Gayle's Frugal-Attempts Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
gaylejackson2

Re: Gayle's Spend-less & save more

Post by gaylejackson2 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:54 pm Kids clothes are nearly impossible to find at thrift stores here, especially boys' clothes. It wasn't until DD hit a misses size 2 that we found anything for her at a thrift store.

Mens' clothes are nearly impossible, too.

I don't know what drives it other than we're less 'hard' on our clothes than guys and kids, maybe.
Children's clothing are difficult to find here too, well certain sizes are. Boys clothes from size 10 and larger are harder to find than similar sizes in girls' clothes.

Men's clothes are difficult to find here too, and Dh typically tends to buy his own. In fact, the men's section at our thrift shop is also boys, and babies/toddlers. The women's side has girls too, and it's packed fairly full of racks, but most of them are not styles or sizes that I can wear.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Hubs orders his own. He is a regular user of Amazon and has free shipping.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:05 am Hubs orders his own. He is a regular user of Amazon and has free shipping.
Occasionally Amazon has awesome prices on Levi's, which DH appreciates.

But the boy... he needs to try things on. He's tall and skinny but with a bone structure that indicates that eventually he'll fill out, be more like his dad, proportional in height/weight. He's hit a growth spurt that seems... endless. Straight up.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I have fallen off the frugal journal entry wagon. In March I worked 15 different sub jobs on 13 separate days, and I felt less like writing (or doing much of anything) in the evenings OR on my days off... which was helpful in shopping -- several times I found myself at the store 2-3 extra times in a week too. :cry:

April is shaping up to be similar, with 10 full days of scheduled subbing at high or middle schools, and a half day (next Monday) at my littles' elementary. However, I have a knitting retreat on Thursday through Sunday this week, plus a high school friend's wedding on Saturday afternoon.

I'm hopeful for 15 No-Spend days in April. Here's how this month is looking so far:

Spend: 4
No-spend: 5

I may spend tomorrow, but am hoping to wait to grocery shop until Thursday or Friday -- our milk supply will determine that though. :lol:
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I posted this on April 12 in the no-spend challenge.
------------------------------------------------------------
Well I didn't make it to Thursday or Friday, I went shopping yesterday (Wednesday), as Dh was concerned at our 1 remaining gallon of milk! Plus I'd forgotten that I'd signed up to bring a fruit salad to the church dinner last night and needed pudding and canned mandarins.

So spending-wise, here are my current totals:

Spend Days: 5
No-spend Days: 7
Still aiming for 15 no-spend days.

I won't spend today April 12 (I don't count online bill payments, which is what I'm doing today), but will need to buy gas and the fruit I'm contributing to the knitting retreat tomorrow. If needed, I will buy gas on my way home on Saturday evening, then hopefully no spending until Monday or Tuesday.

However, I'll update the totals for anything past today (April 12) next Monday morning or Tuesday. I do have to work Monday afternoon at my kids' Elementary school, not looking forward to it, but it will be GOOD EXPERIENCE for me-- I just have to keep reminding myself of this. ;)
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

To update from April 12th:

I spent on Friday April 13 for fruit, milk, gasoline, and laundry detergent. I also spent on Saturday for gasoline. No spent on Sunday, Monday, but Dh used my account to buy milk & fruit on Tuesday so I'm counting it. Then no spend on Wednesday or Thursday, then Friday I bought computer printer at Walmart and food at grocery store.
Then no-food-spending on Saturday or Sunday.

So spending-wise, here are my current totals:

Spend Days: 9
No-spend Days: 13
Still aiming for 15 no-spend days, and I think I can make it... but there are other factors coming into play now (read April 22nd check-in for more details if you missed the story).
--
We are out of milk, and almost out of fruit, so definitely spending for food tomorrow.