Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Carleen

Re: Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Post by Carleen »

Hello, Hello, Hello!!!

This is a quiet day here in corn country. The fellow is here cleaning, adjusting and checking our furnace and AC unit. He's the person who installed these so we trust him big-time. Absolutely no problems and we're having them checked to make sure all is well with them. More $$$ but well worth it.

Next month the electrician who installed our whole-house generator will do the routine yearly check-up. They replace the spark plugs, clean the whole thing's insides, etc. That is one thing that is very valuable for us. We lose power frequently with all the terrible Midwestern storms. When that happens, the generator will activate 18 circuits in our house so we won't lose frozen foods, etc., the furnace or AC will continue (depending upon what the season is), etc. Two of our three bathrooms have no windows so those are included in the 18. At night, the window in the third bathroom doesn't do much good. So it's covered, too. It runs on natural gas so we don't have to go start it. It will "fire up" within 30 seconds of a power outage. YAY!!! I love my generator!!!

I have a very short food list and coupons for those items so might go do that. Otherwise it can wait although thunderstorms are predicted for tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. Yucckkkkaaaa...

No real news here - just checking in. Have a grand frugal day.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Greetings, Everyone!!!

We went for our Wednesday morning breakfast - our treat to ourselves since Hubby retired a few months ago. Very good, as usual, and we sat and talked over coffee. Nice.

I had wanted to go visit Daddy's grave (he's buried with Mother in a local National Cemetery and I have not been since he passed away on 12-31-2017). However, thunder storms are predicted for today, tomorrow and Friday, so we decided I'd wait. Then, of course, after we got home from breakfast, the clouds cleared and the sun is shining. The forecast by the "experts" are still saying strong storms. Anyway, we didn't go to the cemetery but will go the first sunshiney morning that comes up. No real rush, I guess. Neither one of them is going anywhere they aren't already at...

The AC/heating guy was here yesterday and all is well. He's going to replace a couple of switches on the furnace but no biggie and will come back next week to do that small bit. Instead of $$$, it will be $ !!! This summer is the season for household maintenance jobs with just one more to go. The generator will get its yearly routine maintenance next month and that will be the end of such stuff for quite a long while. Whew...

Everything was budgeted for but I still hate to see all that money paid out. Grateful to have the money to do so, though.

No spending today. Yay for that. See you all later. Stay safe.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

The way you take care of maintenance items is admirable. It is motivational too.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

It's been a while since last posting. I had a post ready to go a few days ago but lost it somehow. not nice. So I'll try once again. I'm sure it was operator error!!!

Our granddaughter had her first day of the school year. Of course, it's a half day. So she and her friend needed someplace to go after school Lunch out was necessary because her friend has a zillion food allergies and I'm not prepared for that. Anyway, I picked them up at the school and we ate out and had a nice time. She knows what she can order and takes care of herself that way.

Hubby had two toenails removed this morning because they were turning under and causing pain. He couldn't even trim them without causing more issues. So he's recovering from that.

There was very truly NOT a no-spend day. That's OK, I guess. Our garden is just about played out. A couple of green peppers are ready for harvest and some cucumbers and zucchinis, too.

Laundry is done and put away. And a couple of small chores are also accomplished. No real news here. Just checking in. It's raining like crazy and a little bit of thunder. Willow is hiding in the linen closet. She can hear the tiniest bit thunder...

See you all later. Stay safe. Remember that pennies count!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Yep, pennies count.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Greetings!!!

We have had short but mighty thunderstorms over the past few days. Poor Willow spends a lot of time in "her" linen closet as she is so very afraid of thunder. Right now she's under our bed since I was straightening things on a couple of shelves that had gotten untidy. I guess she didn't like the intrusion!!!

The rain seems to have let up so we might make a mercy run to the food store after we have lunch. Eggs are on sale for $.88 per dozen and a couple of other things - good thing I make shopping lists!

No other spending, though, so that's a good thing. Special thanks to DG for commenting on my posts, and to others who stopped in. I love it when people drop by!!! See you all later. Stay safe.

A neighbor of mine said that she's not opposed to being frugal but she doesn't like the thought of starving to death or running around nekkid just to save a few cents. Oh, OK. She's the one who, when I invited her to walk with me, said that there is no way she'd do anything that had even the slightest chance of sweating. Yup, that's what she said!!!

Bye for now.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout