DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday

Sometimes, I feel like I am not making much progress. People say that is because I have too many projects. I counter by saying I need several so that I can move from one to another if I hit a roadblock on the first one. And there are a lot of roadblocks these days. The old rule, don't let the immediate get in the way of the important sure seems illogical right now. The immediate is important. Like the coffeepot this morning instead of mowing grass. Another thing with that old saying is that it ignores the heat and old age. At a feel like of 104F, I am sure going to have to stop often and not use the same muscles too much. Stupid old saying. Yeah, I am feeling grumpy.

Well, I am going to just keep working a little every day and hope I stay ahead of the weeds. I am not getting my garden planted. At this point, I just need to work on that fence line. Once it is all planted, hopefully, it won't be a constant eyesore.

The yard guy is working out. He is weed wacking the back yard. I had been keeping it mowed, but suddenly, it was out of control. Lots of rain. Well, hopefully, we will enter the dry season soon.

I did move dinner to 4:30 pm, so I could get a couple of hours of time in the yard. A later dinner just didn't give me any time to do stuff in the less hot part of the day. I also have moved hubs up time to 6 am, so I can get out to walk earlier. He grumped about it for awhile, but finally grasped how hot it was in the middle of the day.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday

It is going to be a hot one today. I did get Hubs to walk this morning and he said he is starting to crave snacks. So it looks like this will be my go to the bulk food place day. I have to print a coupon for free fresh peanut butter first. Then gather my recycle containers. I will check out the dollar tree next door to the store because it is bigger than the one here and lots of different things.

The grass will have to wait. I prefer to do errands in the am since I don't use the car ac and it gets really hot in the car in the afternoon. The afternoon will be devoted to the turkey slow cooked out on the porch. I will figure about 4 hours for it. I am planning to add a few dry soaked beans to the pot. They should be cooked after 4 hours. Just an experiment. Also put in the rest of the cauliflower in the last hour. This could be interesting.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday

Another week begins. This week I plan to cook another turkey breast. I thaw the breast over 4 days, then debone it, putting the bone back into the freezer for winter soup. The two deboned breasts, one goes to the freezer and the other in the slow cooker. These are the 99c/lb breasts on sale last month.

So today, I will defrost a chicken breast for dinner tonight. Not enough leftover turkey for a full meal for two. I will put a roll of ground beef in the frig to thaw and tomorrow have ground beef stir fry. Wednesday, burgers off the roll and the rest made into patties and frozen. Usually about 3 meals worth. Thursday, the turkey breast. Friday, probably chicken breasts. Another family package of chicken breasts out of the freezer.

I took a risk filling the new to me freezer so full during hurricane season. I will be more careful in the future. The ground beef rolls are on sale often. There is no reason to stock up so much. The fish, I thought they were going to discontinue, so I bought 3 bags.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday

I'm not making the progress I had hoped for. I am not sure why. Probably reading too much news. So less iPad today.

I have made progress on the back porch garden, but I think I need to spend some time on the back fence. A gardener in my FB group is getting rid of herbs this Saturday, so I may drop over there and get some.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday

I have not gotten my gardening bench back up. I am not too concerned about it right now. I really need to get non garden things done around here. Thinking on it.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday

Well, I planned to cook turkey today, but I found Hatch peppers for 49c/lb and so I will make hatch pepper, onion ground beef, tex mex style with chipotle sauce. The ones that are not used I can put the freezer for later. What a great buy.

Hubs wants me to go to Walmart and buy him some shirts and he wants it done today. uggh. He says they are on clearance.