DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday

Wednesday was dry most of the day. I worked in the yard some, but frankly, I need to build up to working in the heat. So, I did some. Rested some and then did some more. I filled a garbage can with fallen limbs and another with weeds. This is green pick up day. I also put in 8 ft more garden in front.

While I was picking up limbs, the neighbor(Iranian married military, now a widow) pulled in and asked me if I wanted canning jars. I said yes and a few minutes later she pulled in again with them. She then told me that I should take down my little front yard fence because it was full of grass. I assured her that I intended to just for that reason. She was satisfied. Polite manners of the south and western world are not her style. She lets you know what she thinks bluntly, sometimes with a sprinkle of spicy language learned from her military husband.

A neighbor 2 streets over has a bunch of bricks and pavers piled in the yard. I asked this morning when I saw someone outside while I was walking if I could have them. She said yes. She said they sold the ones in good shape on Craig's list. So I will stop there this afternoon on the way back from shopping and take a few. I told her I might not be able to take them all at once since I have a small car. She said no problem. They got rid of many lovely plants when they bought the place. It was a bit overgrown.

It is too hot for hubs to walk, so he is using his stationary bike apparatus. He says it works different muscles than walking. I suggested he start working on his core. He was receptive, but not enthusiastic. We both are seeing low carb/keto absorbing excess skin. It is nice when skin is not hanging and flapping.

Keto is not cheap, so we have not seen a reduction in food costs at all. But being healthy is priceless, so it is worth it.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday

I did not stop and pick up bricks after my mammogram and shopping. The traffic was awful and it was so hot. Today, I will be going out early and will stop then.

I added 16 ft to my front flower bed yesterday. I decided to stop it until I can get more timbers. I will take the last 4 into the back for the back to the rain barrel flower bed.

A promise of drier weather means I can tackle some of the summer weeds. Maybe even mow this evening. That would be good.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday

Yesterday, I did mow and blow leaves from the house perimeter with my new, on sale blower yesterday as hoped. My mower is electric. Since some of the electricity is from solar, using electricity rather than gas should be better for the environment. Blower is electric too.

Today, after shopping sales, more yard work. Weather is nice for August in Florida. Hope it stays that way. Excellent sales right now. I keep frozen gallons of water in the very bottom of the new to me freezer. That is in case of power loss. We are on a well and with power loss comes no water. So it is good to keep water around and frozen water also will provide refrigeration for food. It also keeps me from buying too much food as some people do and losing it in the bottom of the freezer. I also cook some of it up before freezing just in case. I also purchased a large, high quality portable cooler on sale months ago. Another in case backup. Some people have generators. I decided that would be over the top for us.

I am creating more cleaning rags from old tee shirts not fit to recycle into clothes. I have greatly reduced toilet paper use with girl wipes and now I should be able to reduce paper towel use with cleaning rags. I wash them in the laundry bags, 3 of a $1 at dollar tree. Then dry them on the inside line. It takes a bit more time than using a paper towel, but frugality usually means using time differently.

Today, I will stop and pick up old bricks and such from a neighbor. I picked up a few yesterday, but I was dressed nicely and didn't wan to get my clothes dirty.

Time to shop.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday

Needed extra coffee this morning. I dug out the drainage ditch of my older neighbor because it needed to be done and no one else would do it. Not her chubby daughter who works two jobs. Not her overweight son or overweight son in law, both in marginal health. Standing water becomes a health issue, mosquito breeding pond, after about 4 days. It is better now, the water will flow through the culvert under her driveway, but there is more to do. But not today. My wrists and hand grip feel weak still.

Today, I try again for the 99c frozen turkey breasts and pick up more free bricks on the way home. If we stay rain free today, I will mow the rest of the grass in front. If I have any energy left, I will work on the flower bed near the back porch. And sweep the porch. Also do hubs bedding since he will get a shower today. Yep, a full day already.

The week ahead looks good. On Monday, the handyman will come over and assess the materials he needs for the lean to building project. The rest of the week will be him working on it. I may call my endocrinologist office and ask if he intends to give me additional medication based on 2 separate tests showing very low T3. I feel pretty good, but I am concerned about this long term health risk of very low T3.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday

Today, I hope to move the narrow pavers I got yesterday to the back. They look like a perfect fit for an area of the house perimeter that I am working on. I got about 9 yesterday. There were more there, but my tiny car trunk was full. Maybe get more today if I need them. I also used my rain barrel water yesterday, so it rained later of course.

If today is dry enough, I will finish the grass. We are expecting a couple of rainy days. An opportunity to put up pegboard to hang things. The pegboard needs to be cut first. I already cut the big 4x8 sheet into a couple of smaller pieces. Just a few more cuts needed.

I need to add more storage to the laundry room. Thinking on that.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday

The free pavers are gone. We walk by the house on our morning walk and they are gone. I am glad I got what I got. I would have taken more, but I was slow and they were probably young and impatient. I have some ceramic tile left by a tenant of this place. A neighbor said she was interested. She may send her handyman over to see if they will work for her. She gave me the jelly jars. So it goes.

Today, I will do laundry and a bit of yard work. I had to cut some sugar cane in order to finish mowing in front. I will plant it along the back fence. I think sugar cane is a pretty tall grass. I like it better than bamboo. I don't want it in the front yard divider bed anymore. It is crowding out my other plants. I will just cut a bit now and then until it is all moved.

It looks like it is going to be a rough week without pain medication. Only day 3 and he says he has pain already. I started his apple cider vinegar right away and that usually reduces the pain. :(

I think I will do some mending today. I have 3 or 4 thinks that need it and that is enough to make it worth getting out the sewing stuff. The whole chicken I got out to thaw is not going to be thawed enough for tonight. So ground beef, tex-mex tonight.