DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 am Thursday am

I got some things done. Not as much as I would have liked of course. I will still have to go out in the yard and work later. I have decided to do as much as I can from the transport wheelchair. This has gotten hubs attention and realization that I am in pain. He prefers to be the victim. I normally save egg shells and vegetable scraps for the compost pile. That is a walk that I don't need to take, so they are going in the garbage for now. Certain frugal is going to have be replaced for the time being. The knee needs to rest.
Sorry you are having so much pain but glad you are trying to work things out to put less stress on your knee.. I know it is frustrating but try to take it easy..
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am.

Here I am. Feeling better. No pain thanks to the chiropractor. I said to the medical doctor, it feels out of joint. He did nothing except offer me a pain shot. The chiropractor adjusted it and I am pain free. The chiropractor did want me to stay off of it. He recommended swimming to work the knee hinge without putting weight on the swollen knee. However, I don't have a pool, but I am wheeling around the house on our transport wheelchair working the joint without weight. I got the chair probably 10 years ago for hubs. Since keto diet and his weight loss, he hasn't needed it. But it serves as our office chair. Now it serves me. I modified the master bathroom to fit it several years ago, so it easily fits everywhere a person needs to go. This transport chair is narrower than a regular wheelchair. It is a good thing in an older house.

I absolutely love that the ac is barely ever coming on. Once it hit 90F and 90% humidity, I had to turn it on. Hubs decided that we needed a room sized dehumidifier. I have to agree with him. The reduced ac use will let the humidity rise in the house. Only a problem in the dry closet as far as I am concerned, but my little containers of humidity absorbing crystals will probably be overwhelmed now that the ac rarely comes on. So we will use it in that room. I should still cost less $ than the whole house ac costs.

I was out of food in the house on Thursday and I hurt too much to stand up and create stuff from leftovers. Also, I had a sour stomach from trying MSM powder in my coffee and didn't want anything anyways. A spoonful of yogurt was enough. Friday after leaving the chiropractor's office pain free, I went to save a lot and got discounted ground beef. $1.59 a pound already made into patties. We had a patty a piece for dinner. Always have pickles with that. It is enough. I have enough to take us through until the next grocery store circulars come out on Wednesday. I hope save a lot ground beef 5 pound rolls are on sale. I use a lot of ground beef. The 73% is right for the keto diet. The high fat content is required by the diet and satisfied by the 27% fat content. The extra fat off the meat cooks breakfast eggs. We were out of salad oil. Save a lot carries the brand of oil that hubs likes, so I bought a large container. It was a bit cheaper there than at Walmart market. I make our salad dressing from scratch and we eat a lot of salads as is recommended by this diet.

Tomorrow, I will get us a rotisserie chicken from Winn-Dixie. They are on sale for the same price as Walmart market. Winn-Dixie chickens are larger than Walmart's. But not worth the extra cost when at regular price.

Well, I hate having to have someone mow the grass this summer, but it is time for me to be less stupid. Nothing like pain to knock some sense into a stubborn old muleheaded person like me. Well, we will see how this goes.

I stopped the MSM for the time being. I may try it again after a week or two. Way less than the recommended dosage. I did get my irrigation lines finished. I sat in the living room with the drill and did it on the stool. Not recommended, but let me get it done. Thanks to the afternoon rain, I didn't have to use it. A member of the plant swap club came over and got some volunteer 4'oclocks. We discussed more swaps for a later time. She lives nearby as it so happens. The other swap club I am in is pretty far away actually. Not that good a fit.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am,

Got out 2 more ground beef burgers for tonight's dinner. The convenience of already made patties is interesting. However, hubs and I agree, they taste like they may have an added ingredient. Doesn't taste like the ground beef from the 5 lb. roll. Well, the price was right and I don't buy them if not discounted. Tomorrow, the new grocery circulars come out(maybe) and I am looking for sales on canned vegetables. I want to start stocking up for hurricane season. I look for canned beans and tomatoes mostly. Last summer, I really scored on a sale and had enough to last all season. We didn't have any serious storms, so the canned goods lasted through the winter. The few things I have now, mostly canned meat, fish and tuna fish have another year before expiration.

