November Recycle Use It Up Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
dlrcpa

Re: November Recycle Use It Up Challenge

Post by dlrcpa »

Jackie, when we were shopping at the "antique mall" on Saturday I saw strips of fabric wound into balls (like a yarn ball but with fabric) for sale. Apparently used as a decor item. Ha, they were also selling bags of wooden thread spools with small amounts of thread left on them. Very surprising.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

dlrcpa wrote:Jackie, when we were shopping at the "antique mall" on Saturday I saw strips of fabric wound into balls (like a yarn ball but with fabric) for sale. Apparently used as a decor item. Ha, they were also selling bags of wooden thread spools with small amounts of thread left on them. Very surprising.
That is really strange. Maybe I should start making really skinny strips and winding them up to put in a bowl. I would think they would need to be glued or coated with something to keep them from fraying. It would however be a frugal decorating idea and a way to use up even more fabric.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

There are pictures on Pinterest. Stack them to make a snowman, add buttons etc for eyes and nose.

Last week I hemmed old tablecloth sections to make no-lint dishtowels. I also made a potholder from scrap fabric and towel. I cut a plain camisole from an old nylon half-slip using a tank top pattern. I left the existing lacy hem as the camisole bottom, and just turned under and zig-zagged the neck and arm holes. I may try this with old turtleneck or T-shirt to make a warm camisole/vest.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Well used up a bag of frozen cooked ham from the fridge freezer, along with the last of the onion, 5 garden potatoes and some frozen peas and carrots.

Jackie
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up all the leftovers in the fridge, I will be taking the leftover soup for lunch at work tomorrow.

Used up a skein of grey yarn.

Jackie
Jackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Earlier this week I accidentally had two cans of Littlest Dachshund's expensive hypoallergenic food open at the same time. It would have gone bad before we could use them both up. So I divided it up into two freezer containers, labeled them DOG FOOD -- lest my guys think it was meatloaf -- and popped them into the freezer. I will take them out the day before they're needed to thaw in the fridge.

DH likes to snack on radishes, and some we had washed and trimmed up were getting a little dry-looking. I put them in a bowl of ice water to crisp them back up, and he's been happily eating them.

So far we have had zero food waste this month.
Mackie