April Use It Up/Recycle Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: April Use It Up/Recycle Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

rinty wrote:Used the stock from cooking the gammon ( ham ) to make a big pan of soup with leeks, carrots and lentils. I cooked that up early Sunday morning to eat today.

Today I need to stocktake all the fruit and veg........whatever happens nothing can be bought, this place is awash with food. For some reason we have 4 red peppers, maybe make some hoummus for lunch one day, def need to make a carrot /chickpea/onion/jalapeno salad as we have TOO many carrots.
Rinty.. thanks for the idea of hummus.. I have some leftover fire roasted red bell peppers in the fridge and had forgotten how much I love to have red peppers in my hummus. I have been making hummus since the late 1980's.. It is so common now but back then when I brought it to work for my lunch they made fun of me..lol. Probably all of them are eating it now and do not remember that.Although I did not buy a ham I bought ham hocks on sale one day to make ham and beans., Your lentil soup sounds yummy. I have lentils so might check in to finding a recipe on line to make lentil soup..I am always looking for new ways to use up things. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

DH used up some beef broth and the last of a jar of mushrooms, plus the meatballs in the freezer. Today, used up the last of the sausage/pepper mix for sandwiches.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote:
rinty wrote:Used the stock from cooking the gammon ( ham ) to make a big pan of soup with leeks, carrots and lentils. I cooked that up early Sunday morning to eat today.

Today I need to stocktake all the fruit and veg........whatever happens nothing can be bought, this place is awash with food. For some reason we have 4 red peppers, maybe make some hoummus for lunch one day, def need to make a carrot /chickpea/onion/jalapeno salad as we have TOO many carrots.
Rinty.. thanks for the idea of hummus.. I have some leftover fire roasted red bell peppers in the fridge and had forgotten how much I love to have red peppers in my hummus. I have been making hummus since the late 1980's.. It is so common now but back then when I brought it to work for my lunch they made fun of me..lol. Probably all of them are eating it now and do not remember that.Although I did not buy a ham I bought ham hocks on sale one day to make ham and beans., Your lentil soup sounds yummy. I have lentils so might check in to finding a recipe on line to make lentil soup..I am always looking for new ways to use up things. Janet Alliesmama
Janet, I have become a hummus addict. I make at least two batches of it a week and I love putting red roasted peppers in mine too. I am also making it now using black beans and it's delicious. My doctor recommended it in place of eating red meat and I'm so glad he did.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote:
alliesmama4 wrote:

Janet, I have become a hummus addict. I make at least two batches of it a week and I love putting red roasted peppers in mine too. I am also making it now using black beans and it's delicious. My doctor recommended it in place of eating red meat and I'm so glad he did.
That sounds good with the black beans. Do you just use the regular recipe and switch out the black beans for the chickpeas? I am having to eat more meat due to being so low on B-12. I use to be a vegetarian but my neurologist and nutritiousness both insisted I had to start to eat more meat.. I personally am not that fond of red meat. Our body and food needs are so weird. When I went to the nutritiousness she did a hair analysis and blood test.. She said that the Dr who did the testing usually mailed the results. However he was so concerned about the results he called her. He said he had never seen such severe vitamin deficiency before and he was shocked I was still up walking around and going to work. Food is medicine so we need to be careful what we eat that is for sure. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am going through my cookbooks and trying to find new recipes to match up with the food I do have on hand. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Janet, yes instead of chick peas in your hummus recipe substitute black beans. I like red meat, don't know if I could ever become strictly vegetarian. I love to keep a healthy mix between the meat and vegetables and something in my blood work caused him to think I needed less meat. I alternate between garlic hummus, eggplant, red pepper and the black bean.