Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
RedRobin

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by RedRobin »

I can't believe a week has gone by since I posted. My only spend was gas for my car (minivan actually). It usually runs me about $35 a week and I generally use it for work.

No stores, unless you count DH going out. He bought windshield wiper fluid for my car and nose drops for himself at Walgreen s. The wiper fluid was an essential safety item and, well, you know about nosedrops. His spend was less than $10. He also bought himself a hogies another day, used a $2 coupon and spent less than $10. He got lunch and dinner from it. The gas he used was miniscule since both places were within walking distance, if he was able to walk there.

RedRobin
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Alright, Janet. Count me in! Thanks for explaining.

I'm going to do a no-spend on clothing now that I've replaced what I felt like I had to replace in my wardrobe. I really and truly do not need more clothing for any season including this current one!

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:59 am
delighted99 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 am I am interested in participating but I feel that I will have a hard time. I can think of a few items that were or will be in bad shape that I'll want to replace. And it is just so easy to order a replacement online.

I recently replaced a T-shirt I had had for nearly 8 years. It was beige and went with so many things. Found an online sale that actually gave me 2 for the price of 1.

I have a pair of shoes that look like moccasins. They are made of man-made materials though and probably didn't set me back more than $20. Well the seams are looking worn. I want to replace with a higher quality product that will last.

See.. this is why it's so hard for me to participate ;)
delighted we can all make our own "will not spend" categories.. If you need or want to spend on things that is your decision.. I just think it is going to be fun and interesting to see how far I can go without buying anything but food and medication for myself and my doggie nephew.. Hope you can come along for some of the adventure. Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

delighted99 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 pm Alright, Janet. Count me in! Thanks for explaining.

I'm going to do a no-spend on clothing now that I've replaced what I felt like I had to replace in my wardrobe. I really and truly do not need more clothing for any season including this current one!

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:59 am
delighted99 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 am I am interested in participating but I feel that I will have a hard time. I can think of a few items that were or will be in bad shape that I'll want to replace. And it is just so easy to order a replacement online.

I recently replaced a T-shirt I had had for nearly 8 years. It was beige and went with so many things. Found an online sale that actually gave me 2 for the price of 1.

I have a pair of shoes that look like moccasins. They are made of man-made materials though and probably didn't set me back more than $20. Well the seams are looking worn. I want to replace with a higher quality product that will last.

See.. this is why it's so hard for me to participate ;)
delighted we can all make our own "will not spend" categories.. If you need or want to spend on things that is your decision.. I just think it is going to be fun and interesting to see how far I can go without buying anything but food and medication for myself and my doggie nephew.. Hope you can come along for some of the adventure. Janet Alliesmama
Delighted 99.. I am delighted to have you on board...Looking forward to seeing how you do.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I took part of my Christmas tree downstairs and while there decided to take a quick check in to what is left in my emergence pantry. I was happy to find 3 cans of dehydrated pork chops! They are military surplus and have a shelf life of 30 years. When they are hydrated you cannot tell them from fresh pork chops.. I might start to oink but at least I have some extra protein to fill in when my current protein dwindles down. I also bought the military surplus dehydrated cottage cheese.. DO NOT BUY! It is the most vile stuff I have ever tasted.I have tried several cans and it is all nasty..I still have quite a few cans of dehydrated fruits and some veggies. Also a large can of a product called Better Than Milk. I have used it off and on and will open the last can soon.. The only thing I have found wrong with it is that it does not allow instant pudding to thicken up.I have not cooked any pudding so not sure about that. I even like to drink it or use on cereal on the rare occasions I eat cold cereal. My goal is to not buy anything except food and medication and things that are in the budget so far have done well. Of course this is only 15 days in to the challenge.. but finding the pork chops has helped me try to to cut back on even buying food.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Is it too soon to call 2018 a wash? ;)

4 out of 16 days. 25%. Today, because we need spackle (taking down pics to paint & 'neutralize' for sale prep). I told him Sunday while at Lowe's that we needed spackle. Men :roll: - love them, but when they believe something... "I believe there's some in the paint cabinet." I don't think so. "Let's look again." Yeah.

Also need to buy a book on beginning container gardening for a budding gardener we know who lives in a rocky area but has containers. I love the kids in our kids' group, everyone has the most earthy hobbies. Two knit hats and scarves for the homeless and only ever want yarn! The boys are a little harder but this one has decided he's going to grow some of their food. Can't knock that. None of these kids is over 16.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:33 pm Is it too soon to call 2018 a wash? ;)

4 out of 16 days. 25%. Today, because we need spackle (taking down pics to paint & 'neutralize' for sale prep). I told him Sunday while at Lowe's that we needed spackle. Men :roll: - love them, but when they believe something... "I believe there's some in the paint cabinet." I don't think so. "Let's look again." Yeah.

Also need to buy a book on beginning container gardening for a budding gardener we know who lives in a rocky area but has containers. I love the kids in our kids' group, everyone has the most earthy hobbies. Two knit hats and scarves for the homeless and only ever want yarn! The boys are a little harder but this one has decided he's going to grow some of their food. Can't knock that. None of these kids is over 16.
Good to hear there are some kids that are trying to do something for others.. Way to go kids. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama