DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Walking partner called late yesterday and said her blind neighbor called her and asked her to take him and his dog to the vet. Apparently, he made the appointment and then just figured she would drop everything and take him. That seems rude to me, but she is ok with it, so no walk this morning. Maybe later she said. So a slow morning, no rush.

Whatever rain we had passed through during the night and the cool down with winds from the north has started. So today, I will put up the plywood on the north windows this afternoon. By late day, it will be chilly and time to stay inside.

This cold weather will last 2-3 days. A little longer than last time. Good test.

I expect to start hanging the window/wall hanging today. Should be interesting. Good day to catch up on the dishes and gather stuff for sewing repair.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

The house was so warm that I didn't want to put up anything. 78F at bedtime. This morning it is 75F. Outside it is 52F. A 20+ degree difference.

I did yard work yesterday. Much needed. Gathered sticks from the yard and piled them up for pickup tomorrow. Repotted the roadside azaleas.

I read about insulating walls and I came across a study done on Florida block homes that said, wall insulation really doesn't matter if the delta temperature is less than 20 degrees. Therefore in the summer, wall insulation would not benefit us since we keep the house at 83F and the outside is only about 90F. In the winter, there is a delta of greater than 20 degrees, but that is only occasionally for a few days. Insufficient cost benefit. Interesting.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

More scientific research on the conductivity of glass and the effects of heat transfer. That is what causes water to collect on the inside of the windows. Turning on the furnace is not frugal and would not be as successful as adding wood. Glad I did my research. Who would have thought how simple success would be.

I did discover that my panels are in need of another coat of paint. I am surprised that I missed so many spots the first time. Well, the weather will warm to paint acceptable temperatures this weekend, so I will do some painting. The shutters will need to come off anyways because it will be too warm to keep them up. Luckily, they are easy to put up and take down.

Crockpot cooking again tonight with black beans cooked with turkey. Dry beans cooked are such a savings over the canned. So far no heating required for the cold weather. Big frugal win for me.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday

This is the warm day. A good day to paint. I did yard work yesterday until dark. I was pleased with how much I got done. Today is a paint day. Wood shutters get a coat. Then a day in storage while it rains. Then back up after. The clip system for adding towels and such to the windows on the inside has worked well. It would be nice to decorate the clips. The ones on the side could stay up permanently to pin the curtains. Thinking on it.

I need to re-arrange the office area to allow the spare bed to sit along the base of the wall.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

I did a bit of research into decorating the clips I used to hold up the curtains. Nothing really came up, so I will ask hubs for a better name for the search. He is good at that.

I was surprised at the amount of leaves that had already fallen. I just did the area on the side front yard. They filled up one of my front beds. And there are many left on the trees.

I am a bit disappointed in the paint. It is not holding up as expected. Well, it is as it is.

It seems that I can work outside all day or I can work inside at housework, but I don't have the energy to do both. I feel I am wasting a lot of time, but I am not sure I am that concerned about it. It is as if my motivation to achieve is just not there anymore. I hope it is just a bit of the seasonal blahs.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday night

Cold weather is expected tonight. I did not put up the wood shutters yesterday. I prefer to put them up when things are dry. Damp window sills concern me. Today was dry. It felt better to put them up. Just the ones on the north though.

I painted the front wooden shutters with a coat of red. But didn't paint the brown ones. I am now focused on put up window coverings inside. The towels worked great. I have fitted window covers. I bought another $1 set of binder clips and attached them to nails I had in the window frame from when I had plastic up over the windows. I attached the covers to the binder clips. I was able to use all the covers and also the foil covered foam. So most windows have a plastic blind, a towel and a window cover cut from a thin rug.

We are dressed warm and the house is at 69F which is above the temperature the furnace is set at, so no heat use yet. Maybe tomorrow though. Wait and see. I still haven't gotten out the comforters. We are still just using blankets. Over night temperature is set at 65F.

I got a good deal on coffee. I bought the limit. That should hold us for several months. I also got a clearance bargain on cat food and later found a good deal at Dollar store. Taking yesterday off and reading may have refreshed my attitude.