Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 pm
I have been reworking my budget due to unplanned expenses.. Bummer! There seems to always be something waiting in the wings to present itself..I am concentrating on trying to undercut what is in the budget. I am hoping with Spring on the horizon the weather will improve and I will soon be able to cut back on my utility bill. With the severe weather and the power outages on the east coast I am thinking more and more about getting some kind of auxiliary heating in my house.. ie fireplace insert. Red Robin, who lives on the east coast, said her DD has not had any power for days and she and her family have been living in a hotel but that runs in to a lot of money. They were told not to expect power restoration until the 14th! I have gone as long as 4 days with just my fireplace and could barely keep the heat up to a tolerable level by burning wood round the clock but in an open fireplace the heat goes out faster than it stays in. Also working on cooking from scratch and stretching what I have. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I was rummaging around in the fridge and found more chicken scrapes and some leftover coconut milk from when I made Thai yellow curry. So I decided to make Thai yellow curry for dinner. I already had extra boiled potatoes in the fridge so I slices one up , added half of a sliced onion to the coconut fat, and then after the onion was cooked added the chicken and potatoes. I have a fabulous Thai yellow curry paste from Amazon.. It was free with a gift card.. It actually comes from Thailand and had to go through customs.. The real cost is only $8.00 and change. Do not know how anyone is making money on it but it is organic, gluten free, and soooo good. The jar states to use 1/2 of the jar for each recipe but since I am only making enough for one person to have 2 small servings I use 1 tsp. I am going to buy another rotisserie chicken sometime this week and I am going to see how far I can stretch it.Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

Momof2

Post by Momof2 »

Janet, sorry to hear about some unplanned expenses, but I know how you feel. I just dropped my car off at a repair shop- hoping it will not be too much. Looks like another month of pantry challenge for me, and reworking my budget to a lower amount for groceries to make up the difference.

Sounds like you are eating well on your pantry challenge Janet. I love how positive you are. It is not like I cannot live by dropping my food budget even lower, but I do enjoy cooking (which is probably a good thing- certainly is cheaper), and going grocery shopping is enjoyable to me since I like to try new foods. Oh well, it is in God’s hands- all I can do is wait to see what the amount is. I certainly do not know anything about cars!

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm
Janet, sorry to hear about some unplanned expenses, but I know how you feel. I just dropped my car off at a repair shop- hoping it will not be too much. Looks like another month of pantry challenge for me, and reworking my budget to a lower amount for groceries to make up the difference.

Sounds like you are eating well on your pantry challenge Janet. I love how positive you are. It is not like I cannot live by dropping my food budget even lower, but I do enjoy cooking (which is probably a good thing- certainly is cheaper), and going grocery shopping is enjoyable to me since I like to try new foods. Oh well, it is in God’s hands- all I can do is wait to see what the amount is. I certainly do not know anything about cars!
Momof2 I wish you well with your car. Last year mine stopped literally in the middle of the road.. I was able to get it started every time it stopped but it died at every stoplight and stop sign then as I got closer to home it would just stop whenever it felt like it..lol. It would start again but since I live out in the country I was really sweating it. It had something to do with the throttle.. Anyway $530.00 later I decided that it was too risky for me to drive around without a cell phone and I signed up for AAA plus. That is in case you need to be towed more than 100 miles.. I had AAA but that only covered a 3 mile tow and since I live in a rural area I knew that it was a possibility. Of course I had to work that in to my budget.

I try to keep a positive upbeat attitude. Life is going to throw you curve balls no matter what your plans are. If you become bitter or angry etc it does not change a thing..it only makes you more miserable. Good luck with your pantry challenge I find that is one area of my budget I am able to squeeze something out of. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

One of the areas where I can cut my budget is buying groceries. Recently I added
$20.00 to my Amazon account from various surveys and today earned another $3.00 on Pine cone research which will be $3.00 in cash. I already earned $3.00 from them that I have not transferred to my bank account yet. So looking forward to buying food items on Amazon and will use Pine cone cash to fill out my order through them or save to use at local grocery stores as needed. Also a while back Amazon messed up an order and they decided to credit my account and gave me the food for free so that is another $7.00 and change.. a total of around $38.00 saved to go towards free food. My food budget will go towards paying down some other bills. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Mmof2, cars are always scary. I hope you get a good, cheap repair. Janet, I also went with the 100 mile AAA. I had used a different company which was cheaper, but at renewal time, they refused to tell me how much they were charging, but they wanted my credit card "on faith". I said no. I said, if you won't tell me your charge, I won't do it. They called several times....from India. "It is our policy......" So bye-bye.