Suddenly September saving by using it up.

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Suddenly September saving by using it up.

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandy I am with you. Hard to believe it is September already.

I have done an inventory of what I have and have been trying to come up with ideas on what to make to use up what I have on hand. Recently used the following a head of lettuce, a cucumber, an 8 oz block of cheese. The last of a bag of radishes, a green pepper, a package of sliced chicken lunch meat. Also the last of the black olives in a large can..I have a smaller can that was saved to use when I make homemade pizza. The last of a large bottle of laundry detergent. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
lennon05

Re: Suddenly September saving by using it up.

Post by lennon05 »

We were running low on bbq sauce so my husband used a whole and a partial bottle then rinsed out both containers to have enough to make shredded bbq pork last night. He lived some with his grandma who was very frugal too so he learned not to waste things from her. I am working on reducing my paper towel usage by using rags to. clean. I have cut my usage nearly in half.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Love this thread. I recycled an empty grated cheese container (one of those "plastic jars" with the shaker top) to store chopped onion in the freezer. I only used half an onion in my beans & rice so wanted to preserve the rest for using in something later.

Free from the neighbor's garden - 1 green pepper and 2 small tomatoes went into the beans and rice. Used the last of my garlic powder in that as well.

Got some over-ripe bananas at Save A Lot for .20 per pound. Made two loaves of banana bread yesterday - froze one. Am going to make Frosted Banana Bars tomorrow to take to work on Tuesday for boss's birthday. That will use up all the bananas.

Used the last of a 5 lb. bag of flour making the banana bread. Pulled a new bag from the freezer and put it into the canister. I noticed that flour at Save A Lot went down from $1.59 to $1.49 for 5 lbs. Strange to see prices drop for a change.

Recycled free to me chicken wire and old picture frame (in garage when I moved in) into a wall mounted recipe holder for the kitchen. Attached some attractive looking recipe cards using free to me clothes pins (my Mom gave to me).

Rinsed out two laundry soap bottles to do some laundry this morning. Rinsed out an "empty" shampoo bottle and deposided the dregs into my liquid hand soap dispenser in the bathroom.

Wrapped my boss's birthday gift in free to me tissue paper - there was a brand new (huge) package of it in the garage when I moved in. It is obviously a very old package but wasn't opened and the tissue paper is in excellent condition.

Recycled a 5x7 white piece of cardboard into a picture for a yet to be determined wall. I sketched a potted plant using pencil and added very faint spots of red here and there using a colored pencil. I like it. It will be framed in a thrift store frame, spraypainted red.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I had prepped some shredded cabbage and carrots, and set aside some spinach with some chopped onion, cut-up broccoli, and made rice Friday in case DH was peckish when he got home, super-fast to turn all that into stir-fry. He wasn't hungry, he was too tired.

Turns out all that also turns into an awesome soup if you add a little garlic, McKay's chicken-style seasoning, tomatoes, pasta, celery, and some beans. And water. Gone in 2.5 days once DD discovered it was yummy. DS is getting over a cold and can't taste anything.

The excess prepped rice is in the freezer, I make a lentil soup that lends itself well to the addition of leftover rice.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:24 pm I had prepped some shredded cabbage and carrots, and set aside some spinach with some chopped onion, cut-up broccoli, and made rice Friday in case DH was peckish when he got home, super-fast to turn all that into stir-fry. He wasn't hungry, he was too tired.

Turns out all that also turns into an awesome soup if you add a little garlic, McKay's chicken-style seasoning, tomatoes, pasta, celery, and some beans. And water. Gone in 2.5 days once DD discovered it was yummy. DS is getting over a cold and can't taste anything.

The excess prepped rice is in the freezer, I make a lentil soup that lends itself well to the addition of leftover rice.
Sandi great saves! I love when you can use things up in different ways that you had not planned on. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

In August I had to toss some nectarines, cukes and misc produce as we did not eat it up quick enough. lesson learned, will be buying less each trip. I really hate throwing food out.

Will be working on my stockpiles for winter. Got a $10 off $50 for aldhis. so I will buy my canned goods there. $50 will fill out what I already have nicely.

so far September has been no spend. today I have to grocery shop but I will be shopping sales only and couponing at Tops. I will be getting 30 cents off gas this week as well as I have been cherry picking Tops sales accumulated this over a few weeks.

I am getting ready for both the fall and winter and retirement. I have lots of plans of things to do around the home. finally, my home will be really clean! cj