Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
ephofma

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by ephofma »

I completely forgot to mention that I had a no spend day last week. It was Thursday, April 12. I would love to have a no spend day a week. That would be big for me. I think that will be a goal. Unfortunately, this week will not have a no spend day. Oh well.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I don't try for no spend anymore. The grocery stores have great sales on different days and so I find myself out and about almost every day. And saving money matters.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:31 am I don't try for no spend anymore. The grocery stores have great sales on different days and so I find myself out and about almost every day. And saving money matters.
See, I find that strange. Here the grocery stores all do a weekly sale, and in the first three days of the sale have a weekly bargain (not usually something I want or need). All that driving around almost every day would be using up fuel, and wear/tear on a vehicle. Once a week shopping here, and I do all my errands that day as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

With the cost of gas skyrocketing I am not going to be going anywhere except for the one day a week my aide can either run errands for me, take me shopping, or to a Drs appointment. So far I am doing well except for the few times I have mentioned in the past and they were bought with money saved from other areas..

I am trying to see how far I can stretch a rotisserie chicken. It is basically free since I purchased it with survey money $6.00 plus tax.I did have to use some of the thigh and leg meat to make doggie nephew a couple of meals due to running out of dog food. He gets 2 oz with a 1/2 cup of rice. So two meals for doggie nephew. Then I ate some with veggies a couple of nights.. Also put some diced chicken in a big salad with other things a couple of times. Today made Thai yellow curry with some of the diced meat and sliced the rest of the breast in to slices for Sunday dinner tomorrow. The Thai yellow curry is enough for lunch today and tomorrow or for dinner tonight. I picked enough of the meat off of the bones to make BBQ sandwiches sometime in the near future. I have some Arby's sauce in the fridge that I received accidentally and will use it as a base and add a little more of my own flavoring to make it more tasty. Not a fan of Arby's Sauce. The bones, skin, and the bits of meat will be put in my crock pot to make broth for making cabbage and Italian sausage soup.. It was really good the last time. Will pick more meat off the bones after the water heats up the bones. Much easier to pick off of the bones when warm.. Will use the meat bits in my BBQ sandwich mix and if there is a lot will save a portion to put in a salad. I have a small container of bones and skin from when I made things earlier this week so they too will go in the crock pot to make soup.

The Thai yellow curry was made with the last medium sized red potato I had left. I cooked the cubed potato in water for 5 min and then after removing it from the water thought what a waste of good potato water so I retained about 1/3 of the potato and chopped it up in to very small dice and will be making potato soup with it later on today. The outer layer of an onion was chopped fine as were the ends and a bit of fresh onion in the fridge and they will be added to the soup as well. I am going to add some fresh celery, small diced baby carrots and some mushrooms from or a jar to give it a little more body.. Will thicken the last of my evaporated milk with some cornstarch, add a tad more milk, and will have a nice soup that will cost pennies. The mushrooms are from Dollar Tree and you get a nice big jar for 1.00 and they are from Holland.. I sometimes wonder how anyone makes a profit.. The jar is much bigger than the small cans you pay more for per oz at the grocery store so you get a lot more for your money. I will save some in the freezer to make homemade pizza and cream of mushroom soup.

I am in need of something for desserts and snack so need to make some cookies and small mini peach and/or apple pies or cobblers. I have dehydrated peaches and apples and I have mini pie and cake pans to bake things in my toaster oven. I will hydrate some strawberries to eat as a snack or with my breakfast cottage cheese.

My goal is to try not to buy anything in the way of food until May 3rd when I get paid.I find cooking in mini batches, since I am one person, does give me more variety and uses up a lot of little bits here and there.. Janet Alliesmama
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Jackielou, that used to be the pattern here. Sales ads comes out and it is good all week. But for some crazy marketing reason, not the case now. A little frustrating to have to add which day of the week for which store to my aging mental notes.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Janet, you are amazing. I am glad you have the time and energy to share your efforts with us. They are inspiring.