Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am

SandiSAHM wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:12 pm
Alas, postage to return 3 of the 4 trial special chinrests has broken my streak, along with sending Mom some melatonin via amazon.

This too will be overcome but I'm at 11 for 23...aag, math! 47.8ish %.

But that's okay, tomorrow is a no-spend day, as is at least one of Thursday or Friday. Sooner or later I'll have to go for milk and, of all things, ketchup.

! Someone gave us a butternut squash a while back and I made a squash/carrot/pumpkin (I was in a beta carotene mood :lol: ) soup and cubed the remaining squash and froze it. Today, I made this

https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/slow-co ... til-curry/

minus the coriander, because ? I don't know the last time I even HAD coriander, using a garam masala DH brought back from India and using brown lentils instead of red because I've been out of red since before we moved.

Even with the substitutions - this stuff is AMAZING.
Sandi thanks for sharing the link. I have a very good friend from India. She returned to India to teach.. I really miss her cooking. This looks so yummy. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:12 pm

alliesmama4 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am
Sandi thanks for sharing the link. I have a very good friend from India. She returned to India to teach.. I really miss her cooking. This looks so yummy. Janet Alliesmama
DH's employer has a facility there, the entire area is vegetarian (and 'dry'), he says the food is spectacular.

He hasn't been in a while. And I'm running out of a specific product he and a co-worker from their Indian facility acquired at a grocery there. Naturally I can't read anything on it, I know it's a "curry" blend of sorts, its the best of the bunch he brought home. I told him, you're taking this empty box when you go back, going back to the grocery store, and getting at least 2 yrs worth of this stuff. I'm not taking the chance on the company issuing a travel moratorium to save money, I'm never running out.

Hmm. I wonder if you can freeze vacuum-packed powdered spices. I can't see why not...

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:14 pm

12 of 24, back at 50% because it's cold (59 degrees, I'm a wuss) and about to rain.

I may take DH grocery shopping tomorrow evening. The kids don't like it so we take. our. time. while they stay home.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:26 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:12 pm
alliesmama4 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am
DH's employer has a facility there, the entire area is vegetarian (and 'dry'), he says the food is spectacular.

He hasn't been in a while. And I'm running out of a specific product he and a co-worker from their Indian facility acquired at a grocery there. Naturally I can't read anything on it, I know it's a "curry" blend of sorts, its the best of the bunch he brought home. I told him, you're taking this empty box when you go back, going back to the grocery store, and getting at least 2 yrs worth of this stuff. I'm not taking the chance on the company issuing a travel moratorium to save money, I'm never running out.

Hmm. I wonder if you can freeze vacuum-packed powdered spices. I can't see why not...
One of the nurses I worked with was from India.. She said when she goes back home to visit she basically took one empty suitcase to fill up with all of the spices that she could not get here or were too expensive. She said she would bring her own underwear and borrows sari's from her sisters. There is an Indian store about an hour and a half from here.. I know a tiny bit of what to buy. At checkout the man asked me what I was making. I told him and he said... no you want to use this instead. The product he recommended was actually cheaper than the one I wanted to buy. Also I had a list of fresh herbs that I wanted and when I did not see them I asked and he said he had removed them since they were not as fresh as he would have liked them to be. He showed them to me. I told him they looked ok to me so when I left he had them in my bags for free. His service was exceptional. Wish I lived closer to shop there more often. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:02 pm

alliesmama4 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:26 pm
One of the nurses I worked with was from India.. She said when she goes back home to visit she basically took one empty suitcase to fill up with all of the spices that she could not get here or were too expensive. She said she would bring her own underwear and borrows sari's from her sisters. There is an Indian store about an hour and a half from here.. I know a tiny bit of what to buy. At checkout the man asked me what I was making. I told him and he said... no you want to use this instead. The product he recommended was actually cheaper than the one I wanted to buy. Also I had a list of fresh herbs that I wanted and when I did not see them I asked and he said he had removed them since they were not as fresh as he would have liked them to be. He showed them to me. I told him they looked ok to me so when I left he had them in my bags for free. His service was exceptional. Wish I lived closer to shop there more often. Janet Alliesmama
We have some Asian markets around here that are frequented by the families of the fellows who are from India but who work in the local office, and because I don't always think things all the way through (as in 'India is a part of Asia, San!' - for some reason they've always been separated in my mind, maybe its the sheer size), I have yet to visit one. I should find out which one they like best for spices and take that box in with me, maybe they have something just like it.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:14 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:02 pm
alliesmama4 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:26 pm
We have some Asian markets around here that are frequented by the families of the fellows who are from India but who work in the local office, and because I don't always think things all the way through (as in 'India is a part of Asia, San!' - for some reason they've always been separated in my mind, maybe its the sheer size), I have yet to visit one. I should find out which one they like best for spices and take that box in with me, maybe they have something just like it.
Sandi that is a great idea. There are other Asian market in the St.Louis area that I use to frequent but with a long travel time and traffic increase due to road repairs not worth the trip. However befor I stopped going there we went to an International market that had a lot of different canned sardines on their shelves. We have been looking for the ones like we had when we were kids, small sardines, not 2 to 5 large fish in the can. Anyway my SIL asked the manager if he could recommend the ones that might have the smaller sardines.. He said he did not know but," lets take a look." He opened several cans to show her what was inside.We did find a desirable size.. We offender to pay for the cans he opened but he said that it was ok. Now that is service.

Speaking of India being in Asia I too never connected the dots. My friends sister said they were having difficulty getting their twins sons in to the university where they wanted them to go since they had already filled their Asian quota.. What the heck? I never thought if them being Asian..Plus what is this with the Asian quota thing?Anyway good luck on your hunt..
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama