Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:42 am

The way you make do is amazing. Thanks for sharing the details. I read them for inspiration.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:33 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:42 am
The way you make do is amazing. Thanks for sharing the details. I read them for inspiration.
Thank you.. You inspire me with all the garden projects you are doing.. Wish I had the energy and strength to do the same here.. Keep up the good work at your house..Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:42 pm

Had a good day. I had the last of the stuffed cabbage dish with an apple for brunch..then a mid afternoon snack of apple and almond butter. Did not get around to making the gf dough for my pizza for today so made a gf crust using rice, egg, and Parmesan cheese. Was thrilled to find some pepperoni tucked in to the freezer. I cut the rounds in to 4 th's and scattered them over the pizza with the Italian sausage, onion, and bell pepper. Have enough pepperoni and sausage etc left for my pizza for next Saturday.

I baked the last half of my almond flour crackers and rolled sesame seeds on to the top. It already had sesame seeds in the dough. They turned out ok but I think I am looking for a cracker with a little more crunch like commercial crackers but then again maybe it will not happen with almond flour.. Anyway I will make them again but I am still on the hunt for a better cracker.

I picked a handful of strawberries today. First time to get so many in one day. So I sliced them up and added a tiny bit of sugar and served them with a small amount of milk. They tasted good but would have been better if the milk had been cream. Still I was happy that the apples and strawberries came from my tree and plants..

I have just a little bit of ground beef left but cooked it up for Teddi's meals for the next several days.. I will combine it with rice.. Hopefully when I go in to town on Monday to get some blood work done I can pick up some fresh dog food for him. Since he has consumed a lot of this meat I am going to add $2.50 to my food budget to cover what he ate. So with the .50 cents I have left I will see what I can buy at the grocery store on Monday. I will need milk and maybe I can find some cheap something to add to my larder for next week. I am definitely going to crack open a can of dehydrated pork chops for this coming week. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:47 pm

I ate the last of my gf rice crust pizza.. two slices for breakfast and one for lunch. The one for lunch was accompanied by one of my apples and some almond butter. Dinner was sauerkraut and brat from the freezer. I diced the one brat up and added it to the sauerkraut with some diced onion. There is enough left for two more meals. Also thawed out some of my cooked pears. Spent time prepping some of the peaches in my fridge.. For the most part they are still in surprisingly good shape with some areas needing to be cut away.. I did nibble on a few slices while working with them.

I have gone over my budget, pantry, and freezer etc and have decided I need to spend$100.00 next month on grocery stock up. I have done well but need to restock basics as well as store some things for winter needs.. Since I live in a rural area there is no quick run out to the store to pick up something needed or forgotten.

I have gone over my budget and have decided to accelerate payments on my credit cards to get them paid off. I got in to severe debt when I lost my medical insurance and my income went from $54,000 to less than $10,000 when I became disabled.. At the time I was seriously ill and my medicine bills exceeded my monthly income.. I stopped using credit cards in 2015 and working seriously to get them paid off.. Hopefully one by next June and the other one by the end of 2019.. What a relief that will be.. My income has increased but still considered very low income. The one thing that is not set in stone is my food and water budget.. So I am working in those areas to try to save money.. Also a few dollars here and there on my AT&T bill if I do not make any long distance calls.Anything over 8 miles is considered long distance. Cannot get rid of the land land since I live in a area that is hard to get reception on cell phones..I do have a Tracfone for safety when out driving my car in case something should happen on a rural road. So food/groceries are where I have been able to save..
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Had a busy day. Went very early this morning to have my blood work done and since I was close to the bridge went over to Missouri and bought gas. Gas in MO $2.62 gal IL any where from $2.74 to $2.85. I filled my tank instead of getting the usual budgeted amount which is 20.00 per month. It came to 25.83 so not too much over. I used slush funds to pay the overcharge. Also went to Ruler to pick up a few things. I had $3.00 left in my budget and it came to $3.76 but that is ok I used slush fund money to pay the .76 cents. Milk was .57 cents for a half gal and bananas were .15 cents a lb. Same brand of bananas you pay for more at the local chain stores. Picked up a roll of sausage $1.89. That should give me some variety for breakfast. Also bag of potato chips. I use them like crackers since I have not found a decent homemade cracker recipe and the gluten free crackers cost too much. In fact a dietitian is the one who told me to use them in place of crackers.. I do not think she realized I have an addictive personality and will consume more than the average bear...lol.

Working on next months food needs and wants as well as household supplies.

Did not get Teddi's fresh food today. By the time I finished doing all of the above I was too tired to double back to Petco. There is still enough beef and rice to get him through the next several days. Expecting severe storms tomorrow so will not be going out tomorrow. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:10 am

I also have a limited amount I spend on gas. Same amount as you. Only in $10 parts.