Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

My friend and I had a lovely visit the other day. We had Indian food and she bought my meal for my birthday which was in Jan. Since she is house sitting we just drove around the country side and talked and then stopped for ice cream which was my treat. Even with buying the ice cream my day was cheaper than planned.

Yesterday I ran errands and paid bills. Stopped at Big Lots and stocked up on a lot of things I have been running low on or completely out of.. Some of their prices were too high ie coffee $9.00 a canister and the same canister is on sale at Save-a-lot for $5.99. However bought a large jar of olives for $3.00 a great bargain compared to grocery stores.. Will not bore you with details but if you know your prices you can get some good deals there. I like their ethnic food section. You can pick up things there at a reasonable price compared to grocery stores. I bought dog food at Petco and since I use their rewards program I now qualify for $5.00 off of my next purchase for doggie nephew. I had hoped to go to Save-a- Lot to buy more sausage but it was getting to warm to leave Teddi in the car for even a quick in and out.. so we came home.

I developed a fever during the night and not feeling well but I have soup in the freezer and will thaw that out. Also will make some jello.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have gone over my budget and have saved enough money out of my food budget and some slush funds to buy two apple trees and 25 strawberry plants.. The apple trees are compatible and will pollinate each other and the current apple tree I have..I have tried strawberries in the past in my earth boxes and they did not do well so I am going to plant them in front of the house with a decorative fence to see if they will grow there and not be bothered by critters.. Rabbits will not go over the fence and I do not think deer will come this close to the house..The squirrels never come to the front of the house they are busy in the wooded area behind the house.. Hopefully things will work out.. Total 65.84 Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2

Post by Momof2 »

Janet- thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy reading about what you are cooking and how you are saving money. It is very encouraging. I hope all your plants and trees really yield a great crop for many years to come.

I did get to the grocery store yesterday to grab what we need for the week. I spent $45.00. While I did not need a lot to get RM and me through the week, ALDI had a good sale on pork, so I bought a half pork loin for less than $10.00 and a huge boneless pork roast (barely fit in my large crock-pot) for $14.00. We have lots of pre-cooked pork to make pulled-pork sandwiches. I have 4 bags to go into the freezer and each bag with feed RM and me at least two meals each plus left-over for a lunch. I am actually taking my assistant lunch tomorrow of pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw, baked beans, and banana bread. I will cut the loin into smaller portions which will yield at least 4 different meals plus left-overs from some of those meals.

Even with buying the above, we are still using things up in house. I made homemade pizza Friday night, so used up (in addition to the crust items) a partial pkg. of pepperoni, most of a pkg. of shredded mozzarella that we have been using for a few weeks now (I freeze the shredded cheese and just take out what I need- I almost think I tend to use less when it is frozen), a partial can of tomato sauce that was in the fridge along with the spices to jazz up the sauce. RM had the left-over pizza for lunch today.

I went on a mini cooking spree this weekend. I had used a rotisserie chicken carcass from the freezer to make broth a couple of days ago. Yesterday, I used the broth along with some onion, celery, left-over chicken gravy, and a teaspoon of chicken bouillon (needed a little more liquid) to make the base for chicken and dumplings. I used some frozen dumplings (about ¼ of a pkg.) to finish it off. I could make the dumplings, but these pre-made ones are easy, inexpensive and are my favorite type, so I keep some on hand in the freezer. I had some for lunch and it turned out great. I still have enough to take a couple of times for lunch this week. I boiled eggs to have on hand for breakfast and to use in other recipes this coming week. I had not had a chance to do that since returning from the wedding and boy did I miss not having them to use. I cooked the pork and turned a portion into pulled-pork sandwiches for dinner last night. I used up the boneless pork roast, a partial bottle of barbecue sauce, a partial onion plus most of another one, and a couple of buns that was in the freezer. I made coleslaw, so used up a partial head of cabbage that has been in the fridge for a while, some onion, mayonnaise, along with a few other ingredients already on hand. I used up three cans of pork and beans, another onion, and again a few other ingredients to make baked beans- we have lots of left-overs, but I wanted a lot so that RM and I can have another barbecue meal and I can take some to my friend and assistant I work with. RM and I also had corn on the cob using up the last of the corn I bought earlier in the week.

