No waste in January 2018

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
colonialgirl

No waste in January 2018

Post by colonialgirl »

Jackie - I did not see a no waste thread for January so I hope it is ok I started one. This is my favorite goal thread and I really want to try and be mindful of waste this year.

Starting today - I used up two almost empty body lotion bottles. Cut them up and got the last bits out of the inside. I am going through lotion like crazy with this stinking cold.

Also used up part of a head of lettuce about to go bad.

Hoping to post some use up every day.
2dogs+someCats

Re: No waste in January 2018

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

CG, I am so glad you started this thread, it is one of my favorites too and I get inspired by a lot of the "use-ups" that people post.

I am trying to think of what I have used up / not wasted recently...

This past weekend I used up every last bit of my flour making biscuits and I got the whole 1/3 cup of shortening the recipe called for out of what some might call an "empty" can. I scraped that can clean!!

I used a "free to me" blank note card to send a note of sympathy to a friend whose father passed away on Christmas day. I used one of the same blank note cards to send a thank you note to my parents for the very thoughtful and useful Christmas gifts they gave to me. The note cards were around forever at work - I mean for at least the last 13 years - and they were boxed up and put in a give-away pile one day a couple of months ago.

Thank you for the reminder to cut open my lotion bottle when it seems empty! Love this thread!
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Sheila -
Hubs always calls leftover meals free meals. I always think of "dregs" as free products.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Crudites that were taken on the trip were not all eaten - left over carrots & celery. Add lentils, spices, onion... sounds like "leftover" soup to me :lol:

I read Sheila's point about not eating out for a year. Short of 2 other conferences for which food on-site is part of the program, I'm going to go for no eating out. DH shouldn't miss it much, he eats out every time he leaves town and at least once a month at work. There are only 2 places the kids actually enjoy, and of course both of those are expensive and frankly the food is so not worth their prices.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

colonialgirl wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:07 pm Jackie - I did not see a no waste thread for January so I hope it is ok I started one. This is my favorite goal thread and I really want to try and be mindful of waste this year.

Starting today - I used up two almost empty body lotion bottles. Cut them up and got the last bits out of the inside. I am going through lotion like crazy with this stinking cold.

Also used up part of a head of lettuce about to go bad.

Hoping to post some use up every day.
Glad you started this CG.

The challenge does keep one focused on getting the most bang for their dollar.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Unfortunately Jackie, I wasn't clever like you to come up with a jazzy name. So feel free to change it if you have something!