DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

I have decided to start my journal today. Unlike the daily check in, this will be devoted to discovering new ways or better ways to become more frugal, use less, recycle more.

Saturday,
Wasting paper. I read about how many resources it takes to make paper. It costs the environment a lot more than they charge for the paper. So I am trying to be aware and use less or reuse when possible. I have to print my Home Depot garden coupons. I don't have a fancy phone. When I print it, I cut off the unused top, bottom and sides and use them for notes. 2 sets of notes going right now. My weekly 5 frugal and daily goals. I have struggled with distractions, so the daily goals are good for me. Another paper saving. The drug store always puts medication in these nice little pure paper bags. I save them and stuff them with scraps of paper, unused toilet paper that sticks or tears off the roll. When the bag is full, I twist it shut. It is a perfect firestarter. Once the weather is nicer, we will cook out over the open fire with grill and they will get used up quickly.

Right now, I am converting my used up toilet tubes to little seed starter pots. I had trouble with them at first. They would not sit flat. I put them into used egg trays and they really didn't fit well. As it so happens, I got some pansies on clearance that came in small plastic 6 pack. I managed to get the pansies out without destroying the plastic. The plastic 6 pack was a perfect fit for my seed starting pots. The cardboard inserts into the plastic hold additional moisture and when they look dry, I water, not before. The inserts should make it easier to transplant later as well. I am still looking for a best use for the foam egg trays. sigh.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

I saw a use for the plastic foam egg trays. Someone used it to create a lamp shade. First serious use for those I have seen. The lamp shade was not all that attractive, but at least someone is thinking about it.

I assumed that using toilet paper tubes for seed starters would directly translate to paper towel tubes. Well paper towel tubes are thicker and a bit more of a challenge to make square. I did it, but the cutting to make the bottom was tiring.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday

Today, I am thinking about cans. I saw a pinterest picture of a row of metal tubes used as a garden edge. Several people have been experimenting with colored glass wine bottles as edging. They say with tiny back lighting, it is lovely at night. I am not inclined to work with glass and we don't really drink wine anymore. So I am thinking about cans as an edging. We do buy beer occasionally. It is very expensive in my opinion, but it is a treat. The low carb beer comes in these lovely tall cans and I have wanted to do something with them. I also have canned green beans. I also have been thinking about can lids and wind chimes. Some pinterest stuff looks like an escapee from a juke yard.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday

Still thinking about flatten tall vegetable cans for a garden border. Should I remove both end lids to make flattening easier. They will rust faster that way. Does that matter? I use a lot of canned mushrooms. Could I recycle those smaller cans?

Hubs is thinking about converting more little things to solar. He says there may be a new battery on the market that would work for us. Holds a charge longer. A subject for discussion. I am also looking at the available market solar lights and thinking.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday

I like it when grocery stores have good sales on food I buy. I have bought beef and chicken and most is processed and in the freezer. The little freezer is pretty full. Back to the garden today.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday

The cheaper drain field stones were a good buy. They are larger and therefore less likely to fly away when I attempt to blow the fallen leaves off the area. Today, I need to get more and replenish the stones on the east side of the house. I like the look. I am pleased.

With new money coming, we really think we should spend it to upgrade our property. We discussed it a bit this morning. There are things I don't want to do such as new windows all around. The Florida law requires they be essentially shatterproof due to hurricanes. I do not like the idea of having shatterproof windows all around the house. I want the ems and fire people to get in easily and us to get out easily. I would feel claustrophobic if they were all shatterproof. What about those bad guys? Well, I believe that we should not display wealth and that might be a discouragement. We are about the poorest looking house in the neighborhood right now. I mean we don't even have a fancy concrete driveway. We have old Florida shell. Hubs likes it.

I do want to upgrade a couple of windows. The big front window will be hurricane level. It is already in the budget for this year. But I would like to improve one or two more to a better quality of glass and ease of opening. But the window law is percentage. We will have to see what we can do. Thinking.