Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Happy that your car seems to be running fine now. Glad you got some nice weather as well.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

4 of 16... 25%

WOW has it been a bad $ month. Health-related, mostly, I saw a couple doctors, had some diagnostic stuff done, not a whole lot can be done to work around that. Dentist is next month for all 4 of us, but insurance will cover everything unless someone has a cavity or anything.

Oh! Kids go for eye exams next month, too, that's usually something that ends in DD getting a stronger script and, ergo, new glasses. She wears those lightweight barely-there frames that aren't frames at all just two arms to go over the ears and a nose piece, all connected directly to the lenses. No pop the old lenses out put the new lenses in there. But they look good. DS, by the grace of God because it sure isn't genetics, LOL, has 20/10 vision. He's nearly 14. By his age I'd been in glasses well more than half my life. DD got her first pair at 11. DH SHOULD have had them around 11 but... well, he was raised by negligent wolves, so... he went without so much as an exam 'til his late teens. :o

Outside of that, expenses overall are down. Still have the once a week grocery & gas thing happening, that's been really helpful :D
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

The bill came for DH's ER run in early August. Kidney stone. My goodness those are expensive.

We ran out of this year's FSA a looooong time ago, so the deductible and whatever the other part is called (problem with having been a DODD, insurance is so foreign to me even the terminology is... you know, its confusing, but it almost seems like it's MEANT to be; good thing DH understands it all). At any rate, a little over $800 out of pocket for medical bills. Oh, joy.

But he's well, so there's that.

I have determined that the top of my foot is a stress fracture. Self-determined, I'm still doctorless.

Also spent just a bit on wood stain and some emergency fill in groceries today, I'm at 5 out of 19.... 26.31%.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

8 of 24.... 33.33% again. Hmm.

I should be set for at least the next 2 days. But THEN... father in law, i.e. the leader of the negligent pack in which DH spent a portion of his formative years, will be here with his girlfriend (his 3rd wife died well less than a year ago). He very rarely visits, and as usual the end goal of this trip isn't a visit with his son and grandchildren, that's just the pass-thru, on weekdays, to something more exciting. He tends to expect us to drop everything and cater to him, and it sounds like this visit has the same expectations. But DH has already told me, we have a budget, he has a job, he's in school on top of that job, no one asked him if the timing was good...

We liked his late wife. She was nice, which isn't his usual type, and we aren't over her passing. She was way more a 'grandma' than any other woman our kids are related to even if it was only through marriage. His new gal really likes travel to exotic locales and high-risk excursions, or at least as high-risk as she can get the mid-70s nearly 300 lb man to take on. BIL thinks she's talked him in to making her his heir and is trying to off him 'accident'-ly. Wow. She's a great deal younger than he is, and its hardly as though he was poor even before getting his late wife's estate, and the nearly bereaved can be vulnerable... so BIL may have a point.

I think FIL is having a late-life crisis and new gal is the risk catalyst. Her motivation... ? With a man that old and that out of shape by comparison to her... ?

As budget-conscious as I tend to be... its still their grandfather, and there ought to be SOME good memories associated with that, even if we have to sponsor it, I guess, even if he is the guy who tried to split us up after the first kid was born. First grandchild? I know! Let's kidnap that son, hold him hostage, and try to make him see the error of his ways! And then never apologize for that but still expect son and daughter in law to throw their coats down for you to walk on when you come to town...

Yeah, I wish I was kidding.

But I have a bad feeling its going to be a costly week.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandi bummer on dealing with your FIL and his new lady..Some people have no consideration for others it is all about them.. Glad you are going to make an effort to make some kind of a memory for your children with their grandpa although maybe when they are older they will get wiser and know how things really were.. Good luck.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Well... I don't think his Dad had the greatest childhood; the mother left, replaced by an alcoholic step mother (I believe his dad was likely alcoholic as well. FIL is at minimum borderline).

Not that I'm a believer that your childhood is an excuse for bad behavior as an adult, much less well into your 70s. If anything it should make you entirely more aware that motivation is something you should question in yourself on a regular basis.

I also wonder about his staunch refusal to help any of his kids with college back when they were young. Every one of his siblings except him accepted a good education and all but he and his brother have had some seriously high-level public-eye style jobs (the WHO, political work, etc). His own father clearly understood the value of education, he was well-educated and had a professional job.

---------------------------------

GUESS WHAT?!?! You know that job I've been thinking I might want? The guy I used to work for from home contacted me out of the blue asking if I might want to work for him again! This week I find out what, specifically, he needs in the way of help, and I guess at that point I'll decide if there's enough left of my brain after nearly 13 years of low-level usage to actually do anything real again. :shock:

I might be a WAHM instead of a SAHM again!