Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 pmGosh Sandi if my Mom had not passed on quite a few years ago I would have thought she skipped town and moved in to your mothers house.. lol. Why do they have to make things so difficult? Sorry for the pain you have to go through to make her day a better day.
What can you do though? She's almost 79. Very set in a specific pattern. I don't wonder a little if her actual travel agent, back when there was one, didn't appreciate the $ she was willing to spend to get as close to her ideal as possible.

But to get to Europe, she was insisting on going to Atlanta for a layover. The layover I found was at Dulles. She didn't want to go to Dulles. I told her, for $800 in savings, you won't go to Dulles? She screamed at me in her native language (my first, so I understood ;) ) hung up, then called me two days later and told me to book her. Through Dulles.

:roll:

The neatest thing was that she wasn't sure which part of Charles de Gualle she would emerge from when she got there (so her ride, my cousin, could pick her up). I told her her gate. She said yes, but which PART of the airport is that? Do I work for the airport? Have I been there since... sometime in the 90s? No. Has the airport changed? Yes. I gave her the 800# for the airline, said call them, surely THEY know...

Airline sent her to a nice guy who spoke French like he'd been born and raised there and she had a great convo and knew which part of the airport...

Seriously, my kids are less demanding. From birth up to right now.

I'll miss her when she's gone, so I make the reservations, get yelled at, and shut up. ;)
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:45 am
alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 pmGosh Sandi if my Mom had not passed on quite a few years ago I would have thought she skipped town and moved in to your mothers house.. lol. Why do they have to make things so difficult? Sorry for the pain you have to go through to make her day a better day.
What can you do though? She's almost 79. Very set in a specific pattern. I don't wonder a little if her actual travel agent, back when there was one, didn't appreciate the $ she was willing to spend to get as close to her ideal as possible.

But to get to Europe, she was insisting on going to Atlanta for a layover. The layover I found was at Dulles. She didn't want to go to Dulles. I told her, for $800 in savings, you won't go to Dulles? She screamed at me in her native language (my first, so I understood ;) ) hung up, then called me two days later and told me to book her. Through Dulles.

:roll:

The neatest thing was that she wasn't sure which part of Charles de Gualle she would emerge from when she got there (so her ride, my cousin, could pick her up). I told her her gate. She said yes, but which PART of the airport is that? Do I work for the airport? Have I been there since... sometime in the 90s? No. Has the airport changed? Yes. I gave her the 800# for the airline, said call them, surely THEY know...

Airline sent her to a nice guy who spoke French like he'd been born and raised there and she had a great convo and knew which part of the airport...

Seriously, my kids are less demanding. From birth up to right now.

I'll miss her when she's gone, so I make the reservations, get yelled at, and shut up. ;)
Sandi I can understand and sympathize with you.. I think we had a conversation on here a while back about our mothers. I did have constant battles with my Mother and she has been gone since 2003. I do miss her but in a way relieved I do not have to deal with her child like behavior.. Of her three children I was the one who dealt with her on a daily basis. In fact when she knew she was dying she did not want me to let my sister know.. She had had a falling out with my sister years before that.How can you go to your grave not wanting to see your oldest daughter? I use to sit in her driveway and literally pray that she would not start some kind of argument. I did notify my DS about Mom being terminal. Knew Mom would most likely would not be cognitively aware that my DS was there when she died. There is no way I could have told my DS to stay away.

Wishing you good luck with dealing with your mother.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Oh heaven help me, 1 for 7. I kid you not, 14.28% and its all little stuff. 92 cents here, $2.38 there.

Oh, and gas for the hybrid.

And hundreds for registration at an event for all 4 of us.

So it's stuff. But its the little stuff that annoys me because the rest of it is planned.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

It is the holiday season, perhaps, that is grabbing at your money? Everything seems to happen starting now. This party or that event etc.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Most of what I spent this month went to an event, registration for all 4 of us for a conference at the end of the year, but it's definitely not a party :lol:

It's way more tame than that: postage, 3M pull tabby thngs for the backs of existing command hooks, a battery for a key fob, a shoulder rest for a violin and, today, $450 worth of glasses for children - DS is farsighted enough that he finally needs it for screens and reading, where DD has long been very nearsighted. These kids could not be more 'opposite' of each other.

But that was after insurance, his frames were fully covered as was a bunch of other stuff, so the $450 was FSA'd without gripe, the people need to see.

I also bought both of them new fleece hoodies because he's grown about 6" since January and EVERYthing is short on him and she... she wore that last one out. Not sure if she plays rugby or something when I'm not looking, but wow. At least she got 3 good years use out of it.

Oh! We're going to a party this coming weekend, but all I have to take to that is a pot of chili and a cake. Have all the stuff for those on hand. Usually send chili along with DH and the kids, but this year I got roped into going and bringing cake. Not sure how that happened.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Well, have a good time.