Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
gaylejackson2

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by gaylejackson2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pm

alliesmama4 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 am
I have been reading about sour dough bread being acceptable for people who are gluten intolerant and maybe for some celiacs. I am gluten intolerant. So I am going to give it a try. On one of the gluten free boards a man posted that he can eat Triscuits due to them being made with White whole wheat..so I tried them and I did not have a reaction. So I am going to expand my gluten free diet to include white wheat products..If I can do that it will be better for me due to being diabetic the gluten free flours are very high glycemic and cause problems and they can be very expensive. If I can tolerate the white whole wheat I will use the $10.00 off coupon from King Arthur Flour to buy more flour. It cost $5.00 plus change for each bag of flour.. It will be a real saving. Janet Alliesmama
Some people have all the luck. ;)

I cannot eat anything made from wheat (or rye or barley), no matter whether if it's white or red wheat.

I have not tried sourdough wheat bread, because I just do not want to take the chance that it WON'T work for me... my Celiac Disease is hard enough to deal with without taking more chances (then there's all that flour dust). Besides, I've come up with good substitutes for the gluteny foods I used to love... and sourdough bread hasn't ever turned out right for me.

However, Good Wishes to you with your experiment.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 am

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pm
alliesmama4 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 am
I have been reading about sour dough bread being acceptable for people who are gluten intolerant and maybe for some celiacs. I am gluten intolerant. So I am going to give it a try. On one of the gluten free boards a man posted that he can eat Triscuits due to them being made with White whole wheat..so I tried them and I did not have a reaction. So I am going to expand my gluten free diet to include white wheat products..If I can do that it will be better for me due to being diabetic the gluten free flours are very high glycemic and cause problems and they can be very expensive. If I can tolerate the white whole wheat I will use the $10.00 off coupon from King Arthur Flour to buy more flour. It cost $5.00 plus change for each bag of flour.. It will be a real saving. Janet Alliesmama
Some people have all the luck. ;)

I cannot eat anything made from wheat (or rye or barley), no matter whether if it's white or red wheat.

I have not tried sourdough wheat bread, because I just do not want to take the chance that it WON'T work for me... my Celiac Disease is hard enough to deal with without taking more chances (then there's all that flour dust). Besides, I've come up with good substitutes for the gluteny foods I used to love... and sourdough bread hasn't ever turned out right for me.

However, Good Wishes to you with your experiment.
Thanks Gayle.. I do hope it work too. I am gluten intolerant not Celiac so hopefully things will be ok. I am also a diabetic and the gluten free flours and products send my blood sugar over the top.

I admire all that you do with your family, sub teaching and still manage to run a household especially since you have to cook differential due to your Celiac disease.. You are amazing. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:10 am

I have gone over my grocery budget and I have gone over my budget..lol. However that is the exception to my challenge... it is ok to buy food and medicine for myself and doggie nephew. There have been some good bargains at the grocery stores so I am buying them since the products will be needed in the future so why wait and pay full price. With what I have bought I will be able to cut back on buying food in the next several months and will most likely come out ahead...Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:34 pm

alliesmama4 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:10 am
I have gone over my grocery budget and I have gone over my budget..lol. However that is the exception to my challenge... it is ok to buy food and medicine for myself and doggie nephew. There have been some good bargains at the grocery stores so I am buying them since the products will be needed in the future so why wait and pay full price. With what I have bought I will be able to cut back on buying food in the next several months and will most likely come out ahead...Janet Alliesmama
Janet, I haven't gone over my food budget yet - but I have "wasted" about $7 on snacks this month that wasn't necessary. UGH.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:55 pm

2dogs+someCats wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:34 pm
alliesmama4 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:10 am
Janet, I haven't gone over my food budget yet - but I have "wasted" about $7 on snacks this month that wasn't necessary. UGH.
Sheila I am being very diligent in recording everything in a note book. I want to see where it is all going.. Food and medicine have been my one default area and I am finding that is a fault in my thinking. My Dollar Tree snacks/treats are only $1.00 but after a while it adds up.. Seeing it in black and white will make me think..Is that really necessary? Many times I am thinking I am doing well and entitled to a treat but when does that stop? I have things at home that I could turn in to a treat but it does require planning and work.. Anyway I am glad that I am doing it and seeing where I can improve. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 am

I love food bargains too, Janet. I take advantage of them when I can and I am happy to open the freezer and find healthy meats stored nicely in dinner perfect containers. :D