DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday

The floor is done. However, the glue or something smelled a lot. And gave me a headache which is still lingering lightly. It is making me reluctant to go out and do yardwork. Hubs said we are turning on the ac. Too hot and humid. He set it to 81F and it came on once so far. I am going to linger inside away from light most likely with this headache.

We drove to the bank and got the check from my mother in law's CD. We then went right over and deposited it in the credit union account. Since hubs was out and Lowe's was across the street, I had him look at replacement things like frig, freezer etc. The salesperson said that the deepest discount is on November, black Friday. Ok. Hubs was done walking, but we stopped at Home Depot on the way back and got the cooler I wanted on sale. The house is disassembled from the flooring. So I am not sure where it will go.

I am now going to rethink my kitchen arrangements. Some things will need to go.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday(evening)

I had the neighbor walk and then hub's walk and I needed to get to the store before the rains arrived. Hubs was nervous about having food in the house in case....that tropical storm came here to Florida. So I got chicken thighs on sale and started cooking them up. I took the meat off them, shredded it and put it in pint containers in the freezer. I will use it on hub's lunch salads and he feels less upset. Tonight was a really good frugal meal. 3 thighs cooked for the meat shredded off, mixed with a $1 bag of broccoli and cauliflower with a can of mushroom pieces. Low carb stir fry. So 69c for the chicken, $1 for the vegetables and 65c for the mushrooms. $2.35 for 2 people. Not bad. I froze 3 pints of meat and I still have a few thighs left to cook. I also bought a package of precooked hot dogs.

A woman not far from me wanted to get rid of some flower bulbs. I volunteered to take them. I will drive over to pick them up in the morning and since I will be right there, I will drop into Harbor Freight and get stuff. I have coupons. :D
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 pm Friday(evening)

I had the neighbor walk and then hub's walk and I needed to get to the store before the rains arrived. Hubs was nervous about having food in the house in case....that tropical storm came here to Florida. So I got chicken thighs on sale and started cooking them up. I took the meat off them, shredded it and put it in pint containers in the freezer. I will use it on hub's lunch salads and he feels less upset. Tonight was a really good frugal meal. 3 thighs cooked for the meat shredded off, mixed with a $1 bag of broccoli and cauliflower with a can of mushroom pieces. Low carb stir fry. So 69c for the chicken, $1 for the vegetables and 65c for the mushrooms. $2.35 for 2 people. Not bad. I froze 3 pints of meat and I still have a few thighs left to cook. I also bought a package of precooked hot dogs.

A woman not far from me wanted to get rid of some flower bulbs. I volunteered to take them. I will drive over to pick them up in the morning and since I will be right there, I will drop into Harbor Freight and get stuff. I have coupons. :D
DG great save on the food.. I like using thighs they seem to have more flavor and the keto diet actually recommends them more due to the fat content.. I do not know how you manage all of the yard work you do around your house and still cook good meals.. kudo's to you.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Janet. I felt a little guilty that I didn't cook down the bones for broth, but I have no way to store it and it is just not appealing when it is so hot. Your posts are an inspiration of frugality, Janet.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday

It is already raining. They say we will be cloud covered with rain showers all day. That is fine. I have to try to decide on all the junk that was in my kitchen before the new flooring was put down. I am happy that I selected simple vinyl over the more demanding floor coverings. It looks very good and is almost zero maintenance. Vinyl is still cheaper as well.I have 2 boxes of planks for any future repair.

Thanks to the cloud cover, the ac is not coming on. The house is lingering at 80F. I checked the humidity in the dry closet and it is fine. I may need to put a new freshener in it however. I like after the rain solids and in the 3 pack at Walmart, cheaper than the singles at the dollar store. I bought a dollar store 2 pack yesterday to try out. Not a winner. However, the frozen vegetables really are a good deal. The pepper mix is $1 at the dollar store and the same product, brand is $1.99 at save a lot. I had hoped to make my own pepper mix, but this rain all month has reduced my pepper production to near zero. Tomatoes are doing poorly as well.

I was surprised at how well the thighs cooked and shredded. Hubs used to be a white meat only person, but maybe this diet is changing him. He really liked the chicken thigh stir fry. He bought some more new shorts via Amazon. His old ones were big and flappy and hard to keep up.

One of the things I am buying at Harbor Freight with coupon is a new leaf blower. Mine is very old and held together with tape. I have a feeling it will break soon. If the weather ever dries out, I have leaves to blow into piles. I didn't call the young man to work next week because it is still too wet and 4-6 inches of rain is predicted for the next few days. :roll: Patience, patience.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday

Socked in by the rain. Everything outside is damp. Interesting how damp makes everything kind of sticky. I don't even want to play in the dirt. My window curtains are "clear" plastic sheets. I put them up last year(maybe the year before) to stop the winter winds through the thin windows and just left them up. They decrease the draft, allow the light in and yet are opaque. I am sure the more sophisticated members of the family think we are almost trailer trash. But I don't believe in being a show off and simple is environmentally friendly. When we get our new windows, will I still use the plastic for curtains? I don't know. They work just fine.

I have all the press board cabinets that I used in the kitchen. I am not inclined to put them back in the kitchen. They were clutter catchers. I considered using them out in my future porch kitchen, but the press board will warp in the humidity. I am thinking on how to use them. I bought them for the Texas kitchen and they served well for 25 years. But time is showing on them. The covering on the press wood has peeled off at the bottom where it gets wet when I mop. Time to repurpose.

I have decided not to get a new table. We will use the old big one awhile longer. Hubs likes it.