Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

So good news - my water bill has been outrageous for the past couple of months. I thought I had a leak or something and was starting to panic. Then, a letter came from the utility company saying my bill was being estimated because my basement door was stuck and they could not get in to read the meter. WRONG!!! The door is NOT stuck -- I open it daily to let my cat in.

So two meter readers came over and I showed them. WOW...JUST...WOW. So, while I still have to PAY a small fortune by the 7th of this month, I will be receiving a LARGE CREDIT on the next bill. So what a relief. :-)

Some creative cooking is allowing me to eat healthy for two more weeks with only spending $21.79 between Dollar Tree, regular grocery store and Family Dollar - and that includes a large bag of cat food -- plus making sure I incorporated items that little guy likes (bananas, frozen french fries). Of course this is incorporating items I already had on hand. I have split pea soup and beans and rice in the freezer, along with several bags of frozen vegetables. One thing I did not pick up is eggs because I won't pay over my "buy price" of $1.25 per dozen. I can work around that.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:17 am So good news - my water bill has been outrageous for the past couple of months. I thought I had a leak or something and was starting to panic. Then, a letter came from the utility company saying my bill was being estimated because my basement door was stuck and they could not get in to read the meter. WRONG!!! The door is NOT stuck -- I open it daily to let my cat in.

So two meter readers came over and I showed them. WOW...JUST...WOW. So, while I still have to PAY a small fortune by the 7th of this month, I will be receiving a LARGE CREDIT on the next bill. So what a relief. :-)

Some creative cooking is allowing me to eat healthy for two more weeks with only spending $21.79 between Dollar Tree, regular grocery store and Family Dollar - and that includes a large bag of cat food -- plus making sure I incorporated items that little guy likes (bananas, frozen french fries). Of course this is incorporating items I already had on hand. I have split pea soup and beans and rice in the freezer, along with several bags of frozen vegetables. One thing I did not pick up is eggs because I won't pay over my "buy price" of $1.25 per dozen. I can work around that.
You are right that eggs are high right now. I did buy them today but I thought the $1.49 I paid at Aldi was high.

Great job on getting the water bill corrected!
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Followed my grocery and errands list to the letter!
Had coupons, ECBs and flyer from CVS and got the mascara and brow makeup on my list, I love makeup and had a coupon for 40% off everything makeup but.... did not buy anything extra, so pat on my own back there. ;)

received a scratch off card from my propane supplier, gave me 25 dollars off . Since I am on the budget plan I didn't know how to apply it...called the local office and the girl said most people on the budget didn't bother with them, well I am not most people I want it applied so she had me send it and budget payment to her and she took care of it.
Haven't been to a store in a week, that means no spending, I have also been throwing all mail order catalogs into the recyclables as soon as I get them.

JCKitty
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:17 am So good news - my water bill has been outrageous for the past couple of months. I thought I had a leak or something and was starting to panic. Then, a letter came from the utility company saying my bill was being estimated because my basement door was stuck and they could not get in to read the meter. WRONG!!! The door is NOT stuck -- I open it daily to let my cat in.

Good that you checked in to having her water meter read and that you will be getting a credit. Great savings on the groceries.. I went to Aldis' the other day and eggs were $1.13 a doz. Just bought one doz to tide me over until I could check elsewhere. Not sure if you have a Walmart in your area but when I had my aide pick up my medication they were .88 cents a dozen there. Normally I do not shop Walmart due to the fact that when they come in the little hometown businesses go belly up. However there had been a recent nationwide shortage on my blood pressure pills and Walgreen's could not get them and Walmart could supply them so I had to go there. Also there is one other pill that I can get for no co-payment at Walmart. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 pm

You are right that eggs are high right now. I did buy them today but I thought the $1.49 I paid at Aldi was high.

Great job on getting the water bill corrected!
Florida cat Wow my Aldi's had eggs for 1.13 a doz and I thought that was high.. I did buy some at Walmart for .88 cents a doz. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I bought the 88c/dozen at Walmart as well. Actually, it was slightly cheaper in the 18 pack and I got those because we eat 4 eggs a day on the low carb diet.