Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Post by SandiSAHM »

Carleen wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 am Regarding pennies:
Many years ago, as I was walking out of a food store, there was a little boy following his mother out. He stopped to pick up a coin and his mother urged him to come on and hurry up. He said very plaintively, "But MOM, It's a PENNY". Such reverence in his voice that his mom stopped and helped him get the penny and put it in his pocket. Quite a lesson there! Pennies ARE important!!
DH's grandfather used to say "if you watch your pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves!"

Now? DH says it. To our kids. So one day some new little kid is going to have a grandad who...

It skips generations, though, DH's mom spends money like it's water.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Greetings, Everyone!!!

We are still under a pollen alert. We don't dare have the windows open even though the temps are moderate. We have a whole-house air filtration system because we are all allergic to such yuck so we're doing OK but we do have to go outdoors on occasion. Blick...

We are still in the process of sorting books for donating. We took seven boxes of books to our local library as they have a "book nook" where they sell books for VERY low prices. The Friends of the Library handle that and use the money for books for the library. We have at least a few more boxes to go there but we're not quite ready yet. They also take periodicals and I have many years of National Geographic to go there - they said they have people who want them. Good!!! Those articles are really timeless. We just don't want them to clutter up the place any longer!

We have not assembled our new porch swing yet. That will happen in the next few days - waiting for a non-windy day so we can breathe out there.

We haven't spent any money for a couple of days. We do need some sliced cheese for sandwiches but will wait until we have a list to make the trip worthwhile. Hubby loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so he won't starve!!!

That's about it from me today. My energy is about spent so I'm going to go sit down to read today's newspaper. whew. Bye for now. Stay safe.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Howdy to All Who Venture Here!!!

Our swing is assembled and it looks very nice. What a chore, though. jeesh!!! It's not exactly what we wanted (wood) but it will do just fine until we find the swing of our dreams!

Storms have been roaming around here for several days but today is sunny and bright. We'll take that with NO complaining!!!

Mother's Day was pleasant. Our older daughter and family asked us over for what she called "lunch". It was quite a spread and we totally enjoyed it. We always love going there because the conversation is always brisk and interesting! Their house is an oldie that they rehabbed and they have done a super job. Most recently, they had a wood fence installed and their driveway is now paved. What a wonderful difference those things made!!! We are totally proud of them - they both (daughter and her husband) work so hard!!!

Frugal-wise, we're continuing on our merry way with coupons, ads and consolidating trips. Saved several coupon dollars on yesterday's trip to the food store. Deodorant, soap, a couple of spices that I had run out of, etc. Nicely done.

Two more boxes of books are ready to go the library. Hubby will put them in the trunk of his car so when he's out and about he can drop them off as the library is on the way to just about every place we go to!!! They give a receipt for the donation which we use when we file taxes. Every little bit counts!

Hubby has been called for Jury Duty for all of this week so he'll be gone all day. And I am coasting with my chores. Two newspapers await so I'm thinking I will get that out of the way first... ha, ha, ha... Of course, that will mean a trip to the garage to put the read papers into the recycling bin. Oh, the stress.... ha, ha, ha...

Bye for now. Stay safe. Don't be one of those folks about whom people say your face would break if you were to smile. Go ahead and take the risk!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Carleen wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 pm Howdy to All Who Venture Here!!!

Our swing is assembled and it looks very nice. What a chore, though. jeesh!!! It's not exactly what we wanted (wood) but it will do just fine until we find the swing of our dreams!

Bye for now. Stay safe. Don't be one of those folks about whom people say your face would break if you were to smile. Go ahead and take the risk!!!
I don’t know why Victoria Beckham never smiles.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Wed May 23, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Phooey... I lost my post this morning and upon trying again now the same thing happened. I'll try tomorrow. In case you heard my language, I apologize...
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Hello and Howdy, Everyone!!!

A couple of weeks ago, I had my yearly ophthalmologist exam done and all was well with no apparent changes. That's part of my yearly diabetes protocol. Also, had my yearly hearing test, ordered new hearing aids as my old ones were old and not performing well, and out of warranty, then they arrived and now I have them. Yay!!!

Our weather has been so weird. Hot as can be, then cold (down to 48F last night) and then hot again. Lots of hot winds, too. Right now we're waiting for thunderstorms to arrive. I positive that's because I turned on the sprinkler system this morning!!!

Hubby is traveling this week (for his consulting job since retiring) and will be back tomorrow afternoon. I have to come up with something good for tomorrow's supper.

We live in a senior community (active adult community, if you please!) and our mailboxes are at the curb. They were getting very ratty and needed to be replaced. So that was done by our home owners' association and that makes the place look so much better. No extra cost to us as that sort of thing is covered in our monthly assessment.

No spending for the past three days and after coordinating my shopping list with the food sale ads, I will go food shopping probably on the weekend with Hubby's help. We don't need much but fresh veggies are always on the list!

That's about it from me for now. Wishing everyone a safe and frugal day. Bye for now.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout