DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:59 am

Tuesday am

Looking forward to the house warming up. The house with the new insulation and windows has given us another 5 degrees of cold neutralizing power, so we can have a 20F delta from the outside. And this is with some additional window coverings and the shutters on the north side. I did not put up any covering over the picture window in front and I felt for drafts during the cold spell. I have to think on what to do about them. The house also has about a 2 hour delay. So if it is 70F outside, it won't be 70F inside for 2 hours. Opening the windows doesn't seem to mater any. How this will apply in the summer is unknown. It is also apparent that cooking heats up the house about 1-2 degrees. The outside kitchen should help the bills in the summer. Going to be an interesting summer.

I have been gathering limbs for the leave and limb pickup on Thursday. I will dispose of another trash can of leaves with limbs as well as the pile of limbs from last Friday's storms. Maybe get a can of weeds as well. We will see how the time works out on that.

Mostly, I will work on expanding the marble chip barrier around the house. The plastic barrier is all broken down from being stepped on by painters and window people and the chips are no longer contained. Clearly 12 inches was not wide enough for walking next to the house. That is ok. The 12 inches was an improvement over nothing but dirt and weeds. Constant improvement is what life is all about. I started on the north east side of the house. I have about 30-40 feet of area to do on that side. The rest to the south of the north east end is concrete patio. It will take all day. I have 8 bags of stones. I hope it will be enough to at least cover the new additional 12 inches. The stones were bought on a great sale last year. People think I am crazy for buying in bulk on sale, but I knew I would use the stones up and bulk on sale is frugal. I sort of feel that most think I am a crazy lady with my piles of mulch and unfinished projects. Sometimes I wonder if my eyes are bigger than my capabilities. But then I see myself at the tortoise, slow and steady wins the race. Most widows here do no yard maintenance. Maybe mow the grass. And couples, well it would be great to have a helpful husband instead of one who sits all day. but those are the breaks. I sometimes marvel at the improvements I have made instead of looking at all my piles.

I have been working on 2019 projects. I am going to put up curtains over the windows. I have a small kitchen window and I saw the frugal idea I will pursue. I have been disappointed with the curtains offered by most places. The style and prices were yucky. But I saw a simple style on pinerest that caught my fancy. Just a spring bar, but a tie up drape look. It would be some simple sewing, but I could use any material I want. I also want to replace the vertical blinds over the patio door. The blinds are old and won't slide anymore. I don't like vertical blinds anyway. I spent the $1.59 to buy shower hooks that will slip over the existing rod. I tested one and sure enough it worked. So what to put there. A fancy shower curtain with a design which is cheaper than most curtains or a set of curtains. The designer curtains are ridiculously priced. once the Christmas madness is over, I will look around. I have looked at ways to recycle the vertical blinds and there isn't much that isn't way too much work and look tacky. The purpose is to just manage the late afternoon summer sunlight. It is kind of glaring through that window.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:56 am

Thursday am

Weather is nicer. I seem to be more easily disturbed by bad weather, cold and wind then when I was younger. Must be an old person thing. But today should be a good day.

Inspired by the widow across the street who was picking up sticks to fill a trashcan for today's leaf/limb pickup, I filled 2 more cans. I was pleased at how much better the back yard looked. I must make this a habit.

Today will be the front flower bed and a walk with hubs. He hasn't walked in a month or more due to the weather. We will walk to the produce stand and I will check over the fresh produce.

Dishes and laundry are on the list with painting plywood and caulking the awning next. Several days of perfect weather should provide me some opportunities.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:54 am

Saturday am

House is warming up. I removed the wooden exterior shutters from the north windows yesterday and rebuilt the planter in the front of the house and extended the gravel area in the front of the house to 24 inches. I used the plastic bags off the marble chips I put on the south end of the house as an underlay for the extended gravel area. Unlike regular plastic, they have small seep holes that will let water go through. A good re-use of the bags. Less waste, more frugal.

The insecticide stakes around the house feel like a good thing. I don't like poisons, but I dislike termites and ants more. Right now we have to pay for a company to spray to keep the ants under control. Maybe eventually, we can become free of that expense.

Jackielou set up a 2019 goals and I posted mine there.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:06 pm

Monday evening

After extending the gravel out 24 inches in the front, north east side, I placed 3 termite poison stakes at about 6 foot apart. It was slow going. I needed to stop and think about how I was going to do the north corner where the power box is located. I have pavers there to make it easier to exam the power, phone etc. I also needed to keep the termite poison stakes away from the power lines that go into the ground there. So I thought about it and late on Sunday figured out how to do it. So now I have 4 stakes in the ground. They provide 15 which they say is enough for a 1300 sq ft house. But with the outside porches, hubs thinks we are a bit larger. So I probably need another box. Well, I regularly get a Home Depot $5 off coupon, so I expect a new one within a week. Timing should be just right to buy another 15 stakes. I won't be working on that project for a few days until I feel better from the eye injection.

The next few days will be inside work away from potential dust and water. I have some mending to do and some organizing of files in the office area. Light physical work until I feel better.

The weather is nice and warm. And I didn't need to heat turned on since the insulation and windows were put in. Great frugal way to end the year.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:01 am

Tuesday am 2019

Time to consider changes to personal habits for 2019. This is less about doing frugal things and more about personal growth. I am still not feeling that well due to the eye injection, so it will be a day to contemplate change.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:16 am

Wednesday early am

Part of this year's resolutions is to get more involved with the financial operations of the house. I let hubs handle it because he would feel more important. Well, we manage things so differently that his ways are simply alien to me and I would have a steep learning curve if I suddenly had to do it. He has everything stored on the computer in files which only he can get to. This doesn't seem smart. He keeps hard copy files, but they are messed up.

Last night, we started through them. There was a lot to discard. But things are cleaner now.

The hardest part of these things will be the medical. Due to medicare and the advantage plan we are on, there is a lot of paper generated. We will tackle that later on Wednesday.