This afternoon and evening I made banana bread out of the 3 bananas in my fridge that needed using. I thought there were 4, I used up the opened pkg. of walnuts from the freezer (I thought there were more) and I did not want to open another pkg. of walnuts, so I used some peanut butter chips I had left from an earlier recipe. I also have some small pkg. of hot fudge sauce (actually if is from fudge that did not set up, so I packed it into small packages and froze it). I added a pkg. of that to the bread too, so it is a Hot Fudge and Banana bread with Peanut Butter Chips. It turned out really good. I found a recipe for strawberry and cream scones that I made with the strawberries that needed using. I sliced 4 thickish slices from the loin and baked those with mushrooms that needed using. I sautéed the rest of the mushrooms in some oil and butter and put those in the freezer for future use. I also made some mashed cauliflower to go with the pork along with some cantaloupe that I also bought earlier. With all I have cooked, I think I have plenty of food to use for breakfasts, lunches, and some dinners this week making my life a little easier and a lot less stressful.

I also used up several things from the fridge from the items I bought on the shopping trip right after the wedding that I did not have a plan for, and were just sitting in the fridge. I did at least buy things I use a lot, but because I did not have a plan I am lucky I did not have to toss most of it away.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:42 pm Janet- thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy reading about what you are cooking and how you are saving money. It is very encouraging. I hope all your plants and trees really yield a great crop for many years to come.

I did get to the grocery store yesterday to grab what we need for the week. I spent $45.00. While I did not need a lot to get RM and me through the week, ALDI had a good sale on pork, so I bought a half pork loin for less than $10.00 and a huge boneless pork roast (barely fit in my large crock-pot) for $14.00. We have lots of pre-cooked pork to make pulled-pork sandwiches. I have 4 bags to go into the freezer and each bag with feed RM and me at least two meals each plus left-over for a lunch. I am actually taking my assistant lunch tomorrow of pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw, baked beans, and banana bread. I will cut the loin into smaller portions which will yield at least 4 different meals plus left-overs from some of those meals.

Even with buying the above, we are still using things up in house. I made homemade pizza Friday night, so used up (in addition to the crust items) a partial pkg. of pepperoni, most of a pkg. of shredded mozzarella that we have been using for a few weeks now (I freeze the shredded cheese and just take out what I need- I almost think I tend to use less when it is frozen), a partial can of tomato sauce that was in the fridge along with the spices to jazz up the sauce. RM had the left-over pizza for lunch today.

I went on a mini cooking spree this weekend. I had used a rotisserie chicken carcass from the freezer to make broth a couple of days ago. Yesterday, I used the broth along with some onion, celery, left-over chicken gravy, and a teaspoon of chicken bouillon (needed a little more liquid) to make the base for chicken and dumplings. I used some frozen dumplings (about ¼ of a pkg.) to finish it off. I could make the dumplings, but these pre-made ones are easy, inexpensive and are my favorite type, so I keep some on hand in the freezer. I had some for lunch and it turned out great. I still have enough to take a couple of times for lunch this week. I boiled eggs to have on hand for breakfast and to use in other recipes this coming week. I had not had a chance to do that since returning from the wedding and boy did I miss not having them to use. I cooked the pork and turned a portion into pulled-pork sandwiches for dinner last night. I used up the boneless pork roast, a partial bottle of barbecue sauce, a partial onion plus most of another one, and a couple of buns that was in the freezer. I made coleslaw, so used up a partial head of cabbage that has been in the fridge for a while, some onion, mayonnaise, along with a few other ingredients already on hand. I used up three cans of pork and beans, another onion, and again a few other ingredients to make baked beans- we have lots of left-overs, but I wanted a lot so that RM and I can have another barbecue meal and I can take some to my friend and assistant I work with. RM and I also had corn on the cob using up the last of the corn I bought earlier in the week.

This afternoon and evening I made banana bread out of the 3 bananas in my fridge that needed using. I thought there were 4, I used up the opened pkg. of walnuts from the freezer (I thought there were more) and I did not want to open another pkg. of walnuts, so I used some peanut butter chips I had left from an earlier recipe. I also have some small pkg. of hot fudge sauce (actually if is from fudge that did not set up, so I packed it into small packages and froze it). I added a pkg. of that to the bread too, so it is a Hot Fudge and Banana bread with Peanut Butter Chips. It turned out really good. I found a recipe for strawberry and cream scones that I made with the strawberries that needed using. I sliced 4 thickish slices from the loin and baked those with mushrooms that needed using. I sautéed the rest of the mushrooms in some oil and butter and put those in the freezer for future use. I also made some mashed cauliflower to go with the pork along with some cantaloupe that I also bought earlier. With all I have cooked, I think I have plenty of food to use for breakfasts, lunches, and some dinners this week making my life a little easier and a lot less stressful.

