Devoring December Use It up and Recycle Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: Devoring December Use It up and Recycle Challenge

Post by MackerelCat »

We used up every scrap of tissue paper wrapping gifts. Haven't bought any in years, so I was actually surprised that it finally ran out.

Had the last roll and two chicken tenders tonight that I brown-bagged Monday from a work event.

Am drinking up an open bottle of wine that is not quite to my taste, but I refuse to waste it.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Used up one roll of Christmas wrap, and a few smaller pieces from the "scrap" wrapping paper selection. (Those bits from the end or rolls or from cutting paper to wrap a smaller gift.)

Used the last of the mulberry vinaigrette, so I need to pull more berries from the freezer to make a new batch.

We cooked another pumpkin ... not much in the way of puree, but did get another nice batch of seeds to toast.

DH's department supervisor treated him and his co-workers to barbecue, and told them to split the leftovers and take them home. He came home with enough ribs and pulled pork to make a couple of meals!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

All leftovers gone from the fridge now.

Last of the soup stock used so need to make some more.

Used up a loaf of bread making sandwiches at supper.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I turned some yardage of red and green felt into 6 place mats with my rotary cutter. Once they get dirty I will use the felt as filler/insulation for pot holders. I may get a few years' use from them first though.
rinty

Post by rinty »

The place mats sound lovely !!!

We now have an incredible amount of turkey to work through. DH ate a turkey sandwich for breakfast, which was a bit weird.

I need to use the neck and gizzards to make a really good stock with the juices from cooking. That will get frozen.

Today I'll make 2 pies, one turkey and bacon with a white sauce seasoned with garden herbs we dehydrated, the other turkey and the gravy made with the stock. I will make one BIG one suitable for all the family visiting then 4 smaller ones for just us. Not sure how many foil pans we have left after Christmas but I have enough pie dishes to use and they will go in the freezer. So some batch cooking.

We also like a dish with brown turkey meat covered in a rich cheese sauce served with a green veg and crusty bread. I'd like that tonight. There will be 6 of us so that would be a good tasty and easy meal.

I am expecting a lot from this bird, but I would like a curry then boil the carcass for stock.

Lots of meals anyway.

DH got £20 worth of FREE cinema vouchers from a luxury chain we don't go to so that's a date night there :) They have recliners in all the seats and they are Imax, its brilliant, perfect for penniless January :D

We both have uncashed coin from our savings jars. We used the rest. DH has £45 bagged to put in the bank and I have £52. Its a nice cushion for January . All the odd coin that couldn't make a full bag went into a fresh jar for next year.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I believe one of the DS's added water to Hubby's shampoo a day or two ago. Hopefully that rather large bottle will be used up very soon and I can pull out another partially used one (one from our cottage vacation).

Used up all the salad greens (do have a couple of peppers left).

Used up three loaves of bread since the DS's have been home.

Used up some printed one side papers to make scrap paper.

Used up most of the grey, and blue yarn (tiny bits left that I may just keep and give to the birds come spring) making mitts and toque for youngest.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/