Projects for 2017

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: Projects for 2017

Post by MackerelCat »

Our big project will be rebuilding the back porch, for which we're saving up to have it done professionally. Maybe in the fall of 2017, maybe later. In the meantime, as soon as DH gets over the whooping cough, we need to make a trip to Habitat's ReStore to see what they might have that we can use for minor repairs. The end panel of the exterior siding is rotting, and we have to do something about that.

(That porch totally frosts my cookies. The company that built it only five years ago cut corners like whoa and used the cheapest possible materials. It makes me feel ill every time I look at what they did. We got some things fixed under warranty, but the company owner refused to re-do the entirety of the shoddy work. Wish we'd sued him!)

For smaller stuff, I need to regrout parts of our shower and make a stab at painting our laundry room. I'll be using oil paint and will have to custom mix it myself, thus my reluctance to get started on this. I have the supplies, just need to get the courage up and go at it.

In the spring, DH and I need to put a couple of coats of shellac on the wood on the under eaves of the house. Our house is has an unusual design, one that's held up well for coming up on 65 years, but it needs some TLC, as the shellac is peeling off the wood. That's another thing I'll have to mix up myself and have the supplies.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote:Our big project will be rebuilding the back porch, for which we're saving up to have it done professionally. Maybe in the fall of 2017, maybe later. In the meantime, as soon as DH gets over the whooping cough, we need to make a trip to Habitat's ReStore to see what they might have that we can use for minor repairs. The end panel of the exterior siding is rotting, and we have to do something about that.

(That porch totally frosts my cookies. The company that built it only five years ago cut corners like whoa and used the cheapest possible materials. It makes me feel ill every time I look at what they did. We got some things fixed under warranty, but the company owner refused to re-do the entirety of the shoddy work. Wish we'd sued him!)

For smaller stuff, I need to regrout parts of our shower and make a stab at painting our laundry room. I'll be using oil paint and will have to custom mix it myself, thus my reluctance to get started on this. I have the supplies, just need to get the courage up and go at it.

In the spring, DH and I need to put a couple of coats of shellac on the wood on the under eaves of the house. Our house is has an unusual design, one that's held up well for coming up on 65 years, but it needs some TLC, as the shellac is peeling off the wood. That's another thing I'll have to mix up myself and have the supplies.
After suffering a bout of whooping cough myself a few years back I know just what your Hubby is going through. Hope he gets over it very soon.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Sounds like we are both going to be busy this year! I am determined to paint myself. I just need to learn to take my time and I really want a pop of color. our home is white, gray roof and black shutters. my front and back doors are burgundy and I really like that color. so fingers crossed it comes out ok.

I also saw a floor using only pennys. that caught my eye too. the bag method I think is going to be easier and cheaper. if it does not turn out I will throw a large area rug over it. take care, cj
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I am going to have to modify my goals for the year.

2017 big projects are:

1. put in irrigation line along the south property line for the privacy
hedge line I will plant there. I am figuring 180 ft.

2. get and grade fill dirt in the front yard.

3. Replace the back porch awning.

4. Repair the inside of the wooden porch.

5. Paint the exterior of the porch and most of the house

6. Convert the garage into a workshop
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I have the opportunity to repair the large shed in back. While not on my list, it is a project I hoped could be done, but didn't know if it could be. I had planned to have the garage room done by professionals, but I have decided to do it myself during the summer. Outside projects need to be done during the dry season which is now. Once it is warmer with lows in the 70's later in the dry season, I will start on the exterior painting. After my spring trip to Houston to dance, I will work on the garage room.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Another modification to my list. New roof on the house. So now I have a new awning roof, a new shed roof and soon a new house roof. This creates a much better quality of life. :D