Sheila's 2018 Savings Story

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: Sheila's 2018 Savings Story

Post by floridacatlover »

Sheila, You are one of the people I admire most on the forum, from your days “on the mountain” until now! The fact that you have given up internet and walk everywhere (in winter!) shows that you are super serious about your debt. (I think we’ve all been there in debt at one time or another. I know that I’ve had debt hanging over my head at times.)

Fantastic job with the surveys and writing. I think $40-$50 a month is great and $150 is amazing. (I’m happy if I make $5 a month on Bing.)

A few things about Redbox.
1. Sign up for their rewards program because they give credit even for free or very cheap rentals. They recently changed the program but hopefully this hasn’t changed.
2. You’ve perhaps noticed that most of the codes for free rentals are on weekdays and only last one day.
3. Sign up for emails/texts in multiple places. I originally signed up for emails with my “junk” email address. Then when I signed up for their rewards program I signed up with my regular email. I also get texts from them. (They don’t overwhelm with texts, usually once a week or twice at most.) I often get different offers from them at each address. Like this week I got a $1.25 code at my junk email but nothing at the other email or text.
4. Try the $1.25 codes. They are much more frequent than the free codes (at least for me) and it makes a movie only .27 (incl. sales tax)

You are doing fantastic and I enjoy reading about your success. I’m not very frugal these days (long story) but I enjoy my small successes.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Sheila, I have often pulled apart a knitted sweater for yarn to use in other projects.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Sheila I go to Dollar Tree and found out by accident my local Dollar Tree will accept manufactures coupons.. I know they do not have a lot of brand name foods but I have seen some..Not sure if your DT allows them or if you were already aware of it? I rarely get coupons since I no longer buy the paper but sometimes they come to me through other people or the mail

Janet, I do use a coupon at D.T. every now and then - gets me items like brand name toothpaste, dish soap, etc. for .50 or even .25 cents sometimes.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

This is a great idea. I have not saved coupons for things from DT, but now I will keep my eyes open. Thanks.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:12 pm Sheila, You are one of the people I admire most on the forum, from your days “on the mountain” until now! The fact that you have given up internet and walk everywhere (in winter!) shows that you are super serious about your debt. (I think we’ve all been there in debt at one time or another. I know that I’ve had debt hanging over my head at times.)

Fantastic job with the surveys and writing. I think $40-$50 a month is great and $150 is amazing. (I’m happy if I make $5 a month on Bing.)

A few things about Redbox.
1. Sign up for their rewards program because they give credit even for free or very cheap rentals. They recently changed the program but hopefully this hasn’t changed.
2. You’ve perhaps noticed that most of the codes for free rentals are on weekdays and only last one day.
3. Sign up for emails/texts in multiple places. I originally signed up for emails with my “junk” email address. Then when I signed up for their rewards program I signed up with my regular email. I also get texts from them. (They don’t overwhelm with texts, usually once a week or twice at most.) I often get different offers from them at each address. Like this week I got a $1.25 code at my junk email but nothing at the other email or text.
4. Try the $1.25 codes. They are much more frequent than the free codes (at least for me) and it makes a movie only .27 (incl. sales tax)

You are doing fantastic and I enjoy reading about your success. I’m not very frugal these days (long story) but I enjoy my small successes.
Thank you for the great tips, much appreciated! I hope you are doing well. I think of you and everyone - just very busy these days.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:08 pm Sheila, I have often pulled apart a knitted sweater for yarn to use in other projects.
Jackie, I don't quit have the hang of doing it successfully. I know you need to select a sweater with "good seams" - got that part. Finding THE ONE thread of yarn that starts the whole thing is my big challenge. Going to keep watching videos and practicing.

Luckily I can get an old sweater with "good seams" for .50 cents at the thrift store so it isn't costing me a lot to practice.