Coffee Filters and Coffee Grounds

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Coffee Filters and Coffee Grounds

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

One of my frugal friends here reuses coffee filters for cleaning and such. I do apologize for not being able to recall who passed on this great tip to me.

I would like some more information and some suggestions, please. How do you clean the grounds out of the filters? What do you do with the used grounds? Does anyone have suggestions/ideas for what used coffee grounds might be useful for?

How do you dry out the washed out filters? How/where do you store them? What types of uses do they have after cleaned and dried?

Thank you so much for your help/ideas.
Jackielou

Re: Coffee Filters and Coffee Grounds

Post by Jackielou »

Coffee grounds can be used in the garden. I empty my grounds into a pail (along with all the other bits that can be used).

As far as using the filters I believe DG does so perhaps she will be better able to answer that part of the question.

Just one thing to be aware of, washing the grounds down the sink is not a good thing. We questioned a plumber here once (mainly because one lady said that was the best thing ever) who said that all it did was allow any fat to accumulate quickly into a hard as cement plug. Guess what he found in the drain in question......a cement like plug of coffee grounds and fat. This was at the ladies house that said it was okay (I had said no it wasn't and she wanted so badly to prove me wrong).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Roses LOVE coffee grounds. Most acid-loving plants do - rhododendrons, azaleas. Tomato plants.

My blueberry bushes didn't like them. :shock: But then, those things... impossible to please. I gave them up, go to a pick-your-own now.

Just mix them in with your regular compost. These release loads of nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus...

Which makes me now believe more than ever that coffee IS good for you. So I can drink it without guilt! ;)
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I wash the filters out into a container. I do not let the grounds go into the sink. The grounds wash off nicely when the filter is still wet, so best to get to it right away in the day. The washed grounds in the container with their rinsed water goes out to water my bucket green pepper plant. That plant is now 4 years old and a regular producer. It seems to love the washed grounds and brown coffee water. The filters are hung to dry. I am surprised by how well they collect dust. They collect dust best if a little still damp. When dry, they wipe grease off of plates and skillets nicely.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:42 am I wash the filters out into a container. I do not let the grounds go into the sink. The grounds wash off nicely when the filter is still wet, so best to get to it right away in the day. The washed grounds in the container with their rinsed water goes out to water my bucket green pepper plant. That plant is now 4 years old and a regular producer. It seems to love the washed grounds and brown coffee water. The filters are hung to dry. I am surprised by how well they collect dust. They collect dust best if a little still damp. When dry, they wipe grease off of plates and skillets nicely.
Dg, thank you for responding, I really appreciate it! I don't buy paper towels and it seems a shame to toss out the coffee filters and grounds so I am going to try your tips. I am hoping for happier, healthier house plants - this winter has been tough on them.

It will be nice to have something I can dust with that I can toss - will save me washing so many cleaning rags. This really sounds like a win-win. Thank you again for your help.

Have a blessed day.

Sheila
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

There is always Starbucks to get additional coffee filters. They give used coffee grounds with filters away free for asking. Their filters are generally quite large and heavy duty. They give it in a large plastic trash bag usually which I reuse as well.