Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Post by Dgflorida »

This week, I used up several cans of fruit and a can of beans. The fruit and beans were bought for the last fall hurricane season. Hubs must now restrict fruit on his low carb diet, so we eat a can of fruit for 3 evenings in very small portions. I have about 4 cans left. The beans must be limited too because beans are theoretically carb. I am not as concerned with cooked beans. We have a few on lunch salads and in stir fry. I have about 8 cans left. Working on reducing them. We have a lot of canned fish that I need to start using up. I need a rice substitute and hubs said no to riced cauliflower. We have a lot of canned pasta sauce. Hubs has accepted zucchini pasta, so hope to reduce that pantry item. It probably has sugar in it, so I have it only occasionally. And right now, zucchini is pretty expensive. Think that will take some time. The rest of the pantry is cat food or green beans and mushrooms. Those are always used up. That is my mid month pantry situation.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

This week I managed to use up a package of pork chops, two packages of ground beef (made a really large meatloaf), the remains of a container of shell pasta, a loaf of bread, some homemade hamburger patties, and a container of bread machine yeast.

Not too badly done.

Hopefully more will get used up in the following weeks. Hubby agrees that things need to get cleared out.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I decided to give most of the cans of pasta sauce, potatoes and corn and unopened pasta to the local food pantry. I will never use it up before it expires. We will eat the fruit and beans though.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Today, I needed to start a new jar of coconut oil and I forgot where in the pantry I put it. :lol:
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up the container of bread machine yeast.

Used up a package of leftover ham.

Used up the remaining green beans.

Used up an onion.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Canned goods and dry goods are off to the charity pantry. They provide for the old carnies, the retired or unemployed circus people who live in a small community nearby. They are poor, so it feels good to know where the food will go.