DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday

Well, I may yet make it to Home Depot to use my latest coupon. They have medium quality garden hose on sale. Same price as Walmart and with the coupon, cheaper. And HD is a lot more convenient, less gas.

Today, I need to start pulling weeds. The rains have sprouted weeds everywhere. I have 2 trash cans set aside for weeds and I intend to fill them up for the green trash puckup on Thursday. I also have a bunch of volunteer flowers in the yard. Transplant them this week as well. Some of my flowers have drown from the rains. I will need to clean them up as well. So lots to do in the yard. I am glad. I was feeling fat just doing housework. The yardwork will fix that pretty fast. The mosquitoes are bad though. As expected.

Hubs emailed me the upcoming hurricane preparedness tax free weekend coming next weekend. Sounds good. When I went looking for tarps for the car trunk, I was surprised that I didn't find any. I thought I had a brown one not currently being used. So come next weekend, I will go tarp buying at the dollar store. I have one huge one, but I usually need smaller ones. I also could not find my bungee cord stash. I found 4, but I have more. Hurricane season is coming.

The house humidity is quite high this morning. Curious. It makes it feel much hotter inside.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday morning

Normal walks planned. That eats up an hour and half. Then I plan to check my car for trunk leaks and go to Home Depot and get hoses, discounted with a coupon. Work in the yard, pulling weeds the rest of the time.

After weeks of rain, yesterday, I planted all the free bulbs, 4 clumps of iris, 4 large lilies and about 30 amaryllis. it has not rained since. :lol:

Everything in the yard is wet. Hard to know where to start.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday

Yesterday worked out according to plan for the most part. Neighbor said she had things to do and couldn't walk. Hubs and I did though. Bought stuff, saved money, used coupon. Finished off the 69c/lb chicken.

Today started out rainy. Neighbor said it had stopped. Well, it did until we were at the farthest point of our walk and then it poured the rest of the time as we rushed home. I was soaked. May rain all day. :roll: I didn't intend to go out and I won't. I checked the garden for bad bugs and squished a few. Checked my dehumidifier canisters. They are looking pretty used up. Hunted for extras. None to be found at the moment. Friday is the first day of tax free hurricane week. I will get more canisters when I buy tarps and bungee cords at the dollar store. Making a list now.

Today will be stay at home and work on getting the kitchen table properly positioned. They didn't put it back right after laying the tile. Close by a man's standards, not by mine. Confront the situation in the laundry room stuff. Work on getting stuff organized.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday

I feel I made progress in the house yesterday. I re-positioned the table. I then started on the work room. It is where a lot of stuff just get tossed.until. I moved a large, empty, plastic storage tub and temporarily sat it on something. It fell over and cracked on the bottom. So it became a garden planter. I lined it with old cardboard from the cat food cases and then put it outside and filled it with leaves. Today I will add some plants. I wasn't using the tub, so it is a good repurpose. I also moved a set of shelves to the porch where my outdoor kitchen will be. I went through the frig and threw some very old dabs of food away and did some tidy up in the kitchen. A good day.

Today will be similar. More rain predicted, so very little time outside. So inside stuff. The veneer is coming off the old chest of drawers, so I will get all the veneer off and then paint it. I have paint already. It will be pretty.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday

As I expected, June seems to want to become May weather wise. Most cities in the area are reporting "wettest May on record". The forecast is for about 30% for the next two weeks. Temperatures may be higher than May, but at least very little rain.

I decided to buy several oleanders to start a privacy hedge. I have thought about this plant and that plant, but they will have to be hardy. I considered some of the fruiting bushes, but they aren't that hardy. I don't need more stuff to take care of. I need less.

The rains have sprouted many plants I want to keep and has encouraged some plants to put out early seed. I have a lot of potting to do. I did a little yesterday evening. More cuttings have rooted and they need potting too. Feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday

We had no rain yesterday. Pop ups here and there, but more of a summer cycle. It was hot. I have decided to plant my sugar cane in a shaded part of the fence line. I cut down a brazilian pepper several years ago, there and it is said that it puts out a poison to prevent other plants from growing near it. It sure looks true. But the sugar cane has not worked out for me since we are on a no sugar diet. It is attractive in a way, but the leaves have a razor edge making it not suitable for a mixed flower garden.

I may need to put pads on the end of the table chairs. They appear to be scraping the new floor. I will search around the house for a suitable material. I see a piece in my mind.

I intend to get out my electric mower today and mow some grass. Also do some more re-potting. Also move some dirt.