Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by 2dogs+someCats » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Today was another spend day - more groceries which is allowable. $18 and change worth and after sales and coupons I paid $8.97, so not too bad. I just picked up flour, two boxes of cereal, a bag of hard candy, 4 cans of tomato soup.

I am over budget already for groceries for the month of January - so no more until the second week of February. I have more than enough to last me until then. I need to remember to RELAX and that it is OKAY if I can't take advantage of every single great deal I come across - and that there will be other deals, and others, and others...

There aren't enough copies of the next book for book club in our library system. I looked and I had almost enough on my Amazon gift card to get it free - but not quite - so I headed on over to MYPOINTS to redeem enough points to add another $5 to my gift card account. Once I'm done with the book I will sell it - online or at a yard sale - as it isn't one I desire to keep.

It is my goal, with this book club, to not pay out of my bank account for any of the books - so in case I can't borrow them I need to get cracking on the surveys!

alliesmama4
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 pm
Location: Southern IL

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:14 am

Sheila that is part of my problem with food.. should I buy due to a great deal or hope that it will come up again later.. I do have food but worry about "what if" ie the economy tanks or if I have to pay full price at a later date when the item might really be needed. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

2dogs+someCats
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by 2dogs+someCats » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:39 am

alliesmama4 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:14 am
Sheila that is part of my problem with food.. should I buy due to a great deal or hope that it will come up again later.. I do have food but worry about "what if" ie the economy tanks or if I have to pay full price at a later date when the item might really be needed. Janet Alliesmama
Janet, I have been watching some frugal ladies on YouTube and the ones I really like all say to relax and not spend on those great deals if you really can't afford to. In my case, I need the money MORE to get my roof and refrigerator and some other debt (that I let the ex get me into) paid off.

They say there will always be sales and deals on something you can use and you just build your menus around that. I know it's scary and I'm used to being able to take advantage of every bargain I could get for pennies on the dollar and stock up - but it's a habit I need to break.

I am trying to find a good balance that works for me between being able to stockpile at great savings and saving that money for where it is needed more. It is a learning process and a work in progress.

Good luck my friend - we can figure it out together.

alliesmama4
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 pm
Location: Southern IL

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:38 am

2dogs+someCats wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:39 am
alliesmama4 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:14 am
Sheila that is part of my problem with food.. should I buy due to a great deal or hope that it will come up again later.. I do have food but worry about "what if" ie the economy tanks or if I have to pay full price at a later date when the item might really be needed. Janet Alliesmama
Janet, I have been watching some frugal ladies on YouTube and the ones I really like all say to relax and not spend on those great deals if you really can't afford to. In my case, I need the money MORE to get my roof and refrigerator and some other debt (that I let the ex get me into) paid off.

They say there will always be sales and deals on something you can use and you just build your menus around that. I know it's scary and I'm used to being able to take advantage of every bargain I could get for pennies on the dollar and stock up - but it's a habit I need to break.

I am trying to find a good balance that works for me between being able to stockpile at great savings and saving that money for where it is needed more. It is a learning process and a work in progress.

Good luck my friend - we can figure it out together.
Sheila I know what you mean about it being a learning process and a habit I too need to break.. I have a lot of repairs that need to be done on my house. I looked in to moving in to an apartment but it really is cheaper for me to live here and it is really more practical and more handicap accessible than any apartment. It really does help to know that others are working along the same lines and we are giving each other love and support.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 pm
Location: Southern IL

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:14 pm

I had a big birthday bash today. Had to go in to town to run an errand. Bought two Forever stamps 1.00.. yikes the cost of postage is ridiculous. Since I was within a stones throw of all of the fast food places decided to celebrate my birthday.

Arby's...$ 2.16 for 2 roast beef sliders with horsey sauce. After 4:00 PM they are a $1.00 instead of $1.49.. Teddi is allowed to have one without the bun or the horsey sauce. So extra horsey sauce for me for another day. I save the bun and use it the next day to make my version of egg McMuffin..McDonald's share a driveway with Arbys's so drove over and bought 3 chocolate chip cookies $1.08. So Birthday celebration $3.24. Not bad. Although there was a big hold up in the line at McDonald's and I was right by the menu board and was horrified to see their choc chip cookies have 170 calories in each cookie. Yikes! I never realized that.. So off of my radar plus nothing was gluten free.. I will take a couple of generic benadryl and call it a day.Janet Alliesmama.
Janet Alliesmama

2dogs+someCats
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by 2dogs+someCats » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 am

alliesmama4 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:14 pm
I had a big birthday bash today. Had to go in to town to run an errand. Bought two Forever stamps 1.00.. yikes the cost of postage is ridiculous. Since I was within a stones throw of all of the fast food places decided to celebrate my birthday.

Arby's...$ 2.16 for 2 roast beef sliders with horsey sauce. After 4:00 PM they are a $1.00 instead of $1.49.. Teddi is allowed to have one without the bun or the horsey sauce. So extra horsey sauce for me for another day. I save the bun and use it the next day to make my version of egg McMuffin..McDonald's share a driveway with Arbys's so drove over and bought 3 chocolate chip cookies $1.08. So Birthday celebration $3.24. Not bad. Although there was a big hold up in the line at McDonald's and I was right by the menu board and was horrified to see their choc chip cookies have 170 calories in each cookie. Yikes! I never realized that.. So off of my radar plus nothing was gluten free.. I will take a couple of generic benadryl and call it a day.Janet Alliesmama.
Janet, I am sorry I didn't realize it was your birthday - happy belated! I am looking forward to my free Dunkin Donuts beverage for my birthday - but it isn't until fall. I hope you and Teddi had a good day out.

Post Reply