Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Janet, did you get your heater yet? You sound like me - I have one of those heaters and just spend most of my winter time in my bedroom - heat yourself and the space you're in, vs. the entire house - that is my philosophy.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:38 pm Janet, did you get your heater yet? You sound like me - I have one of those heaters and just spend most of my winter time in my bedroom - heat yourself and the space you're in, vs. the entire house - that is my philosophy.
Not yet Sheila. It is coming in the next several days. My master bedroom is on the east/west corner of my house so gets more sunshine and warmth than the rest of the house..My house is one story from the road but I have a walk out basement so my bedroom appears to be an upstairs bedroom from the back. I have three large windows that look at over the back wooded area of my property.. It is like sitting in a tree house. I love spending time in here so it is not a hardship like it might seem to some people. I have thought of moving but it is so lovely here and the actual cost of an apartment in town would be more. The house really is too big for one person but when the cold of winter is over I love using the rest of the house and walking on the land outside.
Good luck with all you are working on to reduce your debts and staying frugal. I know you do work hard at being frugal and you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.. Your friend Janet
Janet Alliesmama
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Subbing is helping me not spend money; I pack lunches from leftovers, then I don't want to do anything after-school except go home in the afternoons. :D

Sunday & MOnday were no-spend, Tuesday was a Spend day, then Wednesday, Thursday & today (Friday Nov 9) were no-spend days.

So my totals are:

Spend days: 2
No-spend days: 7

I'm almost halfway to my goal of 15 no-spend days. Yay me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Our daily highs lately have been in the chilly mid- to low-40'sF, and next week will be even colder. However on the days I am subbing, I let the house temp drop (furnace is set to 67F during day-time, but I often turn off the furnace at 7am after it's warmed up from the night-time low setting of 64F), and then I turn on furnace at 4-4:30pm so it's warm again at bed-time. I'm hoping it will help our electric bill a little, then we'll also have our wood-stove in use during the REALLY cold days.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am I am waiting for the store ads to arrive today so I can plan my menu's for the next week or so. I like when they start having the special discounts on holiday foods. I usually stock up on them and freeze them.. I try to go from holiday to holiday for things like butter, cheese, meats etc.. Since I am only one person I can usually buy enough to keep on hand for myself. If you have a family and they get hungry you may not be able to do so. I know men/boys and teens all seem to be bottomless pits and it hard to keep things in the house.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet,

I also wait for special sales on cheese & butter... I bought 40-ish pounds of butter several months ago (or more) at $1.99/pound which is a Fabulous deal in my town.

I, too, am looking forward to turkey sales. I would like to buy 2-3 extra if I can, for future meals -- I let my family eat all they want of it on the first meal (not Thanksgiving dinner), then I package the meat for future meals and can usually get 3-5 additional meals, plus broth, from a 25-ish pound turkey.

I like buying hams around Christmas-time as well, they are easy to cook as well, and will get several extras if I can.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:15 pm
alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am I am waiting for the store ads to arrive today so I can plan my menu's for the next week or so. I like when they start having the special discounts on holiday foods. I usually stock up on them and freeze them.. I try to go from holiday to holiday for things like butter, cheese, meats etc.. Since I am only one person I can usually buy enough to keep on hand for myself. If you have a family and they get hungry you may not be able to do so. I know men/boys and teens all seem to be bottomless pits and it hard to keep things in the house.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet,

I also wait for special sales on cheese & butter... I bought 40-ish pounds of butter several months ago (or more) at $1.99/pound which is a Fabulous deal in my town.

I, too, am looking forward to turkey sales. I would like to buy 2-3 extra if I can, for future meals -- I let my family eat all they want of it on the first meal (not Thanksgiving dinner), then I package the meat for future meals and can usually get 3-5 additional meals, plus broth, from a 25-ish pound turkey.

I like buying hams around Christmas-time as well, they are easy to cook as well, and will get several extras if I can.
Gayle glad you are able to stock up on things at a lower price. I know with a large family you have to do major stock up when you can when the prices are lower.. Your butter prices were great. Good luck.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

It is very cold for this time of year 18 F with a wind chill of 8 F. We had a dusting of snow yesterday and it sill on the ground.. Today I had planned on going in to town to do some cherry picking at the local stores.. I wanted to get in and out before the Saturday shoppers however with the cold, the snow, and my disability decided it was not worth it.. However if things improve I might make a trip in the late afternoon. Some of the sales are on until Tuesday but the really deep discounted ones end today.

I did get some good bargains at Ruler and Big Lots the other day. However all of the small 10 lb turkeys for .47 cent a lb at Ruler were gone.. That is ok I can make a chicken for Thanksgiving and be just as happy. However had hoped to cut the turkey up and freeze it for later on.. My niece is coming for a visit next week and and I found a small chunk of ham that is perfect for the two of us to have a meal and leftovers for sandwiches..It was around $4.50.

I did a minor stock up of things at Ruler. I like that they have organic foods that are reasonably prices and sometimes they are cheaper than the store brand/generic of one our other local chain store.

I am loving my new vacuum sweeper. So glad that I found it on sale and was able to get it even cheaper with survey money and a gift card. I had hoped to not buy anything this year but have been forced to do some purchasing but in the long run it has made things better for me.

I have not been using my new heater. I want to be able to check my meter before, during, and after like LittleMiss recommended. However with the weather could not get out to check on it. We have snow on the ground, not much, but my house is built in to a hill and the area where I need to go is on a slant.. So no need to go out and try to look and fall down.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama