FCL’s Alternative Frugality 2023

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: FCL’s Alternative Frugality 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

I never got a call back from the insurance agent so called again today. Finally after talking with several people I found someone helpful. The policy and invoice were mailed to me on 12/6, the date I received the email. I never got it. Less and less I trust the U.S. mail. The agent emailed me the invoice and first pages of documentation and will have the whole 74-page policy mailed to me again. No way that I’d take a chance mailing a check for the policy due date, Jan. 26. I paid by phone (different phone number) with an e check from the account I use for mom’s house. I hope I gave all the numbers correctly! (I have my regular account number memorized but not this account number.) I don’t like to owe money!

Florida has no state income tax but insurance costs certainly counteract that savings. (Value of the house went up a lot so that is one plus.)
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

FloridaCat, DH was supposed to get a certified letter about his pension by U.S. Mail. It was a month late, meaning his pension will start a month late. He raised h*ll about it, but you can't turn back time. The company did e-mail him the second letter.
Mackie
floridacatlover

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:44 pm FloridaCat, DH was supposed to get a certified letter about his pension by U.S. Mail. It was a month late, meaning his pension will start a month late. He raised h*ll about it, but you can't turn back time. The company did e-mail him the second letter.
Honestly I no longer trust the U.S. Mail with large checks and I try not to send checks of any size through the mail but sometimes it’s the only way. And then there are important documents like your DH’s pension letter and my insurance invoice. I can get my mutual funds and stock broker tax statements online but I hope my CD bank tax statements get here OK.
floridacatlover

I moved $128 to my travel fund. This is the Danish and Swedish money I cashed in yesterday.

With my end-of-year stock and mutual funds dividends (which I have automatically deposited into my checking account), I have enough $$ to pay the first car insurance bill in April and about half of my homeowner’s insurance and flood insurance if I still own this house in the summer.

I think I’ll get a good tax refund this year. If it is “too good” I’ll adjust my withholding. I don’t make quarterly payments, just have a % deducted from my IRA.
floridacatlover

I received the insurance packet from my agent (AAA) PLUS I received the original packet. The original packet mail date stamp said 1/3. The agent told me it had been mailed 12/6. This was from Tallahassee so I think it came from the company, Citizens, not the agent.

In any event, the telephone check cleared the bank and I’m glad that is paid. So I paid my Amex bill (trash bill for mom’s house) and now the annual bills are covered. With property taxes, new pipe line, insurance and trash there is not a heck of a lot left in the checking account for mom’s house. But since it earns 0% interest I’m not going to move money from savings until I really need it.
floridacatlover

I spent $16 including tip on lunch yesterday. Paid in cash with my envelope money. I have $129 left in the envelope. I also have $28 in my “Christmas Club” envelope and a $5 in my wallet.

So far this month I have not bought gas and I’ve spent $110.29 on groceries. I’m getting ready to resubscribe to the local newspaper, hopefully $8/month as a “new” subscriber since I haven’t had the paper for the past month. I’ve only spent $10 on gifts this month for a Special Olympics donation. Friend’s birthday lunch is later this month. I already have several really nice “friend” cards purchased at Dollar Tree last year. I’ll put my lunch plus my share of friend’s lunch under entertainment rather than gifts.