DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Just continue on with my projects today. The high winds yesterday drove me inside. With gusts of over 20 mph, the air was filled with dust kicked up from the dry ground. I hope to have a productive day after doing mostly nothing yesterday. I did watch a Ken Burns special on T. Roosevelt. Ken Burns is a wonderful story teller.

So far no winds, so I may be able to get a load of laundry out to dry instead of "fly". I am annoyed that the plastic clothes pins are breaking. I also have some wooden ones. They are lasting better. I dry the little stuff inside on a clothes line I jigged up in the laundry room. I spoke to hubs about getting our solar panel out, but he was into making excuses. He does that sometimes. It is not urgent in my mind, so I will focus my energies on my garden projects. My energy is reduced by this high heat. Conserve it for my projects. When it is this hot, I want to cut my hair just to be cooler. But hubs likes it long and he really got upset when I cut it years ago. I am not going to color it for awhile. I usually only color it when I am going to travel and that's not happening anytime soon.

Moving the heavy meal of the day from 6 pm to 4 pm seems to really be good. Hub's lunch is a light salad and maybe a yogurt. By eating at 4 pm, he doesn't get in an additional mid afternoon snack and I hope it will pay off in a bit of weight reduction. He needs to lose those last famous pesky 5 lbs. I can really load the 4 pm meal up with vegetables and he eats them all because he is hungry. He doesn't need anything else the rest of the day. At least as far as I can tell. The worse heat of the day is at 4 pm, so eating and then digesting in the ac is a smart use of the time. As the sun drops low and it is a tad cooler, I can get some outside work done and watch the fabulous sunset as a bonus. The mosquitoes are not bad maybe because of the natural mosquito predators in the rural area here. Right at dark, the bats crisscross the lake performing amazing acrobatics and eating mosquitoes.

Hubs promises to get the monthly expense report done today. I had to buy some food this month at a high cost, so I have no idea what the report will show. I hope the fact that I am shopping less often compensates.

I had envisioned the outside sink, my pre-kitchen remodeling one, as a gardening station. However, it is deeper than the handicapped sink I had to buy for the kitchen and I use the outside sink to wash the big items like the crockpot. It would be very difficult to clean inside and I really like a clean crockpot when cooking. As a result, my gardening and transplanting is happening at the far end of the covered patio. I am so glad I got all the 55 gallon barrels from the neighbor when he took down his floating dock. They are strong enough to hold the recycled door that is my planting station and also my bagged soil at a convenient level for working. Recycling is very satisfying and feels very frugal. Waste not.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday-am

This morning, I feel very optimistic that the shutdown will be over soon. NYC has revised their numbers down, depending on which channel you listen to. CNN says no. NBC says yes. I have read that other places have started re-examining their numbers and suggesting perhaps the Covid-19 high death rate enthusiasm did not consider other causes of death. If this is proven true, the public will be so mad. Personally, I needed to reset my priorities and this shut down has been a blessing of sorts. I was not as frugal as I could and should be. I was shopping too much. A confession.

It sure looks like I am going to use a lot of garden pots this year. I really need to keep my tomatoes and peppers "mobile" thanks to this abnormal early heat. The heat has definitely slowed me down. The hottest March on record for many areas of Florida. And April, no better. And abnormally dry as well. I planted the tomatoes based on a normal spring. Considering the circumstances, they have done well. Now to learn from this experience.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday-am

A cool, dreary day outside this morning. But I am feeling happy. I got soil on sale and pavers on sale. I am mad at the animal that tossed my dill plant seedlings all over the place. I am not sure they will recover. Frustrating. I guess I need to bring them inside at night. Thinking on it.

If I get stuck inside due to the weather, I hope to make it productive. During the winter, I found that a cardboard insert into the window worked very well against the cold. I have plenty of large free cardboard pieces thanks to the kitchen remodeling. Some of them were naturally perfect. Some were not. So it might be a good time to label the perfect ones and store and cut the rest to a better fit. See if I can get myself motivated to do that. I considered if I should use them against the summer heat. I decided not. Too much work taking them in and out. Also the engineering studies do not support additional insulation when the delta is less than 20 degrees. It is unlikely we will hit 102F, 20 degree delta, here in Florida. Hubs does not handle being "enclosed" well. He even got worried that we didn't have enough air fresheners now that the house is closed up for the ac. I put out fresh ones all over the house and made sure he saw where I put them. I buy them in bulk and save money.