I also used up several things from the fridge from the items I bought on the shopping trip right after the wedding that I did not have a plan for, and were just sitting in the fridge. I did at least buy things I use a lot, but because I did not have a plan I am lucky I did not have to toss most of it away.
Momof2 Thanks for the kind words from you as well. I enjoy reading what you are making as well.. I now have a hankering for BBQ, baked beans, and coleslaw.. lol. Also all of the interesting ways you are preparing pork has inspired me to crack open a can of dehydrate pork chops.. They are military surplus.. They are not as bad as they sound...lol.. When hydrated they are like fresh. The can has a 30 year shelf life and once opened I can put the unused dehydrated pork in the fridge until I hydrate them.

I think your banana bread with the peanut butter chips and hot fudge sounds like a new taste sensation. Maybe you should consider entering it in one of those bake-off shows where you get a ton of money for your recipe.. One lady won a huge amount recently on the Pillsbury bake off and it was incredibly simple she just used one or two of their name brand products..

Very nice and thoughtful to treat your assistant to lunch..

Keep up the good cooking and being frugal.. you are an inspiration..
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I had a good day today. Washed sheets and colored clothing and hung them on the clotheslines in the garage. Love the fresh smell and saving money by not using the dryer. Although I do put clothing in the dryer for 10 min with half of a dryer sheet to make them less crunchy..Also washed a load of cleaning rags and cosmetic squares and hung them on drying racks in the house. The cosmetic squares are made from old clothing that is soft.. I use them in place of cotton balls or purchased cosmetic wipes. I save them up and when I have enough I wash them in a mesh bag that you would wash nylons in.

Made a spinach quiche using up the little bits of odds and ends of various cheeses from the fridge and some onion also from the fridge..While rooting through my freezer found two large chicken thighs one will be baked and the other will be made in to Tikka Masala. I still have some of the sauce leftover in the freezer. Also found a bag of cubed bread that has been saved from various odds and ends of bread I have baked so will make a small batch of stuffing to go with the baked chicken. Also found a small container of cooked chicken that will be made in to BBQ for sandwiches.. That will hopefully satisfy my sudden hankering for BBQ..thanks to Momof2...lol. I enjoy trying to think of ways to use up the odds and ends that I have in my freezer or fridge.
I made ketogenic sausage gravy for breakfast.. it is so yummy and quick.. It also stretches the sausage for more meals.

Doing a happy dance here.. Whenever I go out to my mail box I have to walk past my peach trees and I always stop to check on them. They are finally forming tiny little peaches some about the size of my little fingernail or even smaller. I have been concerned due to the harsh cold spring weather.. Looks like a bumper crop.. now if I can get them picked before someone comes in and steals them during the night I will be even happier. This has happened several times in the last couple of years. I had left them on the trees longer to ripen and someone just came in and stripped the trees one night.. I am thinking of buying an alarm system that will activate when someone drives in to your driveway. It is pricey but so is the cost of food. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I went to three different stores today and cherry picked things on sale. Also found a new source for the distilled water I need for my c-pap machine. I will be saving between .21 cents to .40 cents per gallon..Previously purchased water depended on which store I was shopping in at the time. Now it may not seem like a lot of money to a lot of people but every penny matters in my budget and the money saved can be used somewhere else. I need about three gallons of water per month for my c-pap machine ( $3.60 with tax.). Now with a savings of about $1.20 a month I can use the money saved to buy 1/2 gallon of milk for .89 cents plus tax. The milk will be bought at the store where I use to spend $3.60 on water. Now I will have enough money to buy at least one half gallon of milk and .30 cents towards another one for the month. That was my usual spending habit.

I did find a lot of good things on sale and stocked up but still under budget. The nice thing about shopping the various stores is they are all in a loop from my house in to town and then in to another town and back home. The mileage is the same no matter which direction I go and no running all across town to one store here or there to get a few items.

I ran out of energy so did not make it to the farm store to buy my veggie plants will do that on Thursday when Teddi goes for his grooming appointment. .
Janet Alliesmama