Projects for 2017

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Projects for 2017

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

My projects are all small, related to making minor improvements/changes around the house. They are too numerous to list but I'll name a few:

1. Get curtains for dining room and living room and big windows in kitchen and hang them up (DONE!!! - I got curtains that I love for the living room and dining room from Walmart.com - FREE 2-day shipping - and found a very nice set at the thrift store that work great in the kitchen).

2. I still have to get curtains for the kitchen windows above the sink.

3. Get rid of old cabinets that were left here years ago after a "remodel" (DONE! Sold on Craigslist and GONE).

4. Get wooden table and chairs repaired and put in front of large windows in kitchen (DONE!)

5. Paint one wall of dining room in a color = as an "accent wall"

6. Get rid of dining room ceiling fan (I DETEST ceiling fans) and replace with a light fixture.

7. Hang curtains over built in shelves in dining room (DONE!)

8. Make wind chimes out of collection of old keys.

9. Make a window box for the kitchen windowsill and plant succulents in it.

There are many more, friends...many more. Wish me luck!!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good luck, 2 dogs
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Mid year goals check:

1. put in irrigation line along the south property line for the privacy
hedge line I will plant there. I am figuring 180 ft. (materials bought)

2. get and grade fill dirt in the front yard. (not done)

*3. Replace the back porch awning. -done

4. Repair the inside of the wooden porch. (not done)

5. Paint the exterior of the porch and most of the house (not done)

6. Convert the garage into a workshop (not done)

*7. New shed roof and door -done

*8. New house roof. -done

*9. New safe room door -done

*10.barn door sliding glass safety door-done

-----------------------------------------------------
July-December 2017

1. New front door.

2. paint chain link fence

3. complete other tasks from above.
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I still need to do a lot of outside touch ups and projects. I will have to break them up into monthly projects so maybe they will get done!

this month, june:

paint the light pole
paint the garage doors
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

blondeinbuffalo wrote:Sounds like we are both going to be busy this year! I am determined to paint myself. I just need to learn to take my time and I really want a pop of color. our home is white, gray roof and black shutters. my front and back doors are burgundy and I really like that color. so fingers crossed it comes out ok.

I also saw a floor using only pennys. that caught my eye too. the bag method I think is going to be easier and cheaper. if it does not turn out I will throw a large area rug over it. take care, cj
I didn't use paper bags, but it's the same concept. I bought a roll of brown paper from Lowes for about $8.00 and did a hallway in a rental house three years ago and it turned out beautifully and has held up beautifully. i did put 5 coats of polyethylene on it, because it was a rental, but have been very pleased and it cost me about $15.00 to do after i bought a gallon of elmer's glue, which Lowe's also carries.

I have seen the pennies and it was lovely, but more expensive to do than the brown paper concept.
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I will remember to get the paper from lowes. easier than collecting paper bags! thanks for the tip. I may start out small and do my coffee table top in pennies. I really liked the way it looks and to top is looking a little raggety. enjoy your spring and summer! cj