Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:29 am Do you ever use a food pantry service? A couple of churches offer that here.
We do have food pantries but I feel that 1. there are more people in need than me. 2. I am a diabetic on a gluten free diet.. I am concerned about getting food I cannot use that could go to others more in need. I will manage ok. I have been able to meet my needs with what I have as well as making use of survey money and gift cards from surveys to fill in with some needs and wants. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have been going through cook books looking for ideas on what to make with the food I have on hand. Found an interesting recipe for black bean soup from Lone Star Steak House. It is really inexpensive and simple to make and yet looks yummy. Thinking of how much we spend on eating out for atmosphere and service. What a waste of time and money. I have pinto beans soaking overnight and will cook them today and make chili tomorrow. I have a lot of dried beans and will be looking in to ways to use them up. I am seriously thinking of going back to being a vegetarian or at least cutting back on meat.. It is not due to the cost I just am not that fond of the mess involved with meat as well as cooking and eating it. I will stock up on chicken on sale since I prefer it over red meat.

Today I am going to make meatloaf and scalloped potatoes. Will make the potatoes using the free potatoes from my aide. I have green beans in the freezer and will cook them with some onion. Will add some applesauce from the fridge.. It is kind of blah so thought I would hydrated some dried apples and add them in with a little bit of cinnamon. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sounds like a great meal. I look forward to hearing about the black bean soup. I am also drifting into more dry beans. Tis the season, so to speak.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:07 am Sounds like a great meal. I look forward to hearing about the black bean soup. I am also drifting into more dry beans. Tis the season, so to speak.
Unfortunately none of my meals and plans have worked out. I should not post things until after they are completed.. I do like beans and once was a vegetarian. I am trying to add them back in to my diet to see how well things go with my diabetes. The Diabetic Assoc does recommend beans just need to learn the proper way to use them. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet- I am glad to read that thing seem to be getting a little better. Even though I do not get a chance to post often lately, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Still doing well on my no spend challenge. My grocery spending is averaging about $65.00 a week for RM and I, but that is three meals a day plus snacks (plus I bake/cook and share with my friends at work), so I am not unhappy with the amount. Other than that my spending for the year is way down. I did splurge and bought tickets for Medieval Times Dinner Theater as a going away treat for RM and I- we are going on Saturday night.

RM leaves Monday. I am going to do a modified pantry/freezer challenge from now until the end of the year. I have a packed small chest freezer as well as a packed freezer in the kitchen, and an over-flowing pantry. I am going to RM’s graduation in December, so hope to save most of the grocery budget for the next couple of months to assist with the expense. I also just need to use up some of the food in the house and downsize the amount now that it is just myself. I will allow myself to buy items such as fresh fruits and veggies and dairy products. I will also pick up a small turkey for Thanksgiving, and then something for Christmas dinner.

This weekend RM and I are moving things around in the house. I want to switch the beds around, so that the twin bed is in the extra bedroom, and the double will then be in my bedroom. It can get crowded sleeping on a twin when the cats join me, which is about every night. I also want the dresser that is in RM’s bedroom since it will no longer be needed by him. In addition, I want to move a couple of the large bookcases into that room- that room will be the pet area/extra room for some things so that the living area will have a little more open room. It will be a busy weekend. Well, off to get ready for bed. I have a meeting first thing in the morning. Have a great night.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:40 pm Janet- I am glad to read that thing seem to be getting a little better. Even though I do not get a chance to post often lately, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Still doing well on my no spend challenge. My grocery spending is averaging about $65.00 a week for RM and I, but that is three meals a day plus snacks (plus I bake/cook and share with my friends at work), so I am not unhappy with the amount. Other than that my spending for the year is way down. I did splurge and bought tickets for Medieval Times Dinner Theater as a going away treat for RM and I- we are going on Saturday night.

RM leaves Monday. I am going to do a modified pantry/freezer challenge from now until the end of the year. I have a packed small chest freezer as well as a packed freezer in the kitchen, and an over-flowing pantry. I am going to RM’s graduation in December, so hope to save most of the grocery budget for the next couple of months to assist with the expense. I also just need to use up some of the food in the house and downsize the amount now that it is just myself. I will allow myself to buy items such as fresh fruits and veggies and dairy products. I will also pick up a small turkey for Thanksgiving, and then something for Christmas dinner.

This weekend RM and I are moving things around in the house. I want to switch the beds around, so that the twin bed is in the extra bedroom, and the double will then be in my bedroom. It can get crowded sleeping on a twin when the cats join me, which is about every night. I also want the dresser that is in RM’s bedroom since it will no longer be needed by him. In addition, I want to move a couple of the large bookcases into that room- that room will be the pet area/extra room for some things so that the living area will have a little more open room. It will be a busy weekend. Well, off to get ready for bed. I have a meeting first thing in the morning. Have a great night.
Momof2 so good to have an update from you.. I know you are going through a lot with RM leaving and then you have a job to deal with. Does not leave you much time to post.. Sounds like you have some good plans in the works for your future food usage..

I know what you mean about being crowded.. Teddi sleeps with me and since I have been sleeping on the couch it is a bit tight.. However with the colder weather he does make it nice and toasty.

Thank you for remembering me in your thoughts and prayers.. I am doing ok and really compared to what others are going through I have nothing to complain about. You take care and stay in touch when able.. Keep up the good with your food prep and budget. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama