No waste in January 2018

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: No waste in January 2018

Post by Jackielou »

No jazzy name coming to mind. I think the cold weather froze my brain.

So since the beginning of the year I have used up a package of Red Lobster biscuit mix, put teeny portions of veggies in a container in the freezer to be used to make soup down the road, and packaged leftovers to be used in another meal this week. That meal will be today.

I also added a bit of water to what was left of the spray and wash to use on the laundry this week. Now that the bottle is clean (will need a bit more of a wash) I am going to use it to make my own cleaners.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

I am trying for no waste. It is hard for me because dad really does not like leftovers.
This week I have:
Used the blender to make mock " cream of " chicken soup I blenderized the leftover chicken and dumpling soup. Using in creamy chicken enchiladas.

Blenderized leftover cheese potatoes, used some in mac and cheese instead of making a cream sauce and adding cheese to make the mac and cheese. I used the creamed cheese potatoes and cheese and the mac and cheese was awesome.

Used the last of the overripe apples in smoothies, one day I threw in the last 1/2 cup of green salad and it was fine.

Scraping everything out of cans and tubes for use. I love rubber scrapers.It doesn't take much to thrill me evidently :roll:
Trying to do whole loads of laundry... this may not sound like a big deal, but for me it is....I hate seeing laundry in the hamper.
Today using up leftover steak (not very good and tough) to make roast, potatoes and carrots in the crockpot. By the time I doctor it with herbs and onions it will be good.
JCKitty
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Tonight I used up some soft celery, part of an onion and four small wrinkly potatoes in our soup. Also some ham - but you all know how that goes - using up ham is akin to counting the sand grains on the beach.

Finished another small tube of body lotion tonight. I just soak up lotion this winter. The indoor heating and dry cold air may be my ticket to a centerfold spread in Armadillo monthly. Bloom where you are planted and all.

Kitty - we got some tough steaks given to us - putting 3 in the crockpot to make stew on Sunday. They make great beef stew.

Night all.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up another ball of yarn on the vest.

Used up the leftover mashed potatoes, the leftover chicken wings and the leftover stir fry at supper last night. What was left of the stir fry was put into a tinfoil container for youngest DS.

CG, I am going through the lotion this winter as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I used up every drop of my latest batch of homemade vegetable soup, simply by taking it to work for lunch every day this week.

Lately I have been using the juice from canned diced tomatoes in my homemade bread recipe in place of milk. I add some dried basil and a sprinkle of coarse salt on top of the loaf before baking - delicious "tomato-basil bread". The tomatoes go into soup on on homemade pizza or even in scrambled eggs.

Brought my "empty" peanut butter jar home from work. I will bet the farm that I get enough peanut butter out of it for my biscuit in the morning. :-)

I rinsed out two "empty" dog food cans with hot water and the resulting "broth" (BLECH!) went onto the food for the stray cats tonight. I don't buy canned food of any kind for the pets very often - but with this weather - I wanted to give them all something extra.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Today I cut open and used the last of a bottle of foot lotion.

Also used up leftover creamed corn and scalloped potatoes in another batch of ham chowder.