DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:37 am

Wednesday am

It should warm up today. The predicted rain is now put off until Friday. I can move the cans of garden waste to the front for green pickup. Composting this waste is not productive since it is full of weed seeds. Leaves on the other hand makes good compost.

Tomorrow may be warm enough to paint. Today will not be. May be a good day to do tidy up inside and outside. Need a bit of outside time.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:30 am

Thursday am

Lovely day. 70F and no wind. Sunshine. Time to rake some more leaves. Laundry is out on the line drying. Open up the windows this afternoon.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Thursday pm.

The house temperature is up to 73F. This is interesting. The house has continued to warm up since the sun and temperature has gone down. This suggests a heat transmission delay rate of about 2 hours. Wood shutters are off the windows and stored.

Worked on a couple of minor projects today. Do a bit more in the morning.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:38 am

Friday am

I built the wall for the patio extension in the back. Hubs said the wall is too tall and it wants it lower. Ok. I can always build it higher at a later time. I did make the wall into a planter box with concrete blocks on both sides. I have decided to put the azalea I got off the clearance rack at Walmart. I had planned to put them in the front, but one has bloomed and it is not the color on the tag. More orange than red. So they will go in the back. I will put the hydrangea in front. I think the blue will look good against the white house and red front door.

I like the idea of the barn door for my bedroom window. That is a 2019 project.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:57 am

Saturday am

I will start pricing materials for the window barn door today. Drop over to Home Depot after a couple of other stops. I need cap pavers for my new patio wall. They usually have slightly lower prices than Lowe's and they are convenient. See what wood they have on 70% discount.

It is a good time to set goals for 2019. Janet has started and I need to follow her lead.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:46 am

Sunday am

Today, I will work a bit on my new patio garden wall and also put up the wooden shutters on the north windows. Makes a difference. I can leave them up until Thursday when rain is expected. I don't like to leave them up because I feel water can collect on them leading the mold over time. I have concluded that I need to enlarge the gravel areas around the house. Think on the details and see what materials I can reuse.

I checked out the bealls outlet store next door to save a lot yesterday. I saw that that they did have some good prices on sheet sets. I would like one more for hubs bed. A good price on long curtains too. Thinking. However, I am not seeing the summer comforter I want. Thinking on that as well.

I think I will put up the plastic "curtains" over the big window. Despite being double pane glass, I can feel the coldness next to it. Also today, rearrangement in the office area. I have felt lazy the last couple of days. Maybe today, I can turn my thinking into actions.