It sure was educational to see how many people absolutely miss social interactions. I thought I would, but I don't. I like that people aren't crowding up to me in line. The big question is what will happen when the restrictions are lifted. Will people rush out to buy stuff or will they remain afraid and at home? Hubs and I are discussing that now. Hubs thinks the stock market will drop again when the employment figures come out. I am inclined to think those have already been factored in. Various European countries are trying to figure out how to re-open. Germany, apparently is using a calculation they call the R value. But it is not the statistical R value. It is just something they made up. Italy and Spain still feels that they got the short stick regarding PPE. They may consider leaving the EU as a result. Should be interesting how this all plays out.

There is tremendous pressure to open up stuff. Parks and beaches are high on the list. Schools are a question mark since they were due to close down in May anyways for the summer. Which businesses open when? Interesting times. Household debt is going to be really high though. People buying tp and other things at inflated prices is not compatible with a budget. Laid off people unable to get unemployment because the state system crashes. Credit card companies are going to make out like bandits. But they are bandits in my opinion charging outrageous interest rates, taking advantage of vulnerable people. Just my opinion.

The food plan for the rest of the week includes 2 dinners of turkey. Maybe 3. That will leave just one turkey breast in the freezer. The grocery store ads for this week did not include much that I wanted or needed. The exception was save a lot onions, 3 pounds for 99c. I generally buy 9-12 pounds of the onions. Maybe half is chopped and frozen. The rest is used fresh. The onion ends are planted to make more onions. Hit or miss in this climate. I buy a couple of other things there, but the question is it worth the trip? Maybe early next week. I will need to get another frozen roll of ground beef out to thaw next week. I am also thinking fish from the freezer for the end of next week. If I can get cheap neck beef at save a lot, I might make some sauerkraut and beef. Hubs likes to have that once every few months. It is time.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday-am

I need to get the plates rinsed off in the outside sink for hubs to put in his dishwasher. I went ahead and thawed the 2nd turkey thigh. Good thing. We will have turkey thigh tonight again. Then tomorrow, I will cook beans in the turkey juice. We have no cooked beans in the freezer. They get eaten up as a side or in Mexican ground beef. It may be time for some black beans. Yum. Throw in a pint of frozen onions as well. Of course, I will do some tomato dehydrating with my dehydrator. Hope it works as advertised.

I overslept this morning and didn't do my morning exercises. It sure is hard to make good habits, a habit.

Hubs says we got our tax refund direct deposited, so that issue is taken care of for the year.

Meals are going according to plan and that is good. I moved a bunch of canned goods from the hurricane supplies to the daily pantry. I am particularly looking to use up any canned goods lacking a pop top. We should be down to the bottom of the freezer within a month and I may try to defrost it before hurricane season in June. See how that all works out.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday-thought for the day

We will ever be normal again? Historically, the answer is yes. Along with the Spanish flu and WW1, the roaring 20's came in for a few years. Of course, we have already had our roaring 20's progressive predecessor. Those years were a time of liberal thinking, called the Progressive era. It is believed to start around 1900 or so. Life was generally good as it has been for us now recently described my many innovations and many social freedoms and a stab at addressing social ills. It includes the time of National parks, labor laws and economic reforms. Of course, history never repeats itself exactly the same, so it is important to take the larger view of such cycles. It is consistent that after a period of heady good times, a reversal to hard times begin. Thus the hint of victory gardens and Depression era cooking skills.

How effectively will the world pull out of this recession? And what will be the consequences? Interesting times. History is so very relevant to the future, but so ignored.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

Another frugal day ahead. Cooking outside to reduce heat. Washing dishes using the sun heated water. And maybe finish prepping the area where the solar panel will be deployed. If this one works out, we can move to a bigger better solar unit. Of course, lights off when the sun comes up and power off after making coffee or food allowing the residual heat to finish cooking or keep the brew warm. It became clear to me yesterday that I need to expand the kitchen area for more cooking multitasking. I had to move the crockpot to steam the broccoli in the old rice cooker and then move it for the dehydrator. Meanwhile, I need to repair 2 sections of irrigation line and a roll down blind. Lots to do. See which task catches my fancy.

I did do my morning exercises. I think it is day 4 on those. I am more confident of washing the dishes when the hose water is hot. I guess it is easier because the rewards are immediate. Can't say that with exercise. I am very happy with the results of the tomato dehydration. I tasted a few and they were so sweet. Like eating candy. Of course, when hubs gets his green onions, the tops become chopped garnish. Well, we will have beans tonight, the ground beef roll should be thawed enough to provide us dinner tomorrow. Probably stir-fry with fresh broccoli, chopped onions and mushrooms. Monday will likely be Mexican with black beans. Tuesday is a trip to buy 99c onions. Since I also need to resupply the bulk air fresheners, I probably will hit the big Walmart first and save a lot for onions on the way back. Freezer stock, 2 remaining rolls of ground beef and 2 small packages of chicken breasts and one turkey breast. Several fish meals in the refrigerator freezer.