DeCluttering

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DeCluttering

Post by Dgflorida »

Great ephofma
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

So, I was upstairs and I told myself that I would not go down until I had 5 things to get rid of.

I found a shoe box with taxes from the 1990's, I will be shedding them today. 8-)

IC
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Well I decluttered my 2" strips. Two separate rolls have disappeared from the drawer in the making of this quilt. I think another roll could disappear as I might use it to make binding for this quilt.

Papers have been shredded as well here.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Great work. Great inspiration.
mainer

Post by mainer »

My clutter mostly includes stationery, books, CDs/DVDs, and receipts and invoices.

As for stationery, I have decided to spend the weekend identifying pens, pencils, and sketch pens that work; files, binders, and folders that can be used; pins and clips in good, usable condition. I am also going to phase out the use of ballpoint pens. I'd like to replace these with ink/fountain pens to reduce waste.

CDs and DVDs I'm donating; some I'm selling (hopefully).

Receipts and invoices: This is the toughest. I need to sort them chronologically as well as qualitatively (as in, according to type of service availed).

I have always found it difficult to get rid of books that I once found very useful. I keep them because I think I may need them urgently on some occasion. Moreover, textbooks, especially new editions of older ones that have been phased out, are extremely expensive today. Which makes it difficult for me to get rid of them. The worst part about hoarding these books is the dust they accumulate and the extent of dusting they demand on a weekly basis. I never give away fiction; I hold them dear and take very good care of them. For other kinds, I am making the shift to PDF books or ebooks (no kindle for me, thank you!). I also rely on sites such as archive and Bartleby to identify e versions of books I'd like to give away or donate.

I also have dozens of combs, and I have no idea how to repurpose them. I don't think anybody would want old combs, so I am thinking of using them for crafts. Anybody got any ideas? Interestingly, I have begun using two of the combs to massage my tibialis posterior (to speed up my recovery after long runs.)
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks for bringing this to the top of the posts. I need to start this again.