Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:07 pm I may be out for the month. I'm 1 for 9. ONE. 11%

Two more days and we're out of here. I sure hope closing goes well.

Grading on the new yard should start this week. HOA rules there dictate not one but two trees in the front and I have to find out if one is allowed to be a smaller species, 'cause I reeeeeally want a Japanese maple. They're so pretty, and we finally have a front yard where one wouldn't be scorched to death by the OK sun.
Congrats and good luck on your move..

I had a Japanese Maple planted in my front yard.. It is taking forever to grow to the height I wanted it to for shade for my kitchen window.. It has been years and it is just now coming up to the bottom of the kitchen window. So if they allow one get the biggest tree you can afford.. I love them but it does take forever to get to a big size. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

2 for 14! What's that... 14ish? Percent?

Closed on the sale of the previous house. Hoped, when it hadn't started raining and none was in the forecast, to close on next house the week of 7/23. Hopefully it will stop raining and they can get the sod in and get things finished up, because while the hotel has conveniences, it's one room, 3-4 people, and I'm an introvert :lol:

DH is in europe. Just barely got in, got to the city he needs to be in, and into a nice dry hotel room. He can't sleep on airplanes so he spent the flight working on his summer class. I'm in the US in a slightly damp (because of dog, she got wet in the rain) hotel room with 2 kids and a dog who thinks every minor sound is impending invasion. She takes 'guard dog' status seriously especially with DH gone, but she's coming around to the idea that a low growl is just as alarming as full-on barking :roll:

This is my bad - when we got her there were no plans to move, so I taught her the 'bark if you hear something close to the door/window' thing. I'll teach her the same thing again when we get to the next house. Confuse the dog right - bark - no, don't bark - okay, you can bark again. She may give up guarding altogether ;)

My kid and dog plans, which involved dry conditions, are shot for the day. We will probably take a drive to the site if it ever stops raining, and that'll be that. I'm doing laundry, but that's hardly entertainment for the short folk.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:48 am I had a Japanese Maple planted in my front yard.. It is taking forever to grow to the height I wanted it to for shade for my kitchen window.. It has been years and it is just now coming up to the bottom of the kitchen window. So if they allow one get the biggest tree you can afford.. I love them but it does take forever to get to a big size. Janet Alliesmama
I was going to go, not with a dwarf tree, but something that might get to about 10-12 feet tall, tops. If I ran into a ton of landscaping money in the next couple years I might also put a dwarf tree in the very front planting bed, one of those with the slender little delicate looking leaves. Pretty soon here I should probably research the species properly so I can shop in a more educated fashion than "oh wow that's so pretty!" - I accidentally killed a Japanese maple like that once :?

I had a house with a backyard that faced north for a couple years, a previous owner had planted the most amazing ornamental trees including several varieties of Japanese maple, that yard was fantastic. The house, not so much, LOL, but the yard was awesome. Two owners past me, its even better, according to the last zillow listing someone planted on the upper layer of the tiered backyard and made it even more lush.

Back then I had 2 big dogs, so I left the yard mostly just lawn, so they could run.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

3 for 21 :o

The hotel fridge is a small apartment fridge and the cooktop is a joke. The kids love the pool though. The dog is depressed.

DH gets back tonight!! :D

It should be over* in less than a week if all goes well, for weird reasons the purchase price of the new house changed (to our benefit) the last 2 days because of an amenity they're not having to put in (we had it removed from the last house and it'll be installed in the new one the first week of August; all legal, the buyer wasn't given the choice of our accepting his price and removing the amenity or our not accepting the price and, bam, I learned how fast one of those can be taken out) and that freaked out the lender, who then handed the freak-out over to the appraiser.

*By "over," I mean the hotel stay, the moving in will take 'til around 8/3.

But at least I'll have an oven and a stove next weekend!!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:53 am 3 for 21 :o

The hotel fridge is a small apartment fridge and the cooktop is a joke. The kids love the pool though. The dog is depressed.

DH gets back tonight!! :D

It should be over* in less than a week if all goes well, for weird reasons the purchase price of the new house changed (to our benefit) the last 2 days because of an amenity they're not having to put in (we had it removed from the last house and it'll be installed in the new one the first week of August; all legal, the buyer wasn't given the choice of our accepting his price and removing the amenity or our not accepting the price and, bam, I learned how fast one of those can be taken out) and that freaked out the lender, who then handed the freak-out over to the appraiser.

*By "over," I mean the hotel stay, the moving in will take 'til around 8/3.

But at least I'll have an oven and a stove next weekend!!
Yippeee!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Congrats on your successful sale and move(so far).