Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Carleen

Re: Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Post by Carleen »

Wow - Reading other people's posts makes me feel like a slacker!!! Everyone seems so very busy and productive... zowie!!!

Just about all we accomplished yesterday was to sort and box more books to donate. Progress is happening and I'm glad of that. Our lower level was beginning to look like a toxic dumping ground!!! Our housekeeper wants to clean that whole area but we have to do the sorting, etc., of books before I can let her loose down there!!! Our house has a total of 4,000 square feet (2,000 up and 2,000 down) so there is plenty for her to do without adding that area.

We need eggs and yogurt so we might go out for those items. I don't make my own yogurt anymore. Otherwise, nothing big waiting for me to do. The Sunday newspaper is waiting for me and I have to pull out the coupon sections, cut and file them. Not too exciting!

Hubby had to buy gas for his car but my truck still has enough for me to wait until the gas prices go down a bit. Waiting for a couple of pennies is still a couple of pennies that are mine and not the gasoline big shots!

See you all later. Stay safe.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you regarding gas. A penny still matters to me.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Regarding pennies:
Many years ago, as I was walking out of a food store, there was a little boy following his mother out. He stopped to pick up a coin and his mother urged him to come on and hurry up. He said very plaintively, "But MOM, It's a PENNY". Such reverence in his voice that his mom stopped and helped him get the penny and put it in his pocket. Quite a lesson there! Pennies ARE important!!!

Also, when Hubby and I were first married, we lived in the Midwest so he could go to graduate school. Our families were on the East Coast and we were expected to go there yearly. So every night before bed, we'd take the change out of pockets and put it in a tin can. At the end of each year and in time for our yearly trip East, we'd have enough money in there for the gas it took to go there. This was well before charge cards so purchases were cash only. That meant that we actually had change to put in the can!

Just a trip down Memory Lane...
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Greetings to Everyone!!!

Our spring into Spring happened in a hurry. We had freezing temps and now we're seeing mid-80s. Blick..... Thunderstorms scheduled for tonight. Double blick...

Spent a small fortune at the pharmacy yesterday. Since Hubby retired in January, our co-pays are substantially higher than previously.

The guy from the sprinkler company came to restart our system for now until deep freeze near Winter. I pre-pay for the start-up and shut-down so we get a discount on that. The landscaping crew ran over one of the sprinkler heads last Autumn so that had to be replaced and I'll get a bill for that.

Made the appointment to have the driveway resurfaced later this month. The snowplows really scrape it up and it is looking shabby. Paid for that in advance for a price break.

Took Willow (our rescue cat) for her yearly vaccines. She was NOT happy with that!!! The vet found out that she has very healthy and SHARP teeth!!! ha, ha, ha..... Hazards of the job!!!

My one big splurge that I do for myself is to get a manicure and non-chip polish done. So I'll be going to get that done tomorrow.

So, as you can see, lots of money going out but it all had to be done. Jeepers - I certainly don't look very frugal when all is tallied. Wishing you all a frugal day. Bye for now.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Howdy, Everyone!!!

We had terrible thunderstorms late yesterday afternoon - thunder, lightening, quarter-size hail, high winds. Very fierce!!! I put my truck in the garage in time to miss the hail. Yay for that!!!

Things died down and then started up again during the night. Again, very fierce. I did not hear any tornado sirens (if they sounded).

Willow is totally freaked out by the thunder. Shaking, cowering, hiding, etc. Not much I could do for her. I reminded her that she is a Midwestern native and to get a grip but she was too busy nursing her fears. Poor thing!

The only spending for me today is to go get my manicure after lunch. Not too expensive and I figure after so many years of scrimping and saving, I'm worth it!!! Not the best of attitudes but we've been married for nearly 51 years and we're very financially sound. Frugality pays off!!! I still clip coupons and shop the sales - old habits are hard to break!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Howdy, Everyone!!!
Our weather is totally bizarre. First we had a red flag warning and we were in a possible grass fire area. Then we had the torrential rains I told about here. Now we are under a flood advisory because the small streams and rivers are overflowing. AND, to top it all off, we are under a pollen advisory as the trees are giving off their pollen now. jeesh...

The funeral home that handled Daddy's funeral, etc., had their twice yearly memorial service for the people who passed away during the past six months. Hubby and I went and it was absolutely beautiful. I cannot begin to tell how wonderful those people are. The one at Christmas will involve hanging ornaments on a big tree and singing.

No other news. Just checking in. We did do a small grocery shopping today but no impulse buying! See you all later. Stay safe and watch the weather!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout