DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 am

Tuesday am

I am glad hubs could avoid the eye procedure and got a "good for a year"release from the doctor. I had to wash clothes yesterday and it was raining off and on all day. And 100% humidity. So I waited until hubs went to bed and washed and laid the clothes out all over the furniture to dry overnight. It worked. Pulled the last of the dampness out in the dryer this morning. Hooray for frugal choices.

The measurement company called and will be out Thursday. I did a home measurement of the bathroom and I think they will be unable to fashion an accessible sink based on current codes. But we will see. I remain surprised that hubs is putting up resistance about the kitchen. I guess it has to do with his lifelong attitude that "I am not disabled". I respect the attitude, but.....

I found the perfect backsplash as Lowe's. Unfortunately, I can't buy it until the kitchen goes in because we won't know the actual measurement. Waiting is so hard sometimes.

I gave thought to the suggestions regarding recycling the old tennis shoes. I saw one idea of making old shoes into a bird house. Unfortunately, I have concluded that they will most likely become wasp nests. So I will have to just throw them away. I will save the laces however. They are very long and I can use them as waist ties when I turn old t-shirts into skirts.

I planted the plumeria stick that got me in so much trouble. An educational moment. I got a lot of advice from the gardening FB group concerning it. Most say it won't bloom for several years. It is yellow and smells like peaches. Well, she gave me a plant called a buddy belly and it has done well with neglect. Meanwhile, I must plant a bunch of plant cuttings that I successfully rooted through neglect. Still I dread facing the heat, humidity and especially the mosquitoes.

Mono pricked my interest with her question about nutrition of frozen meat. Freezing does "denature" proteins breaking them down to amino acids, but the experts say it doesn't damage nutrition because it is the amino acids that the human body uses. Very interesting.

Most of the experts say we have a storm "pass" until early September. I tried to get a prediction from a live FB storm blogger yesterday on how long we will have dry Sahara air killing the Atlantic storms, but he didn't answer me.

I did connect up with an old Texas canoe club friend via chat last night. She is doing a lot of meetups and getting to continue enjoying the water. I am happy for her. I never warmed up to meetups.

The sun is out. Time to make hubs some more solar tea. And get another package of frozen chicken breasts into the refrigerator for slow thawing. Experts says the thawing process is very important.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:15 am

Wednesday am

It appears that it will not rain for a few hours, so I may get a frugal exercise walk with my neighbor in. It is hot, so may be a short one. Today, I will combine several stops when I go out to get hubs prescription. I will do that early to avoid the heat. Gas seems to be cheap right now, so a good time to add that to the list. I hope the weather and mosquitoes will allow me to cut down the trash trees that have quickly grown up in the corner of the yard. I have to figure out how to transfer the good soil from the old kiddie pool growing experiment to pots. The kiddie pools have deteriorated quickly under the Florida sun. A surprise.

Hubs is upset about the rejection of certain bills from our medical re-embursement plan. I said I would look into it. I have been thinking about doing that for awhile.

The grocery store sales are poor again this week, so I will get another tray of chicken breasts out to thaw slowly in the refrigerator.

I removed the tennis shoe laces and bagged the shoes for the garbage. I have the laces soaking before washing. The recycle programs are really non existent and the turning them into flower pots looks dumb.

The only way to stay above the hate is to be sure and show an act of random kindness every day. So yesterday, since I was home, I sent a FB post to a swap group thanking a member who shared starts of passionflower vines with me several months ago. She offered them free. I told her they were doing well. These are butterfly hosts plants. Today, I should be able to compliment someone when I am out shopping and fulfill my act of random kindness for the day. It is free and good for mental health.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 am

Wednesday am update

Walk was cancelled due to rain. Looks like rain all day. A mixed blessing. No sun, less heat, less ac. No sun, less opportunity to get yard weeds collected for pickup tomorrow. Still frustrating.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Thursday noon

We got 3 inches of rain since yesterday. And the humidity is very high. And we are due for more rain for the next 2 days. The ditches are full, but running and flowing into the lake. The rain is due to slow up by Sunday and nothing tropical is expected to form. The area is 10 inches above normal and with this additional rain, we may go for a record this month.

I am trimming the false rosella. They will get tall and easily blown over. I am planting the sticks. Some may live or not. Should be interesting.

Hubs has been in a mood the last 2 days. I will need to check on the retirement medical insurance next week. Also we got a call yesterday from the house insurance people asking if we had any questions. Huh? So I put a call into them concerning that. Waiting for a return call.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:03 am

Friday am

The insurance agent got back with me yesterday after I called a second time. When I asked why they didn't return my call, they said they had had phone problems this week. The insurance is just fine although hubs is a bit annoyed and says it barely covers anything. Hubs also said that the medical account is free money and be grateful that it is covering anything.

I was able to cut down some trash trees yesterday between rain events. No walking this morning.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 pm

Friday pm

Thanks to the rain, I was able to pull up most of the several clumps of sugar cane in the front between cloud bursts. I want those spots for other plants. Yesterday, my good deed was calling my snowbird neighbor up north and telling her a limb had fallen on her power line. She said she had tried to contact her daughter living south of here to come remove it. She would have her daughter check the power as well. Today, I was able to let her know that the limb was off the line. She thanked me because she didn't know if anyone had taken care of it. She also asked me for my tree man phone number. I gladly provided it to her. That limb from that tree that fell on her power line means that tree needs to go.

Rain continues. But the plus side is the ac did not come on at all today. Down side is the humidity in the house is up a bit. Oh well, it is Florida.