DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday

Handyman came. We discussed my lean to idea. It is going to be a major project like redoing the porch. I have decided to think on the ideas a bit. However, he says work is slow, so I said I wanted rain gutter put up in the back. We agreed on a price and the project starts tomorrow. I also want it in the front, but I am having some problem deciding on whether to have it colored or white. Since he has some time, I think I will have him do a couple of other things that I have been meaning to get to, but pretty far down the list. The free energy audit with coupons is this Friday. If the coupons are as good as some people say, then I will schedule attic insulation. And I expect to hear from the window people by mid August. Hopefully, installation will happen before Sept 1. Then the inspector will take a couple of more weeks. I am looking forward to seeing major progress.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday

Tuesday, handyman put up the rain gutter. Ran into a problem with the screens for it. I took the screens back, but they didn't have any that would fit. Frustrating.

Worked in the yard. Built another 8 ft garden and also reset some pavers for my court yard patio.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday

Today, I will head down to ACE hardware. I have a $5 off coupon and they have some stuff I want that Home Depot doesn't have.

The free energy audit yesterday left me with coupons and rebates for insulation, ductwork repair and windows. I love free, but rebates and coupons are good too. They also said that my ac was working fine. That is always good to know.

Hubs asked me what I was going to do for next year since I have done or will do so much this year. I told him next year I would like to downsize the kitchen area. He had hoped that we would see the grandchildren more often and would need the big table, but he realizes now that we won't. He is sad about that, but is accepting it.

I need to call my health plan rewards program. I visited the doctor for an annual checkup and they give me $15 gift card for doing that. With setting up the ductwork appointment and sitting online for the Winn Dixie help line and checking on the windows, the phone will be busy today.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday

I hope this will be a good day. I am missing out on a lot of savings by not using the reward cards more. I think I will have to have a talk with myself on that matter.

I feel like project planning today. With the slight headache lingering, not going to be an active day.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday

Got the Winn dixie reward card set up and saved $5 off my $2.99/lb meat. Also got some yogurt and was supposed to save 5c off the yogurt purchase. I think she messed up, but I decided not to push it. The store was very, very busy.

I also bought shoes and saved $10 off plus no tax because it was a tax holiday. Mall was terribly crowded.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday

We just love the frozen pollack fish cooked in the wok. It is available from Walmart in large bags. Much cheaper than salmon. We eat about 10 oz at a meal So that is about $3 for the 2 of us or $1.50 per person. Usually a side of veggies. Salmon here runs around $9/lb. The fish from China is cheaper, but I don't trust the fish raised in the polluted water in China.

Today, I have to take hubs to the dentist which is near Aldi's. I can visit their fresh veggies. Then we will need to stop at Home Depot on the way home to pick up screening for the gutters. Frugal to combine stops.

Then I will work on the concrete block base for the rain barrels in front. The barrels are not that pretty, so I may consider painting them. Something to consider during the dry season.

Tonight, I will slice beef for stir-fry and use some of my frozen veggies. We will need no more than a pound of meat which was priced at $2.99/lb, so another $3 meat for 2 and 50c pepper mix and 65c mushrooms or about $2 per person including veggies.

I made solar tea several times this summer and it seems not as interesting as in past years. We both seem to like well water best.