dh sudden retirement

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: dh sudden retirement

Post by Jackielou »

Oh my that is a very fast progression. Thank heavens your hubby is home and can help out when needed.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Wow Val -
One of those times when something you are upset about turns out to be a true blessing. I am so sorry your MIL is going through this - and of course the rest of the family as well. They always say Alzheimers has one patient and multiple victims - everyone in the family experiences the disease through coping with it.

Sending good thoughts for all!
sds31

Post by sds31 »

Hiya peeps;
Well, I was going to retire at 50; that was 10 years ago. I don't work in a situation where I have any benefits given to me. So good thing I didn't retire... my affordable but lousy health insurance for 10+ years was pulling out of my state...... so had to go to health markets and get unaffordable health insurance. Now that insurance is pulling out a year later only to have me get even more unaffordable health insurance. I might just have to go without insurance next year and pay the penalty now that I gave up another job because the commute was about killing me. The money saved on premiums can be put aside to actually play cash to the doctor. I was hoping to find a doctor who is competent and reasonable for those without insurance. Then yeah, always got to prepare for house or car stuff like other poster said. Good to know handy people who work for cash or are part of your family, or be handy yourself.

Might have to downsize way more; trying to sell things for extra cash and downsizing. Am trying to use the internet as much as possible to preserve my health without having to go to doctors; had even considered a new career in holistic health, but might be too old and there are so many resources on the internet as well; I already have a background in some aspects of health care anyway. I find the state of health care in this country extremely disturbing and do a lot of research on the net about it all. Lots of crooks and corporate greed.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sds31, I agree the situation with medical insurance is bad. I discovered that the internet and Amazon can provide Rx substitutes that cost a lot less. I just saved $200 buying a substitute over the prescribed medication. Of course it has a degree of risk, but everything does. The cost difference was a motivation. It is important to use judgement with these kind of things. I have heard that there are doctors out there now who will accept a person in your situation.