No Waste and Recycle December

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

No Waste and Recycle December

Post by Jackielou »

I want to finish the year off doing the best possible job of using up, wearing out or making do. I also have a few things I want to "refashion", recycle, and reduce.

Anyone care to join this months challenge is more than welcome.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
BevMoore

Re: No Waste and Recycle December

Post by BevMoore »

Yesterday at my PM job we noticed there had been a big spread in the staff room. After our shifts some of us stayed and ate some of the food for our supper. Then our supervisor told us to take away what we wanted since there is no room in her smaller refrigerator for storage. most had left and I was the only one interested so I consolidated everything in two of the large aluminum tubs and brought it home. I was able to portion it out into a half dozen medium size ziplocks to freeze. Since most of the food is starchy I decided we don't need to eat it all at once. The fruit and veggie try was small enough we were able to consolidate that and put it in my supervisor's fridge to have out on Monday. It amazes me all of the food that shows up at this time of year. Since a lot of it is food I usually don't make at home it is a treat for us rather than seeing it go to waste. Besides the cost of the food itself is the fact that the preparation takes time too.

Since I don't have time to attend holiday events this year the salvaged food will be our holiday treats here at home to eat over a longer period of time.

Since I am more or less working in a teaching capacity at my PM job (ASES after school program) I find myself checking with myself to see if an item can be reused before just tossing it. I laughed yesterday when I noticed my supervisor doing the same thing :mrgreen: Our funding is limited so we need to be mindful and not waste.

Bev
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I absolutely need this. I feel like my frugal footing is off balance right now and I really want it back. I have many projects started and not finished. I threw everything everywhere to protect them from the Hurricane, Irma. I need to find them and start using it up. I am about to cut open a toothpaste and use it up. Hubs never finishes a toothpaste because it becomes too hard to squeeze. When I found out he was just tossing them, I volunteered to take them. I am brushing my teeth a lot more now. :D

I also combined a couple of almost empty shampoo bottles. So I expect to report a recycle on them this month. Cat is almost finished with a big kitty litter bucket. I will recycle to the garden. So I am excited that I will be able to participate this month. Love this challenge.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Lets see three days into the month and I have managed to use a few things up.

Used up a small ball of blue yarn knitting the baby blanket.

Used up a scented candle.

Used up one box of Christmas cards that I purchased after Christmas last year.

Used up a bag of frozen leftover ham.

Used up a bag of frozen broccoli.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am in.. I find it inspiring to read what and how others are doing..
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I finished up the lentil soup (what didn't get frozen) that I made on Sunday - had it for lunch on Mon, Tues, Wed, and today.

Used the last two apples and the last of the peanut butter for snacks this week.

Used free sample bottles of Pantene shampoo and conditioner in the shower this week. I have several more samples of various products that I need to use up.

Tomorrow I will use up the last of a roll of Christmas wrapping paper - and I have no more. Then some "out of the box thinking" will take place because I will have a couple more gifts to wrap.