April No Waste/Recycle Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
gaylejackson2

Re: April No Waste/Recycle Challenge

Post by gaylejackson2 »

We used several garbage bags, and gloves on hand, to help in our neighborhood trash clean-up yesterday.

I used up 2 containers cool whip, 2 small containers of yogurt, 2 small packages of vanilla pudding, and a bag of frozen nectarines to make a creamy salad for the meal at church after the clean-up activity. I also used the 2 cans of mandarins bought for this purpose, dd5 helped me drink the juice.

Dh & kids finished off a box of Cheerios this morning, I trimmed out the boxtop before sending box to trash; the Boxtops will be divided and given to dd7 & ds10's teachers at last Parent-teacher conference.

I finished off a bag of catfood yesterday, and opened a new one.

Kids finished off a loaf of bread, and opened the last loaf from the freezer. (i need to get out the frozen bread dough & get it rising to bake.)

I hunted up balls of leftover acrylic yarn, I'll make "saltines" for my friend's afghan-making project with them. I also found cotton yarn, I want to make 2-4 knitted dishcloths (as gifts) for my friend who's marrying on Saturday.
ephofma

Post by ephofma »

This has been an interesting use it up week. A friend of ours with 5 young children has been having a hard time with her food stamps so I made up about 4 coolers and several bags of food from our house. We always keep extra on hand. We gave them meat, vegetables and baking from the freezer. Juices and breads from the refrigerator as well as fruits, vegetables, macaroni, rice and baking from the pantry. I will be needing to start building them back up but at least it was used and not wasted. I am disappointed that I ended up throwing away 1/2 pizza, and 2 half sandwiches left over from eating out. That pizza did not do well reheating in the microwave. Yesterday was Thrift Store day so I had several articles of clothing and a few other items from my office decluttering that went and I made another appointment in a month to encourage myself to keep at it. My office is moving forward but very slowly. I enjoy reading all your posts and derive a lot of encouragement from them. Thank you.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Falling a bit behind here.

Use it ups are many, and I will most likely forget one or two.

Used up a dentist sample toothpaste.

Used up all the brushes my dental assistant gave me for a special tooth brush so asked for more when I got my teeth cleaned.

Used up the leftover pork roast in a stir fry.

Used up the leftover beef roast in stroganoff.

Used up lots of bits and bobs of veggies in making the stir fry.

Used up some stashed fabric for my next sewing project.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Let's see.

I have had a few use it ups this week so far.

Used up a small ball of grey yarn on that blanket I am making.

Used up a container of dental floss.

Used up the rest of a carton of 18 eggs.

Used up the last container of stew.

Used up some body scrub.

Used up another hotel sized bottle of shampoo.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow, Jackielou. You are busy.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I came up with some ideas:

I found some ripped fitted sheets in the garage. Rather than rummage through my fabric stash for what I need to redo the bed pillows I will use these old sheets. Most of the fabric is still good and stronger than what is on the pillows now. So money saved and three items out of the garage.

Going through my plastic bag stash, sorting into sizes. I use these for freezing and also for carrying snack items to work. I have plastic shopping and newspaper bags in the garage. I will be sorting and reusing those as well.

I reuse those black plastic containers some foods come in as pet food dishes. Once the dog and cats have battered them around then they go into the recycling barrel. So while my cats may have 9 lives my recyclables have 3.

Bev