Gayle's Frugal-Attempts Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
gaylejackson2

Re: Gayle's Spend-less & save more

Post by gaylejackson2 »

More updating required, last post was April 22nd. Here's my totals from then:

Spend Days: 9
No-spend Days: 13
Still aiming for 15 no-spend days, and I think I can make it... but there are other factors coming into play now (read April 22nd check-in for more details if you missed the story).
---
I'd hoped to wait until Tuesday April 24th to spend, no such luck. I spent Monday April 23rd, again on Thursday April 26th, and again on Saturday April 28th & Monday April 30th.

So end of April totals are:
Spend Days: 13
No-spend Days: 17
Did I make 15 no-spend? YES :D
---
For May, I spent yesterday May 3rd for a few things, and will go again today May 4th, then I hope no spending again until Tuesday May 8th.

As of today, here's my total days:

Spend Days: 2
No Spend Days: 2
I want 15 no-spend days again.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Congrats and good luck!
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I fell off the wagon... stopped keeping track in May. Now I'm hoping to get back on the no-spend train. :D

I'm hoping for 15 no-spend days in June. Thus far, I spent on June 1st (yesterday), and haven't spent yet, but the day is young yet. :lol:

Spend: 1
No-spend: 0
Wanting 15 no-spend days in June

*Repeat post from no-spend thread.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

June so far is not a good month for me, too much spending already. :shock:

I spent on June 1st, June 4th, and I need to go buy groceries today. :( At least I have 2 no-spend days, and I'm hoping for 0 spending for next 2-3 days as well. Saturday will be different, as I have a family reunion out of town that day, and will buy gasoline that morning. Then 0 spending again on Sunday.

Spend Days: 3
---------------------------------------------
ETA:

On the saving front, I'm not doing so great. HELOC payment went up to $120 from $89 in April, then up to $192 last month, and for June it's going to be $211 (I think because Dh pulled out about $1000)!! ACK!!

I only have about $200 in each of my emergency & retirement savings accounts... however, I keep telling myself, that IS something!! I'm considering putting that money into term savings accounts, the retirement one into 5 years, and the emergency one into 6 months.

I keep telling myself that I need to be patient... and to get using up more of what I already have.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:03 pm June so far is not a good month for me, too much spending already. :shock:

I spent on June 1st, June 4th, and I need to go buy groceries today. :( At least I have 2 no-spend days, and I'm hoping for 0 spending for next 2-3 days as well. Saturday will be different, as I have a family reunion out of town that day, and will buy gasoline that morning. Then 0 spending again on Sunday.

ETA:

On the saving front, I'm not doing so great. HELOC payment went up to $120 from $89 in April, then up to $192 last month, and for June it's going to be $211 (I think because Dh pulled out about $1000)!! ACK!!

I only have about $200 in each of my emergency & retirement savings accounts... however, I keep telling myself, that IS something!! I'm considering putting that money into term savings accounts, the retirement one into 5 years, and the emergency one into 6 months.

I keep telling myself that I need to be patient... and to get using up more of what I already have.
Gayle, I give you credit for trying to save given that you have five children and a husband who likes to spend.

Unsolicited advice here so take it or leave it.

I would not recommend putting your emergency savings in a term account. You want it readily available when you have an emergency. Otherwise I think you’ll be tempted to use your credit card. Maybe put it in a savings account at a local credit union.

The retirement account, on the other hand, could be in a term account. But since interest rates are going up, I think that maybe a 2-year CD would be better so that in two years you could roll it over for a higher rate. You may have to wait until you have $500 but maybe not.

Gayle, whatever you do I hope that you will keep both of these accounts in your name only.

Good luck and pat yourself on the back for all you do.
rinty

Post by rinty »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:03 pm June so far is not a good month for me, too much spending already. :shock:

ETA:

Gayle I agree with FCL, any saving needs to be in your name only. Also your earnings need to go into an account in your name only. I am absolutely breathless with the idea of your DH withdrawing $1000 ( which I imagine was frittered rather than for some definite purchase or reason ) which has then landed you with DOUBLE your previous budgeted amount to pay off. Is this HELOC a bill you are expected to pay from the household budget ? Has he then given you more money to pay it each month ? For me, it would be worth an argument to make it very clear what a BURDEN his silly short term decision making skills have caused the family.

ANYWAY, whatever you decide I would say to you that you always put 50% of what you earn straight to savings that you don't touch.