July Jamboree of Using Up And Recycling

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
ephofma

Re: July Jamboree of Using Up And Recycling

Post by ephofma »

I am in for July. We had a bit of a disaster last weekend in that our fridge/freezer decided to quit functioning properly. It was Monday before the repairman could come by and Tuesday before he could come back with the proper part. He suggested we put nothing in either until Wednesday. We lost a lot: ice cream, meat, milk, oj, eggs, fruit and more. Very sad. We managed to save a little and so we are starting our refrigerated and frozen foods over almost completely. Fortunately, with it being hurricane season we were already working on eating down what we had. So, at this point I have no use it ups from that department. However:

I used up 2 sample size tubes of toothpaste from the dentist office (beat the expire date)

1 used up 1 very old tube of body lotion (way past expire date but still good)
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I have been afraid that the frig/freezer would go too. I bought an old chest freezer from my neighbor and I also bought a large, high quality cooler on sale. I have stopped buying ice cream which I consider the most vulnerable food if the power goes out or the frig breaks. It is always a concern during hurricane season.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I used up another tube of toothpaste(cut it open) that hubs could not get anymore out of. I also bought a large mouthwash cheap and refill hubs bottle from it. He requires a small bottle due to his weakened condition.
AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget »

Did pretty good today using up left overs from my family reunion. Hubby had the rest of the BLT pasta salad. Peter finished up the last of the peanut butter sandwiches ( I take these for little ones who may not like or be able to eat other things at the reunion)
For dessert tonight with dinner we finished off the rest of the seedless watermelon that has been in the fridge since last weekend.

Used up the last of a bottle of laundry detergent on Thursday washing up the table clothes from reunion. I will recycle the bottle by filling it with home made laundry detergent once I have used up my last bottle of store bought.
Aunt Bridget
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I seem to be falling behind here.

Used up the container of laundry pods.

Used up a container of kitty litter. Hubby is recycling this into a holder for some of his bits and bobs in the workroom. I will have to make a label for it, but that is minor.

Used up the leftover salmon fillet in a sandwich last night.

Used up a loaf of bread.

Used up the English muffins.

Used up more rhubarb (still have a bit to use and I think I will make a couple of rhubarb pudding cakes for youngest DS to take home...plenty of rhubarb in the garden still).

Used up a skein of yarn making my wrap.

Hubby recycled a bit of string and some stakes from scrap lumber to make a cage to hold up my tomato plant on the deck.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Used up a bottle of dish washing detergent.