I am doing less recycling of egg shells and vegetables because it is less walking. When I am healed, I will restart it. Right now, I need to set my priorities differently. I still save sink water and dump it in a couple of flower pots. The flowers mostly died while I was traveling since hubs decided not to water. Since I was out of the country most of the trip, I couldn't disagree with his decision that the occasional rain was enough.

Since I will be limited this week, I need to get my head into house chores. It is not natural for me and so far, I have been disorganized. The goal this week is to change that. It will be tough.

The ac came on 5 times yesterday and quickly cooled the house down to 82F, our daytime temperature. In the past, we have raised the nighttime temperature to 85, but now I just leave it at 82F. We use fans. It is enough. If the outside temperature at night gets down to 70F and is still 70F when I get up, I will open the windows for a few hours. It seems to drop the house temperature a few degrees which is nice. The fresh air is nice too. This morning, it was already 76F at dawn and it is estimated to be in the mid 90's today. That will trigger a bit of ac. The humidity is just 80% which is normal for the house. We have very little fabric left in the house to get moldy.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

A cool front came through yesterday. It brought a touch of rain. I think my plants can make do today. This morning the temperature was 70F outside and not super humid, so I opened the windows and turned on the air recycle house fan on the ac unit. Also put up a couple of small window fans. House temperature inside has dropped to 78F from 80F and maybe it will drop down to 77F.

I got hubs toenails trimmed and saved the $50 the foot doctor charges. I feel I did a much better job on his feet this time. His toenails are not nice like a model's. I feel they look even a bit better than from the doctor's office treatment. And the soapy water his feet soaked in for 10-20 minutes is as close to washing his feet as I can get because they are so sensitive.

Hubs says he is in the mood for beans. We used up all the cans of regular beans and they are not on sale. So I proposed that I make a pot of beans when I cook up the last turkey breast this weekend. So I will cook a couple of cups of beans with the turkey and freeze them in pints. I have about 3 pounds of dry beans. Cooked dry beans taste better than canned. Hubs thinks the canned beans might go on sale when the tax free hurricane preparedness week starts at the end of May. We will see.

Today, I will give hubs a ground beef burger from last week's discount meat buy, $1.59/lb. I thawed a couple of them yesterday. I will pick the rest off of the weekend's rotisserie chicken and toss the bones for tomorrow's garbage pickup. It is a Janet thing.

I won't do wash today because the yard man does not need to see our clothes hanging outside. The weather is supposed to stay dry, so tomorrow should be just as good.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am.

Today, I will get canned vegetables from Winn Dixie and from Save a lot. Of course, discounted meat from Save a lot if there is any. The first yellow blob is on the tropical map. Along the coast, in the pacific, but it signals the start of the season.

Tomorrow, I will cook the last turkey breast from last T day's haul. I buy the cheap turkeys on sale for Thanksgiving and freeze them. The big turkeys go a long way and typically they are all gone about this time. This will be the last one. I will also make sugar free cranberry sauce for it. I froze several bags last fall. Cook it today. It seems to be better the day after. I have to get out the dry beans today to soak. Hubs like the black beans best, but they discolor the turkey meat. I am not wild about that aspect of them. But doing double duty with the crockpot is very satisfying.

I got nearly a pint of chicken off the store bought rotisserie chicken. Janet inspired effort. The little scraps will go in hubs salad. A pint is good for about 3 days. Tomorrow's turkey should give us 2 days of meals and a pint of scraps for hubs salad.

Hubs says the coffee is too strong and I need to cut back on the grounds. Interesting. Ok. Decreased it a bit this morning and I think he may be right. A little savings is still savings.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday pm

Turkey breast made 2 dinners and a pint of scraps for salads. I also have 2 pints of beans to work with. Hubs would like a whole chicken in the crockpot. I can do that, but I think I want red beans with it. Whole chicken is 87c/lb right now. It isn't that much of a savings over the rotisserie chicken, but it cooks up beans as well.

I started walking a little bit with the knee. It did ok, not super though. I moved the bush daisies into the ground and watered them.