Suddenly September saving by using it up.

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Suddenly September saving by using it up.

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have some instant potatoes from my emergency stash that have been open for a while so I used some of them the other day with a meal. Then today took the rest of the leftover mashed potatoes and made potato pancakes. Added an egg, some green onions (3) that needed to be used up and some potato flour that needed to be used up. Had the first batch with lunch with baked chicken tenders from the other day. Also had some marinated hot peppers from my garden. This evening cooked the leftover potato pancake batter and ate it with the last of the sausage gravy.

Boiled 8 eggs to finish off a dozen and made egg salad with 5 of them and deviled 3 . The eggs only cost .39 Cent a dozen.. Used up a jar of Miracle Whip. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
lennon05

Post by lennon05 »

I am still trying to use ítems out of my pantry and freezer. I used quite a few ítems over the weekend. I made bean and greens soup over the weekend. I used greens, sausage and chicken broth out of the freezer. I used beans and a cornbread mix out of the pantry. The cornbread mix use by date was several months ago but it tasted fine. Last night, I cooked one of my many packs of chicken out of the freezer . We had some brocolli that needed to be cooked and some shells and cheese with a past used by date to go with it. Tonight we are having pork chops that look like they are close to being freezer burned. I am going to cook some beef one night this week that is looking old too.
Momof2

Post by Momof2 »

Tonight we continued to use up items that thawed during the power outage. I sliced up a partial package of vegetarian “sausage” links that had mostly thawed and that had been in the freezer for a while. Added some Feta cheese that has been in the fridge for a couple of weeks and is nearing the use by date, a small chunk of cheddar, and a little shredded mozzarella along with some eggs to make a frittata. We still have half to eat as leftovers within the next couple of days. I made “buttermilk” biscuits using thinned plain homemade yogurt. RM made smoothies out of fruit that partially thawed, but was still good. I did have to throw out some frozen bananas- too squishy to refreeze, even though they were only partially thawed too. For lunch tomorrow we will have the warmed-up chicken pot pies that had nearly thawed and I baked yesterday. I made chocolate pudding with the milk that had been in the fridge during the power outage in order to use it faster than if left to drink, so we have that to eat as a dessert in a few minutes, and tomorrow too.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I decided to skip a regular grocery shop this week - I only bought laundry supplies, 8 lb. of sugar and 2 cans of pineapple. I need to work through some freezer and pantry items before doing anymore shopping.

Oh I forgot - I did also hit Kmart because I had a (free to me for doing surveys) $25 gift card. Now as a general rule I dislike Kmart but hey, I got 7 lbs. of dog food (coupons), a canister of Wet Ones brand wipes (made for cleaning little hands and faces but I use them to wipe down the bathroom surfaces as they're anti bacterial and much cheaper than the Lysol and Clorox brands - coupon!) and a 3-pack of pantyhose for FREE - and I still have $3 and change left on the gift card.

I have been getting cereal at an "Amish store" for $1.00 a box that is near it's "best by" date. I have to use up a box of that for breakfasts this week. Took a loaf of banana bread out of the freezer today - that will be work snacks for the coming week.

Discovered a recipe online that calls for hamburger - but being vegetarian I just omitted it - and the remainder is diced potatoes and shredded cabbage sauteed in a little oil with some minced garlic and a cup of tomato sauce. It is really good and I made a double batch today that will be lunch and supper again tomorrow.

Work lunches for the coming week will be beans and rice pulled from the freezer and baked potatoes with broccoli in a white sauce. I will have the canned pineapple or blueberries from the freezer for a side.

I wish the ex would get his dang turkey out of my freezer - it is taking up space that I need as I want to stock up on a few things and freeze some meals in individual portions - but no room.
Momof2

Post by Momof2 »

I am doing well with using things up before they go bad. I used some of a cabbage to make coleslaw on Saturday and will use the rest tonight as a side dish. Last night RM and I had some of the left-over shredded pork as sandwiches along with some of the coleslaw and some of an opened jar of applesauce. I used some of the potatoes that were starting to get wrinkly to make mashed potatoes Sunday and then again last night for fried potatoes. I made up a “dinner” with left-over rotisserie chicken (bought on sale) and left over veggies to take to work for lunch. I used the rest of the chicken, along with some chopped walnuts and dried cranberries to make a chicken salad for lunches for both RM and myself this week. I used a previous frozen “dinner” of left-overs for lunch on Monday. Tonight I will use a bag of broccoli from the freezer as part of the stir-fry. I am so grateful that I have access to a microwave in order to heat up leftovers.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Cannot remember everything but working my way through the freezer, Used a small salmon fillet, half bag of frozen broccoli, a dozen eggs, several packages of cream cheese, Half head of cabbage with the last of a small portion of polish sausage. Used 3/4 head of iceberg lettuce. All of my radishes and a package of green onions in several different meals. . Also Used 4 limes in several different recipe. Also used up several different made from scratch salad dressings. I am making everything from scratch and it seems all I do is prep for cooking, cook, and then clean up. Not sure how you ladies manage to have a family,jobs,still cook for them and have a life.... Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama