Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

[/quote]

Good job Sheila.. Keep up the good work.. Janet Alliesmama
[/quote]

Thank you Janet. Today was spend...a bag of cat food and dog treats (that I will make each treat into 4 treats and really ration them - dogs get too many treats)

and little guy showed up with NO GLOVES this time and said he doesn't know where any of his gloves are. When I picked him up from his dad's after work (where he was with the babysitter after school) I searched their apartment - no gloves. Now this really burns my britches because I bought the child THREE PAIRS of GLOVES for Christmas - and you would think that between the child and the child's father, they could make those last through January.

Anyhoo...I spent $2 for the child another pair of fleece gloves because this weather is FRIGID and --- WOW. Just. WOW. I would like to have gotten him something better but they will only be lost, left at school, left in dad's car - whatever.

I remember years past when they all lived here, I would lay out $15 or $20 at one of the dollar stores or the other on just gloves and hats for the boys and they wouldn't last the winter.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

One of the reasons I didn't jump on this challenge was the fact that I have to buy clothes this year and am waiting for the final markdowns of winter things. Got those catalogues today so I will be ordering a bunch of new tops, underclothes, nightgowns and possibly a couple of pair of jeans.

I always bulk buy clothes and since I retired in 2010, I have only purchased 5 pair of jeans - 10 pair of underwear and a new top for a wedding. So I knew I had a big dollar purchases coming up.

As long as I am clean and appropriately dressed and comfortable, I could care less about clothes. I think this is one of my biggest money savers - of course I realize most people care way more about clothes than I do. So good job Kitty! A big savings.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Thanks Sheila, Alliesmom and Colonial girl,

Sheila, I bet little ones gloves are either at school or in a vehicle somewhere. His dad sounds like a real piece of work.
I have seen a lot of single gloves and mittens laying in various parking lots. People take them off in the car and then, they fall out when the person exits the car.
Off to the wars....
JCKitty
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Greetings!

I have been trying to keep my spending down as much as possible but it seems like when you make some big plans life likes to toss in a wrench!

I ended up with an urgent care visit yesterday so I am going to have to pay some portion of it. I won't know until everything clears through my insurance how much I will owe. And I have a medical appointment this morning which will also tap my funds for medical. I have been good and set aside money out of each paycheck for medical expenses so it really won't drain any savings or anything...but still spending money.

DH also is going in for a scheduled sinus surgery next Monday so more money going out for that too! I just hope his surgery goes well and alleviates his chronic sinus problems and sinus infections he has been suffering from.

I have been doing real well as far as keeping my food spending down to a minimum. I think I only spent about $26.00 yesterday at the store on food and about another $28.00 on a jumbo pack of toilet paper and some of my shampoo/conditioner and used a $3.00 off coupon on the shampoo/conditioner.

My main focus is trying to tweak my driving habits to where I am not doing so much back-and-forth driving while running errands. I find myself back tracking sometimes instead of planning a better route. I will head out to my bank on the other side of town one day, then the next day head out to the Winco to grocery shop which is also on the other side of town. I find myself zigzagging all over. This is eating up unnecessary gas. This week is pretty much shot as I was all over town with the bank and grocery shopping, then my urgent care visit yesterday and another clinic visit today and in a few days driving DH to the outpatient clinic for his sinus surgery. I will regroup and start in when the dust settles and really make a focused effort on controlling the amount of driving I am doing other than driving to and from work. I see this as my biggest money-leaker in my life right now.

So, I am still sticking with my plan even though it seems a little off kilter at times. Any effort is certainly better than throwing caution to the wind. Take care everyone!
RedRobin

Post by RedRobin »

My big spend for this week was gas for my car, again. $38 @ 2.499 a gallon. Second fill up this year.
It's a quiet week, paid the cable and cell phone bills, that's about it. I get a lot of free food, so I try to stretch it along with what is in my freezer or pantry and stay out of the stores. My big expenses will be when I need things at the grocery store and DH insists on going with me, doubles the expense.
RedRobin
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

jckitty wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 am Thanks Sheila, Alliesmom and Colonial girl,

Sheila, I bet little ones gloves are either at school or in a vehicle somewhere. His dad sounds like a real piece of work.
I have seen a lot of single gloves and mittens laying in various parking lots. People take them off in the car and then, they fall out when the person exits the car.
Off to the wars....
JCKitty
[/quote

He brought ONE glove home today....ARRRRGGGGHHHH...I give up. I cannot afford the expense of a pair of gloves per day.